Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Richmond (Read 8565 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Richmond

With our list in reasonable condition, I hope to enjoy tomorrow's game. It is set down for Richmond, starting around 1600.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Richmond

Reply #1
I enjoyed a catch up with Baggers, RiverRat and DJC at this game last year, Richmond thumped us, although Mackay even back then showed some good signs, along with a couple of unlisted boys, at least that's my memory of it!

I can't make it this year, I hope you enjoy the game Crash, It would be great to get a report on the boys afterwards!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #2
Looking at the injury report I'm surprised how many are out this week, so our 2s will be a little light on.

I'm also surprised that Sam Rowe is only as week away, great news!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Looks like a few rapid recoveries, 16 blues named will they all play?

More depth than I had first expected, great news.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
I enjoyed a catch up with Baggers, RiverRat and DJC at this game last year, Richmond thumped us, although Mackay even back then showed some good signs, along with a couple of unlisted boys, at least that's my memory of it!

I can't make it this year, I hope you enjoy the game Crash, It would be great to get a report on the boys afterwards!

That was a good afternoon, even if the result wasn’t what I would have liked.

It was good to catch up with Baggers, RiverRat and Amers and, from my vantage point, good to see how closely Bolts and SOS were considering what they were seeing.

I was pleased to see that ACOS was well above VFL level and Paddy Kerr was able to read the play and make good position.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
A mate sent me a SMS and tells me De Koning is clunking a few in the maggoos, might be going to give McKay a run for a F50 spot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
A mate sent me a SMS and tells me De Koning is clunking a few in the maggoos, might be going to give McKay a run for a F50 spot!

got a score LP?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
got a score LP?

Nthmond by about 4 goals last I heard before 1/2-time.

Follow it here, https://twitter.com/NBluesFC

1/4 Time 6-3-39 to 2-0-12
1/2 Time 10-7-67 to 7-3-45

Seems a better quarter by Northern.

My mates left the ground to get into "The G" reckons the queues are huge!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
114-66 as I type. From twitter it's hard to know what quarter it is, time elapsed etc.

But that's a sad score, and hopefully not a portent of things to come.

Reply #9
Full time 127-73. 9 goal shellacking.

Reply #10
Not yet. De Koning rucked reasonably well and moved OK. But he lacks a lot of strength. He did take a few nice marks, but he is physically not ready for the seniors. He does have a nice kick. His did 2 grab too many marks for me, but I was very happy to see him compete. He will be a reasonable player at VFL level this year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
Not yet. De Koning rucked reasonably well and moved OK. But he lacks a lot of strength. He did take a few nice marks, but he is physically not ready for the seniors. He does have a nice kick. His did 2 grab too many marks for me, but I was very happy to see him compete. He will be a reasonable player at VFL level this year.

Anyone stand out as a possible inclusion for next week?

Reply #12
Anyone stand out as a possible inclusion for next week?
When you lose by 9 goals and have half of your talent on the field, it is hard to shine. It was also hard for me as I couldn't recognize everybody.
However:
[1] Nick Graham was Nick Graham. He spent maybe 50% of the time on the ground and still managed 25 possessions. And he didn't stuff up a possession.
[2] David Cuningham was David Cuningham: he also had 25 possessions and was probably our best midfielder. His kicking was not that reliable, but when it came off, it was excellent.
[3] Tom de Koning played up forward, where he was starved of opportunities, and in the ruck, where he looked promising. A the game worse on he started taking some pretty decent marks. His ruck work was reasonable. There was more than a little of Harry McKay in his game. But body wise he was pushed off the ball to easily. What 12 months.
[4] Paddy Kerr marked and kicked the ball well. he has bulked up somewhat and is moving more freely. His leads were excellent.
[5] Cam Polson didn't have a great game
[6] Alex Silvagni was solid: right until he went off with a hamstring injury.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
When you lose by 9 goals and have half of your talent on the field, it is hard to shine. It was also hard for me as I couldn't recognize everybody.
However:
[1] Nick Graham was Nick Graham. He spent maybe 50% of the time on the ground and still managed 25 possessions. And he didn't stuff up a possession.
[2] David Cuningham was David Cuningham: he also had 25 possessions and was probably our best midfielder. His kicking was not that reliable, but when it came off, it was excellent.
[3] Tom de Koning played up forward, where he was starved of opportunities, and in the ruck, where he looked promising. A the game worse on he started taking some pretty decent marks. His ruck work was reasonable. There was more than a little of Harry McKay in his game. But body wise he was pushed off the ball to easily. What 12 months.
[4] Paddy Kerr marked and kicked the ball well. he has bulked up somewhat and is moving more freely. His leads were excellent.
[5] Cam Polson didn't have a great game
[6] Alex Silvagni was solid: right until he went off with a hamstring injury.

Paddy Kerr goes ok. He might end up in the team before McKay. Watched him last year. Reads it well, leads well, kicks well, good in a contested situation and seems smart. He could be in sooner rather than later and will make a good fist of AFL. At least IMO.

Reply #14
RICHMOND VFL             6.3          10.7          16.10               19. 13. (127)
NORTHERN BLUES       2.0          7.3            9.4                    11. 7. (73)

GOALS
Northern Blues: Kerr 2, Cuningham, De Koning, Federico, Graham, Keppel, Kerr, Kerridge, Lebois, Myers

DISPOSALS
Northern Blues: Graham 26, Cuningham 23, Kerridge 23, O’Brien 17