Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Richmond (Read 8564 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Richmond

Reply #15
Paddy Kerr goes ok. He might end up in the team before McKay. Watched him last year. Reads it well, leads well, kicks well, good in a contested situation and seems smart. He could be in sooner rather than later and will make a good fist of AFL. At least IMO.

From what I’ve seen of Paddy, he’s a natural footballer who gets into the right positions and makes good decisions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
But what is his defensive pressure like? Second and third efforts? That is what determines whether he'll succeed at afl level

Reply #17
Kerr has a complete game and is more flexible in where he.can play, than Harry but doesn't get enough footy at this stage. He needs to dominate at vfl level and win some games for us....

Reply #18
But what is his defensive pressure like? Second and third efforts? That is what determines whether he'll succeed at afl level

Good point JB.

I don’t know whether Paddy will make it as an AFL footballer but he seems to have good football instincts.  Whether that translates to defensive pressure and second and third efforts will become clear over the next few months.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Patrick Kerr definitely has some run in his game, he surprised me at times with how quick he appeared to be across the ground for a guy that size. Seems to get to dangerous spots and is a good kick at goal. I think he also has that natural desire to want to get the ball.

Reply #20
You saw in Thu night why Levi plays ahead of Harry and Kerr, it’s because we only play 1 ruck and neither of them can go there if Kruze goes down (as happened against Rich).  Levi can go in and pinch hit and relieve Kruze. The others can’t...yet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
You saw in Thu night why Levi plays ahead of Harry and Kerr, it’s because we only play 1 ruck and neither of them can go there if Kruze goes down (as happened against Rich).  Levi can go in and pinch hit and relieve Kruze. The others can’t...yet.

And I guess if Kreuz gets injured Lobbe comes in?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
And I guess if Kreuz gets injured Lobbe comes in?

I would think Lobbe is next in line, Phillips hasn't resumed yet as far as I know. You couldn't throw McKay into starting ruck, it would have to be Casboult. They will go with Lobbe, Caboult relieves and spends time forward.

Reply #23
I would think Lobbe is next in line, Phillips hasn't resumed yet as far as I know. You couldn't throw McKay into starting ruck, it would have to be Casboult. They will go with Lobbe, Caboult relieves and spends time forward.

Phillips played half a game in the VFL practise match Thursday afternoon, and did OK from all reports.

Lobbe is out injured, did a quad or hammy just a week or so ago.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
We threw Phillips in completely under done last year for 1 game. Everyone kicked the crap out of him for looking hopeless. History repeating this week?

Reply #25
Could Lang come straight in next week for Kennedy?

It would be him or Cunningham I'd imagine.

Reply #26
Phillips played half a game in the VFL practise match Thursday afternoon, and did OK from all reports.

Lobbe is out injured, did a quad or hammy just a week or so ago.

That means Mckay is next cab off the rank.  Given Kreuzer didnt fully wreck his groin and went back on he might get up for next week.  a week is a long time in football and a groin can be managed depending on how bad it is although Id rather not gamble.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
We threw Phillips in completely under done last year for 1 game. Everyone kicked the crap out of him for looking hopeless. History repeating this week?

We might not have a choice!

Could Lang come straight in next week for Kennedy?

It would be him or Cunningham I'd imagine.

Do you get the contradiction in those two posts, I gather it wasn't an accident!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
That means Mckay is next cab off the rank.  Given Kreuzer didnt fully wreck his groin and went back on he might get up for next week.  a week is a long time in football and a groin can be managed depending on how bad it is although Id rather not gamble.

I'd say Kreuzer has done an iliopsoas.

I had that same injury back in my playing days and the symptoms looked the same. It's an initial sharp pain near the groin but deep more towards the spine, you feel an immediate associated snap like doing an achilles tendon, but with only some immediate minor discomfort followed by a complete loss of power through the hips and core without any real ongoing pain.

If true he'll be able to play on but be affected for the remainder of the season. He'll lose some power in his jump, kicking, acceleration, core strength and lateral movement. It can take months to get over, I never really recovered until after an off-season but in reality I never got full strength back either!

So it's a worry! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
I'd say Kreuzer has done an iliopsoas.

I had that same injury back in my playing days and the symptoms looked the same. It's an initial sharp pain near the groin but deep more towards the spine, you feel an immediate with an associated snap like doing an achilles tendon, but with only some immediate minor discomfort followed by a complete loss of power through the hips and core without any real ongoing pain.

If true he'll be able to play on but be affected for the remainder of the season. He'll lose some power in his jump, kicking, acceleration, core strength and lateral movement. It can take months to get over, I never really recovered fully until after an off-season but in reality I never got full strength back either!

So it's a worry! :o

When I saw it happen, I thought the worst.

I turned to my Brother in law and told him that we might have seen Kreuzers last effective game in the AFL and then added (for Carlton anyway).

The bloke cant afford to carry something like this for a year.

I thought he just tweaked it to be honest and the fact he came back on alludes to that too, but he was effectively done and on to give someone else a breather.

Shame, if he goes down for any extended period of time, we will struggle to win many games.  I don't know a lot about footy but Kreuzer has been a big factor in our competitiveness thus far under Bolton.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson