Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 21514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
We should treat the last eight games as strictly development trying a few things......Boekhorst, Graham, Charlie, Jaksch, Gowers and hopefully Big H should play as many games as possible.

Reply #32
Jaksch got a positive assessment from Fraser so he could be in with a chance.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Will be interesting with 9 games to go to see if there is a shift in selection thinking. No point have these player on the list if we don't give a few a chance in the last few rounds, some might sparkle in the higher league, better players around them .

Reply #34
Will be interesting with 9 games to go to see if there is a shift in selection thinking. No point have these player on the list if we don't give a few a chance in the last few rounds, some might sparkle in the higher league, better players around them .

x 2..Honeymoon is over and we need to cull some more deadwood, which means trying the untried before we cut them loose....

Reply #35
x 2..Honeymoon is over and we need to cull some more deadwood, which means trying the untried before we cut them loose....

Agree. However, the critical area in this game will be the midfield IMO. If we can't do better than last game we'll get crushed irrespective of who we've got in the F50.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36

The honeymoon sure is over. A few weeks ago we were the flavour of the month (after 4 consecutive wins) and now we're on the nose again. Deservedly so. Apart from a few, many of our blokes seem to have lost that something extra... as Ross Lyon put it the other night, 'trying but not REALLY trying.' You can tolerate not having good enough cattle but the 3 games have been p1ss poor.

I agree with playing blokes from the NBs to see what they have but not the non-performers. No easy games. No promotions for the sake of it. We still must value senior selection and continue the 'culture build'.

You could mount a 'reasonable or better form case' for giving Jones another crack (couldn't do any worse than Casboult/Everitt), Jaksch (so we don't die wondering), Gowers, Buckley, Rainbow and Graham. Another go in the twos and Boekhorst should be ready to go and Gorringe and Den Den might be ready to return. When Charlie, Harry and Cuningham have had good twos time, give them a crack. And give SOJ a few games on the run. And let's think seriously about resting/dropping Casboult/Kreuz/Cripps (give those knees a rest), Everitt, Walker, Sumner... (I really like Sumner but he's looked r00ted recently).

I hope the coaching staff are making their own assessments along with SOS... in other words, but out Macca.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
So last year we were a basket case, made heaps of changes, lost the first four(?) games this year, had a streak where we won a few - some wins were very ugly - all of a sudden finals were being talked about, the last 2-3 weeks have been back to the first four game standard and now we're talking honeymoons being over?

This to me says the worst that could have happened is to win those games, as expectation changed, a lot.  The reality is that the situation that we were in at the start of the year is still that and we need to ensure we don't get in front of ourselves.  There are still many issues with the list and they will take time to sort out.  People want to see the kids given a chance in the seniors, but don't want to gift games - typically you get one or the other.

The tougher thing about being a supporter is that you don't know what is actually happening behind the scenes - what the coaches are looking for in players and their roles.  This could explain why some get a game while others don't.

I think we will get beaten by a lot this week, which is probably what we would have said at the start of the year.  It doesn't mean that improvement hasn't been made - there have been significant steps taken, but it is where our list/talent is.

Reply #38
I think the Saints game was a bit of a shock to our guys but I don't think they gave themselves a chance v the Giants. Beaten before we ran out.

Pies? We lost by two kicks. Murph plays and we win.

I reckon we might go ok this weekend.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #39
I think the Saints game was a bit of a shock to our guys but I don't think they gave themselves a chance v the Giants. Beaten before we ran out.

Pies? We lost by two kicks. Murph plays and we win.

I reckon we might go ok this weekend.

A couple of quality mids would make a big improvement to us Cimm. Not saying we would be premiership material but we'd be a lot better.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
A couple of quality mids would make a big improvement to us Cimm. Not saying we would be premiership material but we'd be a lot better.

Yep.

I think people will be surprised at just how much difference 2 more (quality) mids would make.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #41
Yep.

I think people will be surprised at just how much difference 2 more (quality) mids would make.

And a quality tall forward...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #42
I don't give a stuff who comes in, but someone has to come in and give Casboult a chop out. I could care less if it's Jaksch or Jones...but it has to be one of them.

Casboult is being used as the outlet marking option long from kick ins, or on the wing and we wonder why he's not taking grabs in front of goal or inside 50 like he was earlier in the season...the bloke cannot be expected to do everything, plus the oppo has worked out he's the only one over 190cm that needs to be manned up!

Make shifting it with medium forwards like Walker and Everett ain't working either. Junk time goals are papering over their enormous cracks.

And while we're at it...if the coaching staff aren't telling Tuohy to keep it more simple, then they're not doing their jobs. He's trying too much and it's not coming off. In fact, he's been terrible. First instruction should be to ban that play on, stat building kick out, which invariably results in the ball coming straight back in and costing us goals!

Actually it's not coincidence we started winning games, and eventually kicking alot more goals, when we picked a second key forward. First time was against Freo and we won 6 of our next 7.

Reply #43
Actually it's not coincidence we started winning games, and eventually kicking alot more goals, when we picked a second key forward.

I didn't know we had one, let alone two, who are these people and where have they been hiding?
Seriously though, when's Murphy going to play again?
We're buggered without him.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #44
Jones is 4-1 this year. 4-0 with Levi playing.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!