Skip to main content
Topic: ELIMINATION FINAL : Ninth Beats Ninthmond (Ha Ha Ha Ending) (Read 77399 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: ELIMINATION FINAL : Ninth Beats Ninthmond (Ha Ha Ha Ending)

Reply #270
@Deags
Yes I think the AFL are caught somewhere in between the past traditions of the game and the way the modern game is played, i.e. a lot quicker and more free-flowing with more  quick-fire hand passing etc.

I agree that tackling rules do need a complete rethink. The emphasis should be on keeping the game flowing and away from "winning" free kicks which results in too many tiggy-touchwood stoppages and frustration for the fans.

Your suggestions are good IMO and in addition I would be happy also if say the arms of bloke being tackled are pinned, then let him just drop the ball free. It would usually then result in a contested ball situation which would be fair enough.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #271
FWIW my bug bear is in the back.  If the bloke doesnt drop it(the ball), he falls forward onto his stomach to try and draw an in the back free kick and you see the umpires get sucked into it time and again.  They usually change direction to fall yet pay it anyway.  How does that work umpire?  He dragged the bloke on top of him, thats how.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #272
FWIW my bug bear is in the back.  If the bloke doesnt drop it(the ball), he falls forward onto his stomach to try and draw an in the back free kick and you see the umpires get sucked into it time and again.  They usually change direction to fall yet pay it anyway.  How does that work umpire?  He dragged the bloke on top of him, thats how.

Murphy, Betts and Curnow do quite nicely from this rule so I wouldn't be too keen to get rid of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #273

This one pi55es me off as well. Players are tackled, caught and throw themselves forward to get a free. This is the reason rule changes are so prominent in today's game, players and coaches try to exploit certain rules and the Rules Committee come up with new rules to counter it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #274

Murphy, Betts and Curnow do quite nicely from this rule so I wouldn't be too keen to get rid of it!

Which Carlton team have you been watching do quite nicely out of any rules?

For me, there seems to be a distinct anti Carlton bias where the rules are applied a lot more harshly against (soft) and the ones we get have to be earned (very strictly speaking).

Chris Judd is the only player that I can remember in recent history getting what some might call favourable treatment from umpires.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #275
Which Carlton team have you been watching do quite nicely out of any rules?

For me, there seems to be a distinct anti Carlton bias where the rules are applied a lot more harshly against (soft) and the ones we get have to be earned (very strictly speaking).

Chris Judd is the only player that I can remember in recent history getting what some might call favourable treatment from umpires.

I'm glad you are passionate and I feel the same after a game, but usually come around to some perspective after watching the 2nd or 3rd replay!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #276
Not sure about Betts and Curnow but Murph definitely throws himself forward at every opportunity.

Reply #277
I think it's clear from the game to me now that 2 amigos in the forward line is how we should go. The no. 1 should be Eddie and we should do everything we reasonable can to keep him. Garlett is the other one. How is also getting better in the mid field rotation and in his pressure work.

Yarran I'm sure now needs to operate primarily from HB and provide run from there via the wings and corridor. I don't think he's anywhere nearly as effective when he goes forward - just looks edgy and uncomfortable to me, and we don't need 3 small forwards. I'd prefer to go with Menzel up there.

Reply #278
I think it's clear from the game to me now that 2 amigos in the forward line is how we should go. The no. 1 should be Eddie and we should do everything we reasonable can to keep him. Garlett is the other one. How is also getting better in the mid field rotation and in his pressure work.

Yarran I'm sure now needs to operate primarily from HB and provide run from there via the wings and corridor. I don't think he's anywhere nearly as effective when he goes forward - just looks edgy and uncomfortable to me, and we don't need 3 small forwards. I'd prefer to go with Menzel up there.

Personally, I think Garlett and Yarran play better on the wing or half back line. If you put Garlett deep in the F50 he loses space which then takes away his biggest asset, same applies to Yarran.

Betts on the other hand can work in pocket as good if not better than anybody in the league, as long as he doesn't end up flying for too many marks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #279
@LP

I go with Garlett on the wing LP - a lot of merit in what you say. Eddie is our best "true" small forward by miles IMO.

Reply #280

Personally, I think Garlett and Yarran play better on the wing or half back line. If you put Garlett deep in the F50 he loses space which then takes away his biggest asset, same applies to Yarran.

Betts on the other hand can work in pocket as good if not better than anybody in the league, as long as he doesn't end up flying for too many marks.

LP... a very good appraisal of the amigos....Yarran and Garlett both need space unlike Eddie who can work in a shoebox..

Reply #281
Have heard people comment about Andy Maher's commentary on Sunday, but haven't heard it myself.
Any chance someone can upload a snippet of it. A bloke at worked compared it to THAT scene from When Harry Met Sally lol.

Reply #282
@D7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVho3I0NtU

D7 if you can't find Andy Maher's commentary, have a listen to Victor Hugo Morales' commentary on a Maradona goal for Argentina from many years ago. Amazing!

Reply #283
 :-[ deleted.  Wrong thread.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........