Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 22563 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #75
You mentioned speed and chasing arses.....it reminded me of that tackle and how well Army has done since coming back. Both have speed and can chase.

Wasn't attacking you, just following on from your train of thought.

Actually, and I haven't looked up any stats on this, I would put Army up as one of our stronger tacklers. His tackles seem to stick.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
Actually, and I haven't looked up any stats on this, I would put Army up as one of our stronger tacklers. His tackles seem to stick.

Don't know the best way of interpreting the stats, but Army is ranked 21st for both total and average tackles this season. Ed Curnow and Cripps are 1 and 2 for both total and average. Curnow 7.2 tackles per game. That's pretty impressive. Priddis is the league's leading tackler - 142 tackles over 16 games, 8.8 per game.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/footy/player-statistics

Reply #77
Only tackle stats of interest are the amount made and the amount that were stuck causing stoppage or turnover.....if the player releases the ball to advantage when tackled then it isnt a successful tackle IMO...

Reply #78
Don't know the best way of interpreting the stats, but Army is ranked 21st for both total and average tackles this season. Ed Curnow and Cripps are 1 and 2 for both total and average. Curnow 7.2 tackles per game. That's pretty impressive. Priddis is the league's leading tackler - 142 tackles over 16 games, 8.8 per game.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/footy/player-statistics

Yes Paul, as I say I just noticed that when Army does tackle they do seem to stick. I'm a bit surprised he's that far down the pecking order in terms of numbers but there you go.

Reply #79
It
Its because he grew up playing Rugby Union.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Best chase down I've ever seen by a Carlton player, could you imagine Yarran who is quicker doing that?

Going off topic here did anyone see how awesome Geelong's back line performed without Henderson on Saturday night?

Most of the commentary I've heard have stated that he's had a good season, and that he's been an excellent addition to the team. That hit he took a couple of weeks ago did his reputation no harm at all.

If Daisy had even half the positive impact Hendo's had...................

Reply #81
Most of the commentary I've heard have stated that he's had a good season, and that he's been an excellent addition to the team. That hit he took a couple of weeks ago did his reputation no harm at all.

Exactly.  Hendo has been an excellent addition to the Geelong defence.  It's just unfortunate that he didn't show the same effort in his last season with us.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
Exactly.  Hendo has been an excellent addition to the Geelong defence.  It's just unfortunate that he didn't show the same effort in his last season with us.

And that right there is why his reputation will always take a hit. >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #83

We all knew he would.

Last season was as much about the players losing faith in the club as it was anything else.

When the club calls season over in round 3 there is not much you can say about guys who revert to just going and then walk out at the end of the year, but it does tell you about their desire or lack of it which is why none of them will ever win a flag.

Interesting enough last year when the going got tough the tough got going and got rough, thinking of Kreuzer, Ed Curnow,  Patrick cripps and a few others who are with us.  I think the blokes who should be most worried about their future with us are those that went missing last season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #84
We all knew he would.

Last season was as much about the players losing faith in the club as it was anything else.

When the club calls season over in round 3 there is not much you can say about guys who revert to just going and then walk out at the end of the year, but it does tell you about their desire or lack of it which is why none of them will ever win a flag.

Interesting enough last year when the going got tough the tough got going and got rough, thinking of Kreuzer, Ed Curnow,  Patrick cripps and a few others who are with us.  I think the blokes who should be most worried about their future with us are those that went missing last season.
I didn't understand this post the first time I read it, but after reading it a couple of times, I finally understood what you meant and I concur 1000%. I watched a doco/series on Anna Meares on the weekend (she is a sporting hero of mine) and her old coach made a statement along the lines of "you are only as good as your worst day" meaning flashes of brilliance every now and then amount to nothing if you are very ordinary the rest of the time. This applies to the three that left us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #85

Over their careers, I'd say Daisy has put his body on the line resulting injury a hell of a lot more than Hendo. In fact, it was the first time I have ever seen mummies boy go back with the flight and I have watched him plenty over the years. About time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86
Hendo is going OK at the Cats and he knows that he has to if he wants to keep his spot and be a success there. He can't afford to slacken off else he 'll be out. He wasn't worried about that with us because he actually wanted out. OK, he annoyed us for that attitude but comparing his efforts now with his final year with us is a bit pointless IMO.

Reply #87
Interesting point GITC, does one therefore judge a player on their best game, their worst game or their "average" (given that average performance is an abstract concept and that the previous two states are what is delivered in reality?)... what they are capable of or what they normally deliver?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #88
Interesting point GITC, does one therefore judge a player on their best game, their worst game or their "average" (given that average performance is an abstract concept and that the previous two states are what is delivered in reality?)... what they are capable of or what they normally deliver?
I think its probably a combination of:
1. Minimizing the gap between your best and your worst;
2. Performing at the higher end for longer and consistently.
Yarran for example, quick and extremely talented agreed?. His best was elite, his worst was abhorrent (IMO). Over his career thus far, he has probably had what one good year? If he didnt have the off field distractions and had the dedication of a Chris Judd? We would be talking about Yarran as a 1 in a 100 year player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
I didn't understand this post the first time I read it, but after reading it a couple of times, I finally understood what you meant and I concur 1000%. I watched a doco/series on Anna Meares on the weekend (she is a sporting hero of mine) and her old coach made a statement along the lines of "you are only as good as your worst day" meaning flashes of brilliance every now and then amount to nothing if you are very ordinary the rest of the time. This applies to the three that left us.

Shouldn't a player be judged over their entire career, rather than cherry picking a good or bad game here and there ?

Hendo was a former top 10 pick, who apart from last year, gave us good service. The Cats were prepared to offer a future 1st rounder to secure him, and his first season with them has been positively reviewed. He wasn't the only one who stunk it up last year and looked like they'd rather be elsewhere.