Skip to main content
Topic: ELIMINATION FINAL : Ninth Beats Ninthmond (Ha Ha Ha Ending) (Read 77554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: ELIMINATION FINAL : Ninth Beats Ninthmond (Ha Ha Ha Ending)

Reply #180
www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-08/carlton-player-ratings

Worth a read.  Interesting to see how differing the opinions are in this one.

Its funny, for giggles, read the richmond version, meanwhile how many opponents did Walker have according to these reviews?

http://theaflsnews.net/tiger-rated-sundays-elimination-final/
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #181
What an amzing day - flew down from Sydney and was quietly confident that Richmond might struggle with the pressure and expectation.The atmosphere was amazing, and in the end we were much more composed when it counted.

It's amazing how within 2.5hours a whole season can be totally transformed - like many here I have been really disappointed and frustrated at times during the year about so many aspects. But that's the beauty of being a hard core supporter - the lows only make the highs even better.

We were only a Pt Adelaide poster away from finishing 13th!! ANd here we are revelling in the afterglow of a courageous and memorable win for the ages, sitting only behind the 99 Prelim as our best win for nearly 20 years.

The things that stood out to me were;

- Judd is a true legend. In the big games, when we you need him the most, he delivers. We will tell our grandkids we saw him play
- I pray Bryce works out that he can be an elite player if he plays with the intent and desire he showed yesterday. Best game he played by a mile! Just bring that again next week.
- when Waite and Betts are 'on' we are a handful for any side. They are both such confidence players with both their marking and goal kicking, and I just hope they can put in a repeat performance
- you can just sense that the MM mantra is starting to sink in. Blokes were selfless yesterday, and were prepared to put their body on the line when it mattered [eg Duigan and Hendo]. To then get the win will give them huge confidence and belief that they are on the right path
- the game plan stands up under pressure. The Tigers play a high uncontested possession game, and when the game tightened up and they got tired they were lost.

This week is another huge challenge, but the Swans are down on form and have a lot of injury concerns. Our pace at ANZ might really worry them. Team balance is crucial, as they have the 4 bigs [Pyke, White, Mumford & Tippett] and Rohan. I hope they roll the dice on Goodes as this would likely work in our favour.

A 'home' final this week for me!! Can't wait.......

Reply #182
Yup, Bryce gets a lot of kicks but he was mighty in a huge game with a grand final crowd, mostly hostile. Only overshadowed because of an enormous effort by a guy on one leg with no right to be out there.

So well done Gibbs. When the pressure was on, you stood up.

Reply #183
Can't see how that guy rated Murphy a 9 ahead of Jibbs. I really liked Murph's game early, one of the few that got his hands on the ball but I just thought Bryce worked his but off winning the hard ball.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #184

The teams that one on the weekend had the dominant rucks.

We pantsed Richmond in the ruck.

Are you sure LR?

Warnock had four more hitouts than Maric.  Warnock kicked one goal to Maric's two. Maric had 16 disposals, took two marks, had six clearances and laid three tackles.  Warnock had six disposals, no marks, no clearances and one tackle.

Kreuzer had 13 more hitouts than Vickery.  However, Vickery kicked two goals, took six marks, had 14 disposals and two clearances.  Kreuzer had four disposals and one clearance.  Kreuzer did stick four tackles, as did Vickery.

Our rucks may have won more hitouts (and far more than usual were directed to our players) but they were ineffectual around the ground.

Bit harsh DJC reckon 206 did alright and was very important in the clearances, which basically saw us kick the comeback goals in the third.  One of Maric's goal was from Robbo's brain fade not because he did anything special.

Kreuzer looked injured but still managed to do his job (admittedly limited).  Vickery was not influential with his 14 disposals and apart from the two goals hardly call him damaging on the day, actually never seen him damage an opposition - bit like Grigg.

Understand what you're saying about the around the ground stuff, but finals footy sees alot of stoppages and I thought we had the advantage there.  Agree with you though that our rucks didn't pants theirs but happy to call it even and maybe the spoils go to the victors  ;)
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #185
One of Maric's goal was from Robbo's brain fade not because he did anything special.

The other was very late in the game when he (Maric) out sprinted an exhausted Hendo.....

I thought 206 was very good. Good second efforts too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #186
Cut and paste this from Phil over at Punt Road End. Pure Gold!!!! ---

Tossed and turned all night.  The game playing in my head.  What if, what if. How could we let it happen again?  When is this *smile*ing nightmare going to end?

Ridiculous really given there is nothing I can do about it now, nothing I could do about it then.  I didn't play yesterday. I didn't fumble in the backline, miss any easy goals, let Bryce Gibbs run around unchecked. Why should I feel embarrassed or ashamed to face my Carlton supporting "mates"?  What could I have done?  They have got my money, thousands of dollars of it over the years, what more can I do?

