Skip to main content
Topic: "Bell Ready For Ringadingdinger" (One For Elwood) (Read 32905 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Bell Ready For Ringadingdinger" (One For Elwood)

Reply #75
Kouta played 50 games in the reserves before breaking into the seniors.

Wow I never knew it was that many.

From Wikipedia

Koutoufides was recruited from Lalor by Carlton in 1990, and played fifty games in the reserves, where he won the 1991 best and fairest. Beginning his AFL career in 1992, he quickly established himself as one of the most versatile and athletic players ever to play the game
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #76
Good homework there JK. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #77
I understand he is young and learning but as a retired soccer center midfielder, if you don't have peripheral vision you are a liability. When he got caught in the center square which resulted in a goal just before half time clearly shows he could not see his opposition coming from the corner of his eye. Cannot teach that type of awareness. Too bad because if he did he could be anything

Reply #78
I disagree mate, watch the replay. He looks directly at the Richmond player and sees him coming but totally disregards him as a threat and even once tackled pays him little respect and tries to brush him off. He just thinks he can walk through tackles must have enormous strength. Hate to quote Danny Frawley but he'll learn from that. Another player that had not too much awareness but used to find the pill for fun was Andrew Carrazzo. He developed into a fantastic footballer.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #79
I understand he is young and learning but as a retired soccer center midfielder, if you don't have peripheral vision you are a liability. When he got caught in the center square which resulted in a goal just before half time clearly shows he could not see his opposition coming from the corner of his eye. Cannot teach that type of awareness. Too bad because if he did he could be anything

He just needs to know that when he gets the ball he has to assess his options very quickly and execute straight away. On the occasions when I've seen him get caught he gave the impression that he just did not understand that. I don't know what his peripheral vision is like but if he can speed up his decision making and execution then he would be a much better player - I would have thought he could be coached to do that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #80
....AFL senior players are taaght to tackle and are as strong as he is and he needs to be told to get rid of the ball earlier and dont keep taking the tackler on...

If not that then get the ball up high so it's not pinned when he's tackled. With his strength, he can still get the ball to advantage if grabbed, but he runs with his arms in close making it easy to pin the ball.

Reply #81
I disagree mate, watch the replay. He looks directly at the Richmond player and sees him coming but totally disregards him as a threat and even once tackled pays him little respect and tries to brush him off.

Yep, no question in my mind he saw the guy...... a bad decision (over keen/a bit arrogant perhaps).

Like that bomb of his from outside 50 that went OOBF - top of the square son, top of the square!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82
@PI2C

Interesting as I see the same issue with Yarran at times - he thinks he can outrun everyone else in the AFL and sometimes gets run down and caught. He often manages to dispose of the ball before being pinged though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
I disagree mate, watch the replay. He looks directly at the Richmond player and sees him coming but totally disregards him as a threat and even once tackled pays him little respect and tries to brush him off. He just thinks he can walk through tackles must have enormous strength. Hate to quote Danny Frawley but he'll learn from that. Another player that had not too much awareness but used to find the pill for fun was Andrew Carrazzo. He developed into a fantastic footballer.

He had absolutely no idea a Richmond player was coming......whatever the argument if he is to learn from this he should have already improved slightly by now, which tells me this will be his deficiency for life. Carrazzo was a bloody decent defender learning the game before he stepped into the midfield and from my memory his disposal was shocking not his awareness around him

Reply #84
The point is the kid needs to make decisions faster - he ain't an out and out speedster like others.

That only comes with experience.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #85
As with Robbo, I'm sure that MM will work on getting him to focus on what he does really well and working his limitations.  The problem with that passage of play is that he had a team mate open for a handball before he was gobbled up and passed up that opportunity.  No doubt MM will tell him to give it off if any of the faster line breakers are available. 

It would be hard to not to get carried away when you're in a final and you think you have the opportunity to run in and kick a decisive goal. Boys Own stuff, really.

Quarterbacks are trained to have an internal clock which goes into alarm mode after 5s.  Doesn't matter how good your protection is and how nimble you are, after that time it's almost certain you'll be buried into the dirt.

Reply #86
he has played a dozen games of footy lets not praise or beat him up to much... One thing for certain we will find out alot about levi, Bell Andy Mac and Menzel today. We wont win the flag this year but we need to build compentency to support our elite players. Finals are the best furnace

Reply #87
he has played a dozen games of footy lets not praise or beat him up to much... One thing for certain we will find out alot about levi, Bell Andy Mac and Menzel today. We wont win the flag this year but we need to build compentency to support our elite players. Finals are the best furnace

Be careful with your words there.

They were CERTAIN that McLean would be coming into the side and almost certain that either Andy Mac or Menzel would be making way.

Reply #88
Hopefully it's Andy Mac.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #89
I should say THEY were the boys on foxtel last night doing the pregame.