Skip to main content
Topic: "Bell Ready For Ringadingdinger" (One For Elwood) (Read 32903 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Bell Ready For Ringadingdinger" (One For Elwood)

Reply #45
Bell is far from guaranteed a spot in the best 22 AT PRESENT with what is is offering us. He is not useless, nor beyond becoming a star. However, currently, his benefit to the side is questionable.

I guess the question remains. Is it of greater benefit for MM to back him in and risk more  F/ups to help fast track his development in the pressure cooker of finals? Or does he just drop him and say keep working at it son, you aint there yet?

That is something that mick needs to work out. If it was me, and Brock was fit, Bell wouldn't be playing this week.

I doubt Bell will play all 22 games next year though. I think there will be a bit of "go back and work on these things for a few weeks" in there somewhere.

Reply #46
Vossy nominated him as this weeks Finals Unsung Hero. Makes some points that have already been said here.

From AFL.com.au

Carlton v Richmond
Tom Bell
An in-and-out player at Carlton this year, Bell was a consistent contributor all day in just his 15th senior game and first final.

Originally from my junior club at Morningside in Brisbane, he was just about the Blues' best player at half-time, when they were 26 points down and should have been dead and buried.

A mountain of a young man making full use of his huge motor to get up and down the ground, he was running when most of his Carlton teammates weren't running in the first half. For a player who didn't know he was even playing until final selection on Saturday his was a really telling effort, helping to lay a platform on which a lot of more senior teammates cashed in after half-time.

Sure, he let himself down when he had a couple of chances to finish off his work, and a big turnover just before half-time which set up a Trent Cotchin goal could have been critical. But without him across the half-forward line and in the middle Carlton would have been in trouble. And when he starts to use the footy a little better he's going to be a player. A similar role awaits this week, when at least he should be confident of getting a game.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #47
Bell is far from guaranteed a spot in the best 22 AT PRESENT with what is is offering us. He is not useless, nor beyond becoming a star. However, currently, his benefit to the side is questionable.

I guess the question remains. Is it of greater benefit for MM to back him in and risk more  F/ups to help fast track his development in the pressure cooker of finals? Or does he just drop him and say keep working at it son, you aint there yet?

That is something that mick needs to work out. If it was me, and Brock was fit, Bell wouldn't be playing this week.

I doubt Bell will play all 22 games next year though. I think there will be a bit of "go back and work on these things for a few weeks" in there somewhere.

There is nothing wrong with that if it teaches him that he has to fine tune his skills and earn a place in the starting 22. He won't be the only one either.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #48
Vossy nominated him as this weeks Finals Unsung Hero. Makes some points that have already been said here.

From AFL.com.au

Carlton v Richmond
Tom Bell
An in-and-out player at Carlton this year, Bell was a consistent contributor all day in just his 15th senior game and first final.

Originally from my junior club at Morningside in Brisbane, he was just about the Blues' best player at half-time, when they were 26 points down and should have been dead and buried.

A mountain of a young man making full use of his huge motor to get up and down the ground, he was running when most of his Carlton teammates weren't running in the first half. For a player who didn't know he was even playing until final selection on Saturday his was a really telling effort, helping to lay a platform on which a lot of more senior teammates cashed in after half-time.

Sure, he let himself down when he had a couple of chances to finish off his work, and a big turnover just before half-time which set up a Trent Cotchin goal could have been critical. But without him across the half-forward line and in the middle Carlton would have been in trouble.And when he starts to use the footy a little better he's going to be a player. A similar role awaits this week, when at least he should be confident of getting a game.

I've re-highlighted what i think are the important parts.

Vossy is sticking up for a 'mate'

He let himself down a couple of times and cost us a goal which could have been critical. When he starts to use the footy better he will be a player.

I've said the same things. I've even said that because we won, we glossed over those points in which we could be critical of him.

Vossy just backed up what i said, but turned it into a positive simply because we won, and it didn't cost us the game.

