Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 25341 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
Any win at this point in time is a good win, especially interstate. Make no mistakes though Gold Coast are putrid, they have to be to be that much worse than the team we had out there.

It was very interesting to see after we got ahead, the confidence levels went up across the side and the more daring kicks and play on's happened.

Jack - Poor kid is being moved around the ground and not being allowed to settle, I know it's out of necessity but once he is allowed to get serious midfield minutes we may have a Hird like player on our hands.

Dow - When he has his own size players around then Paddys class really stands out, he being trying to do this stuff all season to mixed results, but he's a star in the making.

Murph - Really put in, may be finding some fitness and game touch, lead well

O'Brien - Does the right things more often than not, he's no Elite star but a very good player in the making, runs all game, very tidy delivery and surprisingly will go inside and cop a whach when required.

SPS - Put Samo around guys his own size and age and you can see what you get, unfortunately not may midfields are that small. Great game but in the gym young man, 5KG and some 10 sprint work.

Simmo - nuf said

Kennedy - Starting to get of glimspe of what Mat can do, I hope for an full pre season and look out.

Cripps - (enter superlative here)

Harry - It's his strength and confidence in the contest that's holding him back. Not even 21 yet so has plenty of growth, and I have a feeling that we will hit our straps when Harry does

Lamb - A game, did what he had to and I don't remember any thing bad, apart from the goal, I don't remember that much god either.

Lang - Has goal sense and links up, but he is slower than I remember at Geelong, maybe that's the injury but again we need a healthy pre season from Darcy for next year.

Rowe - Very limited, was a decent match up on 2MP. I don't know why we didn't start with that.

Marchbank - Got better as the game went on, still a way off his last seasons performance. Needs to hit the gym this off season.

Weitering - Best game since 2017. Do Weiters and Marchbank play better with Jones' one man zone?

Lobbe - Was soundly beaten in the ruck, stats will say he wasn't taht far off in hit outs but a lot were to nothing. Nice follow up work but offered little around the ground.

Poulson - Another almost game, almost picked up the ball almost held the tackle etc. Has pure speed and desire two qualities that will keep him on the list or now but much improvement needed.

Charlie - Wish the umpires would pay the holding frees

Pickett - Hope we can get an Andrew Walker type back for next season, shows flashes but I want a Hawthorn 2017 performance every game.

Curnow - Decent game, you always know what you get effort wise, it's just the quality of skill that differs.

Byrne - Wasn't it great to have a line running half back? I've forgotten what that looks like. Can't wait for Docherty and Williamson to join in. Very good return and showed real strength.

Daisy - They say the end comes quickly, and it has here. Don't know if they can keep a spot for him on the list.

Wright - See Daisy.

Reply #61
I reckon that the goal after the siren was an important step for the young man.  It was a simple shot but it would have been very easy for him to lose concentration.

Aye, showed poise and composure and dare I say a bit of maturity....

His team mates weren't exactly being quiet either!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
Thanks to our big win last night we no longer have the worst forward line in the AFL! Gold Coast have taken over as the team with the fewest points for this season, even though they've still won 2 more than us.

18. GCS 1,096
17. Carlton 1,125
16. Doggies 1,185 (still to play this week)
15. Freo 1,226 (still to play this week)
14. St Kilda 1,289
1. Melbourne 1,868

Reply #63
For those you missed the game or just want to relive the moment, our highlights from last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kftUMX-xbNw

(5 min 20 sec mark for some Dow magic)

You can also see one thing we've hardly done all year - actually celebrate goals as a team!

Reply #64
Bolton did highlight that in the press conference afterwards. As previously mentioned he 'almost' does a lot of things well.  He just needs time.

Thought that and he does crack in with enthusiasm. Let's not judge him too early - he may well pay dividends for us down the track.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
No pay TV so thanks for the highlights link Barbs, and everyone else for comments/insights.

Watching the highlights I was pleased to see Murph creatively involved.  Gee, GC need to learn how to close down stoppages in front of opposition goals.

What a brighter world it is when we can bestow some praise on our younger players.  Aaaaaaahhhhhh. Nice.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #66
Interesting to hear Charlie Curnow’s post game comments about Bolts, “He’s a really good coach!”

... and next week, one of the players will look past the cameras towards the autocue and monotonise, "I heartily endorse our current coach and/or board."  ;D
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #67
I think Polson is probably doing his job well and it's a no frills job, bringing pressure. He gets to plenty of contests and does apply pressure... a hidden stat, whilst other stats are seemingly low.

That's almost exactly what Bolton said in his presser.  If I didn't know better I'd think Baggers = Bolts  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68
Pretty sure Dow was in tears after the final siren.

I reckon this season has weighed heavily on the boys and the pressure that comes with being smashed in the media and that feeling of finally tasting victory after being belted all year disappears.

I know we all want wins and are disappointed with how it's panned out this season but these guys are human and are visibly hurting and trying pretty hard.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #69
Great win on the road, and a big pressure release for the club.

GC were awful and missed swallow a lot, but we have had plenty of injuries in games: it shows how much effect they have.

Felt we won off the back of getting numbers to the contest, placing pressure on GC midfield. We spread a little better than usual also, allowing us cleaner ball movement forward which translates into more entries and score.

Hope weitering pulls up OK. He played a fine game, and we looked more organised down back with some dash thanks to Byrne.

Go blues!

Reply #70
It was a low standard game but a win on the road is always good.
Plenty of good players in fact few poor performances, it made a big difference from last week having Byrne and Thomas in the back half setting us up.
Cripps, Murphy and Petrevski-Seton were outstanding.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #71
It was a low standard game but a win on the road is always good.
Plenty of good players in fact few poor performances, it made a big difference from last week having Byrne and Thomas in the back half setting us up.
Cripps, Murphy and Petrevski-Seton were outstanding.

The first half was shocking. I thought our skill level in H2 was remarkably good, almost beyond belief (relative to what has been shown in most other games this year).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #72
The entire team (wags included) are spending extra days on the GC to aid recovery and strengthen bonds.  A win totally changes the dynamics of the long weekend. I’m sure it will be a very positive experience on a number of different levels.

Reply #73
That's almost exactly what Bolton said in his presser.  If I didn't know better I'd think Baggers = Bolts  ;)

Who is this Bolts you speak of... think I'd better watch his post game media conference. Looks to me like Polson's being groomed to be our 'stopper'... post Curnow E. His ability to get from contest to contest and negate is very good... so it seemed logical.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
Who is this Bolts you speak of... think I'd better watch his post game media conference. Looks to me like Polson's being groomed to be our 'stopper'... post Curnow E. His ability to get from contest to contest and negate is very good... so it seemed logical.

He has the speed and hunger. Its a good start.