Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Post Game Conversations: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 29655 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Post Game Conversations: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #165
I was sort of hoping for some more Pudding Face, I know I write that I'm sick of it but it also gives me a good laugh! ;D

Schadenfreude! :(

I think its hilarious. The disbelief on the guys face is so incongruous with the play everyone else is watching. Cracks me up every time. I'm happy to get any giggles I can at this end of the season. Especially as the mighty Blues are reduced to a skeleton crew :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #166
but he had both of Kreuzers wrists/forearms pinned by his side, what was Kreuzer holding the ball with his teeth?

This was this first thought that entered my mind. Danger had both arms well pinned, so if he believed Kreuzer still had the ball, which he really barely had had in any event, how was the big Special holding it....

It's a BS story, for sure imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #167

No. Here's what i find really interesting. We've now had several opposition players rubbed out by the mrp. Yet the umpire on the day fails to award a 50m penalty, or free kick. In fact, it somehow results in an opposition goal (occasionally). Go figure. I'll admit, I'm as bias as the next person, but seriously there's been more of these to be a fluke :o

Lewis - Cripps, anyone?

Reply #168
I don't see why there is an obsession with bringing the ball carrier crashing to the ground. If they're completely wrapped up and standing, the ball won't be coming out regardless, and the tackle is equally effective. Unless there are ulterior motives to the said crashing to the ground.

This.

It's been an evolution linked to macho bullcrap from Sheedy and the 80's.  Jezza was one of the best tacklers I have seen and when he wrapped a player up and pinned his arms he just set those big thighs like pylons which meant tackled player and ball was going nowhere.

Lots of commentators (esp. SEN) lamenting the fact that players have been taught to pin the arms while tackling - Robert Walls said it was a focus when they employed an ex-rugby tackling coach at the Brisbane Bears.  Well guess what, I have a 'How to Play Aussie Rules' manual from the  1950's which demonstrates the right way and wrong way (with photos) to execute the skills. Right way to tackle is to bear hug the opposition and pin his arms. Player can't handball or kick, end of story.

Nowadays it's all about psychological ascendance and intimidation - i.e. slinging, driving into the ground, giving them an extra shove when you've already won the free, humiliating a la Cale Hooker on Daniel Neilsen, etc., etc.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #169
This.

It's been an evolution linked to macho bullcrap from Sheedy and the 80's.

Sheedy is incredibly vindictive, he doesn't just want to defeat opponents, he wants to hurt them removing them from the game or even end their career.

One time Sheedy severely chastised David Hille after seeing Hille assist an opponent up off the ground.  Hille thought that the player was seriously hurt after a collision, but coming to his aid did not wash as an excuse with Sheedy. The inference Hille took was that if an opponent was dying on the ground then Sheedy thought the team should use the number advantage to score a goal first, then call for help second!

I recall Hille's father, a life long CheatsFC supporter, hint to me that he lost all respect for Sheedy after that day!

But that is the way Sheedy played as well, those of us old enough know about the ankle taps, king hits and corkies that Sheedy would hand out with monotonous regularity!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #170
This.

It's been an evolution linked to macho bullcrap from Sheedy and the 80's.  Jezza was one of the best tacklers I have seen and when he wrapped a player up and pinned his arms he just set those big thighs like pylons which meant tackled player and ball was going nowhere.

Lots of commentators (esp. SEN) lamenting the fact that players have been taught to pin the arms while tackling - Robert Walls said it was a focus when they employed an ex-rugby tackling coach at the Brisbane Bears.  Well guess what, I have a 'How to Play Aussie Rules' manual from the  1950's which demonstrates the right way and wrong way (with photos) to execute the skills. Right way to tackle is to bear hug the opposition and pin his arms. Player can't handball or kick, end of story.

Nowadays it's all about psychological ascendance and intimidation - i.e. slinging, driving into the ground, giving them an extra shove when you've already won the free, humiliating a la Cale Hooker on Daniel Neilsen, etc., etc.

Nice post Ivan. Notwithstanding all of that, I would have thought there is an advantage to the tackling team in being awarded a htb or illegal disposal free in the player is standing. It makes it clearer and easier to see what the ball carrier is intending, rather than bodies flying everywhere, players being slung every which way etc., which I think tends to put doubt in the umpires minds.

There are definitely those on here who feel that you can never have too much hurt and intimidation on a footy field. For those of us, er.., pussy cats, the jury is definitely out.

I much prefer the way the great Geelong teams from a few years ago went about it rather than the Lions 3peat teams, for example.

Reply #171
Sheedy is incredibly vindictive, he doesn't just want to defeat opponents, he wants to hurt them removing them from the game or even end their career.

One time Sheedy severely chastised David Hille after seeing Hille assist an opponent up off the ground.  Hille thought that the player was seriously hurt after a collision, but coming to his aid did not wash as an excuse with Sheedy. The inference Hille took was that if an opponent was dying on the ground then Sheedy thought the team should use the number advantage to score a goal first, then call for help second!

I recall Hille's father, a life long CheatsFC supporter, hint to me that he lost all respect for Sheedy after that day!

But that is the way Sheedy played as well, those of us old enough know about the ankle taps, king hits and corkies that Sheedy would hand out with monotonous regularity!

I think Sheedy was a typical player from his era in this respect. Balme, Nicholls, Rob Walls, plenty of them could dish out thuggish acts. Clearly anything to do with Essendon puts you into hyperbolic overdrive - my guess is that plenty of other coaches would have had issues with the David Hille incident - Leigh Matthews, the Kray twins, Clarko just off the top of my head.

Reply #172
I think Sheedy was a typical player from his era in this respect. Balme, Nicholls, Rob Walls, plenty of them could dish out thuggish acts. Clearly anything to do with Essendon puts you into hyperbolic overdrive - my guess is that plenty of other coaches would have had issues with the David Hille incident - Leigh Matthews, the Kray twins, Clarko just off the top of my head.

Then is no hyperbole in the Hille story about Sheedy berating him, it's been written about before in the media, nobody denies it and I know his father personally.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
Ratts certainly wanted to target a tall forward at the end of 2011 - whether Swann interfered with that, I know not.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-18/blues-gutted-by-finals-exit/2904886

Geez, we all wanted to target a tall forward... and we still do !!
We wanted a tall forward and we drafted one, Rowe.
The fact that he's functioned better in defense is irrelevant.
What other tall forwards were available around our picks ?

This BS of sheeting every (bad ????) trading/drafting decision home to one man or two, having some secret agenda to destroy the club or some such crap, has to stop kids.

If a list manager drafts the players he wants to the exclusion of the coaches preferred type of player, the team will go nowhere.
Let’s go BIG !