Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 25295 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #45
P.S. I am at the point now were I would be disappointed if Crippa doesnt win the Brownlow. What a player.

how often does the winner come from the worst team?

Never....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
One of the things that struck me as the team came off the field was the attention Polson was getting from his team-mates.
All smiles, congratulatory and positive.

I think Polson is probably doing his job well and it's a no frills job, bringing pressure. He gets to plenty of contests and does apply pressure... a hidden stat, whilst other stats are seemingly low.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47

Never....
Yes you're correct but its beyond the realms of possibility. I have a feeling the umps love the big fella and the way he plays in the guts.

Woewodin in 2000, Coll were second worst. 2003 when Buckley won it with the Goodes and Roo, Coll were 4th last. G Ablett in 2013 GS with 5th last.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
I think Polson is probably doing his job well and it's a no frills job, bringing pressure. He get's to plenty of contests and does apply pressure... a hidden stat, whilst other stats are seemingly low.

Bolton did highlight that in the press conference afterwards. As previously mentioned he 'almost' does a lot of things well.  He just needs time. 

Reply #49
The second and third qtrs were ones to be savoured. As Bruce might say, 'delicioussss...'

Seeing the kids do so well was really heartening. Like H roaming around the middle, is good with ball in hand on the run... so many highlights from JW, Charlie, Dow and I agree with a previous poster that it was the best game we've seen from Marchbank - real authority and polish. Terrific to see Irish back in the side and showing dash.

But this kid Cripps, wow, what a player, what a leader. Hard to imagine him winning the Brownlow (from the bottom side) but sheesh, he'd have to poll damn well.

(SOS would be frowning though and probably had terse words with BB, "Okay, I'll allow you one more of those before the season is out... but nothing more...")

But you'd have to say that the GCS folded like soggy noodles when we applied pressure.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50

Never....

This question was raised recently.

The answer was twice.

...and not for the past 50 odd years i don't think.

Reply #51
Only seen highlights but very impressed by the nous shown by lesser lights,  the tap ons, blocks,  sacrificial acts etc. Just getting a hand in to take a fraction off the kick etc

Marchbank's bravery was quite notable,  the frees against him to 2MP were crap. Weeters showed he is the man when is doesn't have Jones creating chaos....pity he didn't put his knee up and really teach May a lesson.  

Hope they got plenty of antihistamine cream in their kit,  that coarse bladed tropical grass plus rain equals horrific itchy rashes.

Oh,  and a last thing,  FU Cam Mooney, enough of the snide remarks. Commentate don't opinionate.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #52
Happy to see SPS get a bit of it... go and get the ball son, we didn't draft you to tackle. Reckon he has been building up after a slow start, easily his best game for the year.

Dow also looked really sharp last night... also agree it was his best game. Stood out in the slippery conditions.

Reply #53
Dow also looked really sharp last night... also agree it was his best game. Stood out in the slippery conditions.

I reckon that the goal after the siren was an important step for the young man.  It was a simple shot but it would have been very easy for him to lose concentration.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
Only seen highlights but very impressed by the nous shown by lesser lights,  the tap ons, blocks,  sacrificial acts etc. Just getting a hand in to take a fraction off the kick etc

Marchbank's bravery was quite notable,  the frees against him to 2MP were crap. Weeters showed he is the man when is doesn't have Jones creating chaos....pity he didn't put his knee up and really teach May a lesson.  

Hope they got plenty of antihistamine cream in their kit,  that coarse bladed tropical grass plus rain equals horrific itchy rashes.

Oh,  and a last thing,  FU Cam Mooney, enough of the snide remarks. Commentate don't opinionate.
Cam Mooney was a Bluebagger growing up and has a soft spot for us now, has been very supportive of what we are doing as a club in general, what did he say last night?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #55
Happy to see SPS get a bit of it... go and get the ball son, we didn't draft you to tackle. Reckon he has been building up after a slow start, easily his best game for the year.

SPS seems like he only has one gear but his nous and lateral movement is great to watch.

Dow for a first season player is powerful and can push off from a standing start like a seasoned big bodied mid. Like SPS moves inside heavy traffic very well and doesn't panic.

Considering SPS is in his second season and Dow his first, and don't forget playing in the worst midfield in the comp - I'm very content with these 2 selections.

Reply #56
This question was raised recently.

The answer was twice.

...and not for the past 50 odd years i don't think.

It's funny though if you look back on the winners from the 60s and 70s they often came from the bottom 3 or 4 teams.
The last 20 years they're mostly from teams close to the top....rarely from a bottom four side.

Yes you're correct but its beyond the realms of possibility. I have a feeling the umps love the big fella and the way he plays in the guts.

Woewodin in 2000, Coll were second worst. 2003 when Buckley won it with the Goodes and Roo, Coll were 4th last. G Ablett in 2013 GS with 5th last.

Am I making a mistake somewhere, not reading the post correctly ???....Melbourne played Essendon in the Grand Final the year Woewodin won the Brownlow (he was with Melbourne then), the year Buckley shared the Brownlow Collingwood also made the grand final

Reply #57
It's funny though if you look back on the winners from the 60s and 70s they often came from the bottom 3 or 4 teams.
The last 20 years they're mostly from teams close to the top....rarely from a bottom four side.

Am I making a mistake somewhere, not reading the post correctly ???....Melbourne played Essendon in the Grand Final the year Woewodin won the Brownlow (he was with Melbourne then), the year Buckley shared the Brownlow Collingwood also made the grand final
Youre right Lods, my bad on both counts
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #58
Bunton?  Skilton?

Reply #59
Murray.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?