Skip to main content
Topic: Should we chase Josh Schache? (Read 20587 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Should we chase Josh Schache?

Reply #61
If you sign Schache up on that, what are you paying Cripps, SoJ, Plowman, Williamson, Weitering, SPS, Marchbank, etc., etc.?

I agree that is a serious conundrum that cannot be overlooked and it depends on the length we are signing them for.
But Weitering has to be on better terms than Schache.
400k in the next set will be close to average, 500k will be over that average.

Over the next 5 years I would think it would be very safe to expect a 20-30% rise in the cap. That means the average wage is likely to be around 450-500k by the end of the period.

I think taking that into account it is reasonable to be looking at the 400k-500k for Schache over 5 years (If we feel there is enough there).
But yes we have to be preparing for the likes of young SOS, Weitering, Cripps etc and this is another reason why I think the club should have been moving on as many elder players as they could last season, putting big money into very long contracts of a few select players.

It is going to be an interesting juggling act if the players come on as we all hope
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #62
I'll back the boys we've got in ahead of the $ chasers, lets just secure them first as they are a gooduns!

For me now, it's all about culture and balance, the rest comes naturally.

When we made public our position on Gibbs, we were making a statement not just a stand. If we go and sign up wannababies on big dollars we are saying we don't believe our own hype.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
Early signs say the draft is extremely shallow. So if we can get a good mid early, the 2018 crop is chock full of talls. Maybe to late then, so chucking a high pick at Schache may not be the worst.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #64
Early signs say the draft is extremely shallow. So if we can get a good mid early, the 2018 crop is chock full of talls. Maybe to late then, so chucking a high pick at Schache may not be the worst.

Then it would make sense to keep the early picks and chuck worthless late picks and maybe a steak knives player at the Lions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Schache, Casboult, Kerr, Curnow, McKay, Silvagni x 2, Weitering.

Seems like we've got a bit of tall forward cover - adding Schache means we can't add a mid so my vote would be no. Doesn't seem to make any sense to chase another young tall forward.

Reply #66

Seems like we've got a bit of tall forward cover - adding Schache means we can't add a mid so my vote would be no. Doesn't seem to make any sense to chase another young tall forward.

I think the club has been intimating the same thing Jeza - I'm pretty sure that the focus will be on the midfield next.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
get jones his fast ,strong ,healthy good kick is exactly wat our defence needs and his 22 yrs old.

Reply #68
I think the club has been intimating the same thing Jeza - I'm pretty sure that the focus will be on the midfield next.
Fair enough but we still cannot kick enough goals.
We have built the defence.
Next the midfield. ( we are all getting old )
Now the forward line as we find the backline is too old..... Start again.
I know it is a process but sheesh, we are all clocking up years as we watch our club sit at the bottom of the ladder. It's like it is the inverse of the ladder we grew up!  :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #69
Fair enough but we still cannot kick enough goals.
We have built the defence.
Next the midfield. ( we are all getting old )
Now the forward line as we find the backline is too old..... Start again.
I know it is a process but sheesh, we are all clocking up years as we watch our club sit at the bottom of the ladder. It's like it is the inverse of the ladder we grew up!  :o

I think the feeling is that we've got forwards coming through who will start to impact soon and a better midfield would also see more F50 pressure. We can only hope they know what they are doing at this stage. Drafting and trading this year will be very interesting.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #70

You can never have too much key position talent. None of the guys you have mentioned are "currently" elite players.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #71
I think the feeling is that we've got forwards coming through who will start to impact soon and a better midfield would also see more F50 pressure. We can only hope they know what they are doing at this stage. Drafting and trading this year will be very interesting.
I hope so Cookie mate.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #72

Of all of those players, how many have legitimate claims to being a long term Key forward with what we've seen so far.

In all honesty, none of them.

Loads of potential, but nothing certain yet.

Simple list management tells you that genuine key forwards cost you plenty. Look at the figures thrown about for Schache who has delivered next to nothing so far. Imagine how much a good one costs.

Compare that to blokes like Jager O'Meara, Tom Mitchell etc. Genuine, proven ball magnets that are on the same wage....if that.

So, given the above...
Continue to draft Key forwards until you are certain you have a couple (at least) that will be long term AFL players.
THEN cover your other gaps.

It is cheaper to grow your own KPPs and buy in mids than vice versa.

If we do continue to draft KPPs and some of the above players do fulfil (and exceed?) their potential, then we have an abundance of key forwards. Oh no. We will be forced to sell them off to the highest bidder. ;)
Show me the money (or draft picks!)  >:D

I can't help but refer, again, to the draft which we went top heavy. Drafted 3 KPPs with our first 3 picks in the draft. Thought our spine was settled for a decade.
McCarthy, Mitchell and Watson deliver a collective SFA! .....and we didn't bother drafting any other KPPs in the meantime and are STILL trying to recover.

Draft big.
Trade small.

Reply #73

Goes about 30 deep we need three picks in top 30.

At this moment we are in line to select Luke Davies-Uniacke who is a Michael Barlow type

...Adam Cerra as a late first round pick if we manage to get one he plays like Heppell

Both are ready to go mids.

Reply #74
I think predictions of this year's draft demise are very premature! ;D

The Force Awakens!