Skip to main content
Topic: "Bell Ready For Ringadingdinger" (One For Elwood) (Read 32900 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Bell Ready For Ringadingdinger" (One For Elwood)

Reply #15
Bells kicking wasn't great at all but he found the ball when others couldn't and moved fast for a big kid in the second half. Needs work but is what we need.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #16
He Realised it was a final didn't he? So many times, gave up on first option, to take on the player and got caught. 2 shots in the last, barely scored...

Think he is a long way off..potential..but a long way off.

He is still a way off but we are very small without him in the midfield and he needs to play every week and get taught the smarts of the game.....
I thought Bruce Mac on Ch7 appreciated his game and the potential he has......

Reply #17
He Realised it was a final didn't he? So many times, gave up on first option, to take on the player and got caught. 2 shots in the last, barely scored...

Was my worst in navy blue today. Daylight second.

The kid has the size and attitude right. Needs to wrap his head around the subtleties of the game and learn how to kick though.

Tad harsh. I had McInnes taking those honours and Zac had a nothing day.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #18
Bell - 17 touches, 6 clangers, DE 52.9%

Yes, his presence is good and i acknowledge as much, but if he is only a 50-50 chance of finding a teammate when he has the ball, what is the point?

If we remove him from the game today....every time he actually got the ball, we say it was a 50-50 contest instead...what have we lost?
What we have lost is another player who is more capable of finding a teammate when they get it.

re Menzel...didn't get much of a chance to get into the game
re Walker...6 R50's, 3 1%ers, 14 touches @ 78.6%. Not a great game, but better than bell.
re McInness...at least he found a teammate 4 / 5 times he got the ball. =2nd in 1%ers (with 6) showed he was putting in in the backline too.
re Tuohy...13 touches @ 69%. Did what was required without dominating.

Sorry, but next week swap Bell and McLean and lets go to Sydney.

Reply #19
@Krudds

The point is though MM stuck with him because he clearly believes he needed to face a full game of intensity for his development. No doubt he will be made to watch the game during the week and cop the scrutiny he deserves. But a game like that might see him turn the corner even if Brock forces him out against the Swans.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #20

Yes, his presence is good and i acknowledge as much, but if he is only a 50-50 chance of finding a teammate when he has the ball, what is the point?

If we remove him from the game today....every time he actually got the ball, we say it was a 50-50 contest instead...what have we lost?
What we have lost is another player who is more capable of finding a teammate when they get it.

re Walker...6 R50's, 3 1%ers, 14 touches @ 78.6%. Not a great game, but better than bell.
re McInness...at least he found a teammate 4 / 5 times he got the ball. =2nd in 1%ers (with 6) showed he was putting in in the backline too.

Not for me...Bell is the future, we are not going to win the flag this year and I want finals games into Bell....ditto for McInnes who couldnt get near it, ditto for Menzel and even Yarran who didnt do a lot either
Mclean has a quad doesnt he?...dont see him playing anyway

Touhy was flogged by Edwards and only saved by poor kicking IMO.....thought he was only average overall but again is the future and needs game time against the best players....

Reply #21

Was my worst in navy blue today. Daylight second.

The kid has the size and attitude right. Needs to wrap his head around the subtleties of the game and learn how to kick though.

From where I was sitting Bell was a lot higher on the pecking order.  His physicality was very important, he won his own ball and he created opportunities for team mates with his attack on the ball and his willingness to take the game on.

Yes, Bell made a few errors (who didn't) and was on the wrong end of some umpiring decisions but he was one of the prime movers in our resurgence.

I must admit thinking at half time that we can only afford one of Robbo and Bell in the side (and in the last quarter Robbo was definitely the one to go), but both more than proved their worth.

If I had to nominate players who didn't perform as well as Bell, I would say Tuohy (absolute shocker), McInnes (couldn't get into the game), Menzel (not much opportunity), Yarran (OK in flashes), Kreuzer (got a few hitouts but did little else), Warnock (won the hitouts and kicked a nice goal but did bugger all around the ground), Garlett (flashed in and out), Armfield (serviceable) . . .

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
That got me thinking today. Richmond had a sub early. Robinson looked like he stuffed his hammy early and Kreuzer did his ankle. Mick didn't activate his sub. He patched the players up and off they went back on the field looking stiff and not 100%. Not needing to use the sub until the last quarter probably went along way towards us getting over the line.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #23

Its not about Bell winning the ball every time either its about Bell blocking or getting his body in the way and preventing an opposing player getting the footy.....Bell and Robbo did the dirty work today and deserve full credit regardless of clangars etc.....you ask Daniel Jackson, Trent Cotchin if they like having Bells big frame coming their way or in Jacksons case looking over your shoulder which he did a couple of times.
Against Sydney both Murphy and Gibbs will be tagged heavily and will need some big bodies in the scrum to help them out......

Reply #24
Bell sort of redeemed himself later in the game but I thought he was very ordinary earlier on. He's slow of mind in particular IMO - just not yet in tune with the pace of the game at this level, and that caused a couple of very embarrassing incidents. Did look better though as time went on - we probably need to get more senior footy into him and the finals will help him enormously.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25

Its not about Bell winning the ball every tim either its about Bell blocking or getting his body in the way and preventing an opposing player getting the footy.....Bell and Robbo did the dirty work today and deserve full credit regardless of clangars etc.....you ask Daniel Jackson, Trent Cotchin if they like having Bells big frame coming their way or in Jacksons case looking over your shoulder which he did a couple of times.
Against Sydney both Murphy and Gibbs will be tagged heavily and will need some big bodies in the scrum to help them out......

This is where a "like" function would be good.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
Ranked 10th in Dream Team points today for Carlton, for what it's worth.

Reply #27
Bells kicking wasn't great at all but he found the ball when others couldn't and moved fast for a big kid in the second half. Needs work but is what we need.

It's why, for all the frustration at times, players like Bell and Robbo are so important in tough finals.

We learnt how important Waite and Betts are too and why I'd be happy to pay the latter good $$$$

Reply #28

It's why, for all the frustration at times, players like Bell and Robbo are so important in tough finals.

We learnt how important Waite and Betts are too and why I'd be happy to pay the latter good $$$$

And that's another "like"!

Reply #29

Dead right Jim. Eddie's easily the most important of the amigos IMO. I'm knocked out too that Waite is back in the room - I'd pretty much given up on him but its great to see him firing - I'd almost forgotten how good he can be.
Reality always wins in the end.