Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 35654 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
I'm a bit surprised at the negative sentiment of some posters. I thought the effort was terrific. Was also proud of the efforts of senior players like Murphy and Thomas. Plenty of positives from younger players like Macreadie and SPS. My main disappointment was Casboult, though I think C Curnow's form will probably mean that if anyone makes way for Mackay, it will be him.

Reply #46
While not many will give him credit thought Rowe was terrific today.

Beat 2 flogs in 2 consecutive weeks.

X2
You and I must be watching through the same brand of Navy goggles Shawny  8) O0
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #47
I'm a bit surprised at the negative sentiment of some posters. I thought the effort was terrific. Was also proud of the efforts of senior players like Murphy and Thomas. Plenty of positives from younger players like Macreadie and SPS. My main disappointment was Casboult, though I think C Curnow's form will probably mean that if anyone makes way for Mackay, it will be him.

Disappointing loss given some of our senior players turned the footy over at the wrong time and Melbourne are crape.....I had Melbourne as being on the rise but they are crape IMO and if a sook like Hogan is their key to success then I'd be taking the winter off and taking the Range Rover to the snow if I was a Melbourne supporter...
We could have and should have won that game IMO...

Reply #48
Also, 2 weeks in a row, our opposition has got it into space very easily from a contested situation with a few quick hand balls or a pearcing kick. In complete contrast,  we seem to have oppo players in our face and strangling us for room and force us to turn it over more often than not through rushed disposals. Is it a set up thing?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
We need a small-medium running defender who can kick.  Gus in, White out.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
We need a small-medium running defender who can kick.  Gus in, White out.
I'd give that a crack.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Seems we've got the defensive half just about nailed.  Young talls such as Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering and MacCredie and young smaller types like Doc and Pickett should mature into a tight combination.  And we have Byrne to come back in too.  It's been ages since we had such a foundation. 

The scoreline shows how difficult we can now be to score against. 

Reply #52
Seems we've got the defensive half just about nailed.  Young talls such as Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering and MacCredie and young smaller types like Doc and Pickett should mature into a tight combination.  And we have Byrne to come back in too.  It's been ages since we had such a foundation. 

The scoreline shows how difficult we can now be to score against.

From a durability perspective they won't survive the season, they are very lightweight.

But it's good signs for next season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
As for ins next week.

Definites: Palmer, Boekhurst (for Army) - for the run.

Harry for Levi? Hmmm, HAS THE TIME COME?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
From a durability perspective they won't survive the season, they are very lightweight.

Why is this LP? We always seem to be a lighter side.
We have height but no bulk.
Even Levi gets pushed over toooo easily.
We don't even have the speed.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #55
As for ins next week.

Definites: Palmer, Boekhurst (for Army) - for the run.

Harry for Levi? Hmmm, HAS THE TIME COME?

I'd give Casboult one more crack as he doesnt mind playing Essendon and include either Jones or Harry to get some heat off him....Bombers have some taller defenders
and we need two talls at least to keep them honest...
Palmer should have played this week....kicks goals and can at least hit a target...Boekhorst worries me with his lack of grunt and we dont want any passengers in terms of
getting physical vs the chemical kids...

Reply #56
I'd give Casboult one more crack as he doesnt mind playing Essendon and include either Jones or Harry to get some heat off him....Bombers have some taller defenders
and we need two talls at least to keep them honest...
Palmer should have played this week....kicks goals and can at least hit a target...Boekhorst worries me with his lack of grunt and we dont want any passengers in terms of
getting physical vs the chemical kids...

I'm no fan of BB, but he can provide real outside run and he needs to be given a chsnce in the 1s before papers stamped? (ditto Jaksch) Something we're really lacking and as a swap for Army little downside?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
In general I was thrilled that we were so competitive for so long. Obviously that was lacking early and again late. The knock on was we were doing twice as much, fatiguing, and making brain and body booboos. It didn't help a couple of players went off for medical attention, and Crippa and Rowe coped head knocks. On Rowe, another strong game virtually nullifying a star forward. Crippa, similarly, is building every quarter. You'd never guess his limited PS.

Sammo. Welcome to the big league. He looks so at home and now has his first major on the board. Now that was something to savour.

Smedts and Pickett were good. They need some consistency and will grow quickly Imo.

The defense was great in general. Gee McCreadie is looking like a star in the making. Early days I know, but looked like he'd really learned from his errors last week.

Big Kruez was solid again. If he keeps this up, he might give us a sneaky advantage. We all know our Achilles heel up forward and in the middle. Add some quality in the middle (Fyfe might pay us to rescue him from the stinking ship) and ease in our young forwards and we're on the way.

I hope the sook and the highly respected Lewis  :o get what they deserve. Lowly indeed. I though Rowe looked dazed, hope he wasn't concussed.

I agree that it was the one that got away, but think we were honest and courageous with some limitations. No doubt our youngsters will replace them in time, when they're good and ready.

Go young Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #58
Bolton's presser - woo hoo - finally sounds like an AFL coach and not like an Antipodean variant of a California guru.

Seemed to think the boys went down the corridor too much. I thought that's when we looked most dangerous.

Reply #59
I don't understand why Gibbs and Murphy don't come under more scrutiny on here. I can understand young kids making bad skill errors but when your leaders are constantly doing it, what hope have we got. Some of Murphy's kicking and handballing was diabolical. First quarter we are on the attack with some quick handpassing and Murphy handballs it directly to a Dee 2 metres away. This is our Captain. And constantly picking the wrong option and handpassing to players who are tackled as soon as they receive it.
And we are behind with time running out and Gibbs kicks across field (instead of down field) and it was never going to get to it's target. Goal. That's another one of our leaders.
I get this year will be frustrating and I also get that the guys gave 100% today. But when our so called 'A Graders' are making these errors, it doesn't set much of an example for the kids to follow.
Armfield was disgraceful.
I think it was the kids and Simpson and Kruezer that kept us in that game.
JC