Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 59933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #15
Rowe will probably help in the ruck against man mountain Sandi with Phillips and Gorringe out. Wouldn't want MK to do it all himself.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #16
So do i....partially because i want to see everyone complain when he isn't up to the standard they'd pumped him up to be in their own minds.

People have already jumped off Smedts and Palmer. Might as well add another one to the list.  ::)

Not quite sure what standard you're referring to - most on here just want him to be a useful contributor - some are more sure of this eventuating than others. Even the most eternal of optimists on here aren't expecting him to be a star in our team.

The season hasn't even started yet. Perhaps we should give him a chance first.

Reply #17
Let me elaborate.

Right now, Alex Silvagni is a bright new shiny toy in an unopened box. Our imaginations are running wild with all his tricks of the trade. We've all read about what he CAN do. Since he is still in his box, we are yet to find out what he cannot do.

He will remain as 'the great white hope' (as our other recruits were - in which most automatically made our best 22) and will be called for as an in each and every week we lose as a fix.
Then, finally we take him out of the box and play him. Then we see him for who he is, warts and all. Maybe he does ok, maybe not. But i doubt he'll be able to live up to everyones expectations of him.

The sooner we take him out of the box, the sooner we can see he's just 'malibu stacy with a new hat' and we can move on.

Not following??
See Jaksch in 2016.

I can't really see any link between Jaksch and Silvagni.  Jaksch was a speculative trade with long term potential and considerable doubts about his ability to play AFL.  Nothing has really changed although the doubts are mounting and the potential is diminishing.

Alex Silvagni is a mature age rookie added to our list to provide cover in the event that we lose a defender to a long term injury.  While a couple of posters think that he will be elevated to allow Weitering to go forward, I doubt whether he'll play a game at senior level.  If he does get the opportunity, I'm sure that he will perform adequately, as his career with Fremantle suggests.

I couldn't give a flying fudge at a rolling donut about people's expectations but I doubt whether anyone sees him as the 'great white hope'.  He's a good ordinary footballer who I think will fill a short term need. I'd love him to prove me wrong by playing 50 games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Let me elaborate.

Right now, Alex Silvagni is a bright new shiny toy in an unopened box. Our imaginations are running wild with all his tricks of the trade. We've all read about what he CAN do. Since he is still in his box, we are yet to find out what he cannot do.

He will remain as 'the great white hope' (as our other recruits were - in which most automatically made our best 22) and will be called for as an in each and every week we lose as a fix.
Then, finally we take him out of the box and play him. Then we see him for who he is, warts and all. Maybe he does ok, maybe not. But i doubt he'll be able to live up to everyones expectations of him.

The sooner we take him out of the box, the sooner we can see he's just 'malibu stacy with a new hat' and we can move on.

Not following??
See Jaksch in 2016.

Alex S was dumped by Freo so he is more of a used toy in a supermarket recycle bag thats been left outside an op shop, nothing shiny about him...dont think there are too many high expectations of him other than steady the ship down back when required and plug some leaks
Palmer was offloaded for salary cap reasons if you believe the rumours at the time and Smedts was a busted up truck that had been in the Cats backyard and was off to the wreckers if we had not been interested.
If we get some decent games out of them its a bonus, if we get nothing then its disappointing but no tragedy...

Reply #19
Alex Silvagni - meh, but good luck to the bloke. Clearly can play the game at the highest level....but would have preferred other in the draft.

Palmer - will be very good for us, give the bloke more than 2 pre season games. Got picked in the PF team for GWS FFS.

Smedts - who knows, could be a 150 game player or a 10 game player for the Blues. The Cats' rated him highly but rumours I heard (or read perhaps?) was that he liked to party pretty hard....and he's had some really rotten luck injury wise.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
Problem I have is that we traded Touhy for an underweight pick and a player, who ended up being Smedts because Caddy, Lang, Cockatoo et al. were either not available or told us to F off.  Thus, there is some weight of expectation for Smedts to balance out the deal, so yes I do have a problem if he ends up another list clogger.  Seriously, I'd only have picked Smedts before about 2 blokes from their list and we got stiffed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
Alex Silvagni will be an honest contributor and help when we get injuries, I think he will be better than people might suggest. I think he will certainly keep the pressure on Simon White who I see him potentially replacing.

As for Smedts, a couple of games I saw him in for Geelong he looked a bit of a goer but like all players needs a run at it and some confidence. We'll know by mid year what he has, and I think that will hold for his career. If he can stay injury free and get a run at it he might be something - remember Ed Curnows early career many wrote him off, he was fumbly and didn't hit targets, got caught with it etc. Smedts might end up being a classier version and if so that's value to the club.

Really hoping that Macreadie comes on, he really could be the smokey but early days.

Reply #22
Alex Silvagni and Simon White will give our team similar.

Similar size, and similar ability.

If his name wasn't Silvagni, he may not have even gotten the opportunity.

He will provide valuable experience to a young VFL side, and if required to play in the seniors, he will perform his role to the best of his ability, but lets not pretend that he is going to be a super valuable commodity.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Problem I have is that we traded Touhy for an underweight pick and a player, who ended up being Smedts because Caddy, Lang, Cockatoo et al. were either not available or told us to F off.  Thus, there is some weight of expectation for Smedts to balance out the deal, so yes I do have a problem if he ends up another list clogger.  Seriously, I'd only have picked Smedts before about 2 blokes from their list and we got stiffed.

Agree on Smedts... reminds me of the guy we got from Richmond when Grigg left.

Marchbank is part of the equation, and from all reports, looks like he can play.

Reply #24

Marchbank is part of the equation, and from all reports, looks like he can play.

you mean Andrew Collins ? If BS can stay on the park, he's better than Collins, that's for sure.

We don't want too much BS on the park though. Or off it for that matter.

Reply #25

Make no mistake, Smedts can play and play very well. Whether he'll do that at Carlton only time will tell, but it's last chance for him, no question....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
The major concern about Smedts has to be that of injury, where his record is poor. If he can avoid that he could be quite a handy player for us over the next couple of years, imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #27

Not sure I entirely agree Prof.  The pick we got for Tuohy was crucial in getting Marchbank and Pickett and, from what I've seen of Marchbank, we seem to be ahead already.  We also picked up Kerr with one of the picks we got for Tuohy and, while that may or may not bear fruit, it's a good news story.

Smedts, if he can stay on the park, will be a decent player. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
Happy to hold fire on Smedts... but he looks really skinny for a guy who has been on a list for a few years.

Reply #29
Happy to hold fire on Smedts... but he looks really skinny for a guy who has been on a list for a few years.
They are all skinnier or more trim these days.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time