Reply #49
Bell hasn't had much exposure at AFL level to be honest. We can be very critical of his mistakes, but we could also say the same about Walker in the back 50m who shanks some kicks like it is his first season. Bell is able to use his size and speed at VFL level, but needs to learn that AFL level is much faster. As for his kicking accuracy, that does Micks head in with all our players. He thinks it might be above the shoulders. I myself hate watching him and others bump rather than stick a tackle.

Bell looks like he could be a well above average player. If he continues to get the ball often, at worse he would attract attention as a trade. Tell me teams wouldn't want what he has at their club with some developing in him. Give him a couple of seasons and he could be something.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #50

From AFL.com.au

Carlton v Richmond
Tom Bell

Sure, he let himself down when he had a couple of chances to finish off his work, and a big turnover just before half-time which set up a Trent Cotchin goal could have been critical. But without him across the half-forward line and in the middle Carlton would have been in trouble.And when he starts to use the footy a little better he's going to be a player. A similar role awaits this week, when at least he should be confident of getting a game.

I've re-highlighted what i think are the important parts.

Vossy is sticking up for a 'mate'

He let himself down a couple of times and cost us a goal which could have been critical. When he starts to use the footy better he will be a player.

I've said the same things. I've even said that because we won, we glossed over those points in which we could be critical of him.

Vossy just backed up what i said, but turned it into a positive simply because we won, and it didn't cost us the game.

Or sticking up for his old club, I mean calling Bell the unsung hero is a bit of a stretch.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #51
Maybe but what coaches look for have always been different to what many of us and media look at.

He's definitely not gifted with skill but if Mick can do a bit of development with him I reckon he will be valuable in years to come.  If we are still guessing in 12 mths then I'd definitely re evaluate.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #52
Bell is going to be a superstar when he get's it together....and a set of f/ing glasses for his peripheral vision f/ups.... ;)

Reply #53
Taking Voss's words like they are the law.

This is the same bloke who traded Lachie Henderson and Pick 12 for Brendan Fevola at the end of his career.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #54
Taking Voss's words like they are the law.

This is the same bloke who traded Lachie Henderson and Pick 12 for Brendan Fevola at the end of his career.

I suspect Vossy did the Fev deal based on watching his highlight reel.  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
Watch the game again bell creates space and they are aware he is there like not one other than kruze at the least we need him to stop Kennedy etc from monstering Murphy and judd

Reply #56
Maybe but what coaches look for have always been different to what many of us and media look at.

He's definitely not gifted with skill but if Mick can do a bit of development with him I reckon he will be valuable in years to come.  If we are still guessing in 12 mths then I'd definitely re evaluate.

I think someone once said the same of Kouta in his very early days?

And Diesel was too slow!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
Dinger has played 15 games of senior footy. He, along with Menzel, Curnow, 2E... will benefit greatly from this finals experience (thank you, Bumbers).

Dinger is a diamond in the rough, very rough at times. But his attitude and attack on the man and aggot is first class.

What impressed me more than anything on Sunday is that he was NOT overawed on the big stage in September... he can deliver under big game pressure. With strong education, this bloke will deliver. Plus he can play up forward, take a grab and kick a goal.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #58
Dinger has played 15 games of senior footy. He, along with Menzel, Curnow, 2E... will benefit greatly from this finals experience (thank you, Bumbers).

Dinger is a diamond in the rough, very rough at times. But his attitude and attack on the man and aggot is first class.

What impressed me more than anything on Sunday is that he was NOT overawed on the big stage in September... he can deliver under big game pressure. With strong education, this bloke will deliver. Plus he can play up forward, take a grab and kick a goal.

Good call Baggers...you compare Bells attack on the footy and willingness to contest and compare that to say someone like Yarran who was a passenger IMO.
You need players like Bell driving the train and shovelling the coal while players like Yarran are in the sleeper carriage deciding when they will wake up....

Reply #59

Good call Baggers...you compare Bells attack on the footy and willingness to contest and compare that to say someone like Yarran who was a passenger IMO.
You need players like Bell driving the train and shovelling the coal while players like Yarran are in the sleeper carriage deciding when they will wake up....

Plus 1....getting a couple of these finals into blokes like Bell is worth more than any number of pre-season "practice" matches.  Win or lose this week, they'll have been on a massive learning curve which could otherwise take a season or two.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.