I am actually glad the season is over now.  No more worrying every week about the upcoming game, about whether X beating Y will be good or bad for us.  No more expending emotional energy on something that provides a limited return on my emotional investment. Its actually a relief in some ways.  Control the controllables rather than worrying about something I have no control over, rather than placing my happiness in the hands of a bunch of footballers who couldn't give a rats about the way I feel every week.

Im looking forward to a football free six months...expend time and energy on things that give me enjoyment rather than the frustration that following this football club gives.

I think Phil might be done.

Reply #187
Who had Martin in the 2nd half - superb job?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #188
Cut and paste this from Phil over at Punt Road End. Pure Gold!!!! ---

Tossed and turned all night.  The game playing in my head.  What if, what if. How could we let it happen again?  When is this *smile*ing nightmare going to end?

Ridiculous really given there is nothing I can do about it now, nothing I could do about it then.  I didn't play yesterday. I didn't fumble in the backline, miss any easy goals, let Bryce Gibbs run around unchecked. Why should I feel embarrassed or ashamed to face my Carlton supporting "mates"?  What could I have done?  They have got my money, thousands of dollars of it over the years, what more can I do?

I am actually glad the season is over now.  No more worrying every week about the upcoming game, about whether X beating Y will be good or bad for us.  No more expending emotional energy on something that provides a limited return on my emotional investment. Its actually a relief in some ways.  Control the controllables rather than worrying about something I have no control over, rather than placing my happiness in the hands of a bunch of footballers who couldn't give a rats about the way I feel every week.

Im looking forward to a football free six months...expend time and energy on things that give me enjoyment rather than the frustration that following this football club gives.

I think Phil might be done.

If I was one of them I might be giving the bloke a call to make sure he is okay.  His next stop sounds like it might be an institution, and to be fair to him, Richmond would have done it to them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #189
That's their own version of Professer E. If you're reading Prof, come the hell back mate. You jumped ship just a smidge too early!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #190
Saw him running with Gibbs at the start of the 3rd, but not sure if he stayed all 2nd half.

Reply #191
One of the more interesting moments in the game was the half time walk off.  Robertson REALLY gave Bell a serve, something he richly deserved.  Bell didn't like it and rather than accepting the criticism, stupidly responded.

I suspect more was said in the rooms, but Tom needs to shut up, work on his weaknesses and play with far more awareness of what's around him rather than assuming he has the time on his side when looking for downfield options.

Good way to improve a young player is to berate them at half time coming off the field...not.

Robbo needs to get his own house in order and learn the rules...

Reply #192

The teams that one on the weekend had the dominant rucks.

We pantsed Richmond in the ruck.

Are you sure LR?

Warnock had four more hitouts than Maric.  Warnock kicked one goal to Maric's two. Maric had 16 disposals, took two marks, had six clearances and laid three tackles.  Warnock had six disposals, no marks, no clearances and one tackle.

Kreuzer had 13 more hitouts than Vickery.  However, Vickery kicked two goals, took six marks, had 14 disposals and two clearances.  Kreuzer had four disposals and one clearance.  Kreuzer did stick four tackles, as did Vickery.

Our rucks may have won more hitouts (and far more than usual were directed to our players) but they were ineffectual around the ground.

Bit harsh DJC reckon 206 did alright and was very important in the clearances, which basically saw us kick the comeback goals in the third.  One of Maric's goal was from Robbo's brain fade not because he did anything special.

Kreuzer looked injured but still managed to do his job (admittedly limited).  Vickery was not influential with his 14 disposals and apart from the two goals hardly call him damaging on the day, actually never seen him damage an opposition - bit like Grigg.

Understand what you're saying about the around the ground stuff, but finals footy sees alot of stoppages and I thought we had the advantage there.  Agree with you though that our rucks didn't pants theirs but happy to call it even and maybe the spoils go to the victors  ;)
Just remembered that one of Vickery's tap out was against Tuck  :)) :)), cleared by Gibbs  :))

That was very funny moment looking back at it now.

Reply #193
Saw him running with Gibbs at the start of the 3rd, but not sure if he stayed all 2nd half.
I sat on effin level one last row, like watching the game through a letter box slit FFS. Couldnt follow anything strategy wise. Just drank alot, cheered alot and savoured every moment.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #194

That's a fair assessment Goat.  Our blokes' hitouts created plenty of opportunities for our midfielders and I guess that was a key factor in the outcome.  However, they both need to do more around the ground; a few contested marks, or even uncontested marks, would be nice.  Of course, Mumford and Pyke don't normally rack up possessions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball