Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59316 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #30
If we sack the coach I'll cancel my membership.

The organisation needs to take a good hard look at itself before looking for a scapegoat.

Cats nearly sacked Bomber after we belted them at Optus back in the day. Set up a dynasty starting from the next season.

Hardwick and the entire board at Tigerland was nearly thrown out the door, but less than 12 months later they had a flag.

Buckley was all but sacked this time last year but pies were 1 kick away from ultimate glory.

If you are going to go down the rebuild path, don't jump at shadows. It takes time. Stay the course, its a long game we are playing.

Reply #31
Cats nearly sacked Bomber after we belted them at Optus back in the day. Set up a dynasty starting from the next season.

Hardwick and the entire board at Tigerland was nearly thrown out the door, but less than 12 months later they had a flag.

Buckley was all but sacked this time last year but pies were 1 kick away from ultimate glory.

If you are going to go down the rebuild path, don't jump at shadows. It takes time. Stay the course, its a long game we are playing.

Bolton is safe as there are no standout alternatives......

Reply #32

Yep.  Sacking coaches achieves nothing but masking problems.  New coach comes in, everyone gets a shot in the arm, things improve temporarily until it gets hard and reality hits, and that's all she wrote.  Then we start sacking players again until the new coach loses the group and everyone calls it a giant waste of their time and wants to leave.

Where have I heard this story again???
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Yep.  Sacking coaches achieves nothing but masking problems.  New coach comes in, everyone gets a shot in the arm, things improve temporarily until it gets hard and reality hits, and that's all she wrote.  Then we start sacking players again until the new coach loses the group and everyone calls it a giant waste of their time and wants to leave.

That's rubbish.  There are many examples on elite sport where sacking the coach gets an immediate result, and along term one at that.  The key is picking a good replacement.  Bolton is a goose and should go right now.

Reply #35
Looking at our coaching staff I may concede its not all Bolton, but we really need to upgrade some of our assistants.

Consider the midfield coaches of some of the best performing teams in recent years:
Collingwood - Rob Harvey
GWS - Lenny Hayes
West Coast - Nathan Van Berlo (with Hickmott)
Geelong - Nigel Lappin
Hawthorn - Scott Burns last year, Sam Mitchell this year.

We seem to have a more complicated structure of Barker as stoppages coach, Cameron Bruce as midfield coach and Brent Stanton as midfield development coach.

I really wish we had managed to coax Sam Mitchell to Carlton when he announced he was moving back to Melbourne. We need some better mentors for the young brigade we are bringing through.

Reply #36
For all his faults and short comings, I’d much rather have Bolton speaking on behalf of my club than the perpetual whinger Hardwick. How dumb is he!! Complain about treatment to your pinup boy when you’re winning, not when you lose because you look like a mega sook. ‘Protect the playmakers!’ Great Dimma, just include ALL playmakers like Danger, Cripps, Fyffe, Sloane etc not just Mr Precious who can’t handle a strong tag!! Bolton never uses those excuses (eg yesterday’s presser and the Jones question). He has every right to complain especially about the Cripps treatment, but he doesn’t. He throws the onus back on the players. Pi55 off Dimma, you are nothing more than a front runner coach who had a dream run and can’t handle it when the temperature is turned up in the kitchen!!!

Reply #37
For all his faults and short comings, I’d much rather have Bolton speaking on behalf of my club than the perpetual whinger Hardwick. How dumb is he!! Complain about treatment to your pinup boy when you’re winning, not when you lose because you look like a mega sook. ‘Protect the playmakers!’ Great Dimma, just include ALL playmakers like Danger, Cripps, Fyffe, Sloane etc not just Mr Precious who can’t handle a strong tag!! Bolton never uses those excuses (eg yesterday’s presser and the Jones question). He has every right to complain especially about the Cripps treatment, but he doesn’t. He throws the onus back on the players. Pi55 off Dimma, you are nothing more than a front runner coach who had a dream run and can’t handle it when the temperature is turned up in the kitchen!!!

Agree. Now that the green shoots etc. are out of the way (maybe for good), I like the new Bolts and the way he conducts his pressers. Hopefully the umps are paying close attention and will give us the rub of the green on 50/50 decisions.  :D

Reply #38
Agree. Now that the green shoots etc. are out of the way (maybe for good), I like the new Bolts and the way he conducts his pressers. Hopefully the umps are paying close attention and will give us the rub of the green on 50/50 decisions.  :D

Bolton's pressers like his coaching lack imagination and are full of well worn cliches that frankly most off us are sick of hearing.
Working hard on Tuesday and Thursday is what I expect after any game not just a loss....
Even the questions posed to Bolton are just Dorothy Dix nuffy stuff that most of us could answer......are we that bad that even journo's cant be bothered asking anything that
might get a negative reaction?....
Give the fans something, some hope...not we are working hard on the track, not we are challenging ourselves etc etc.......

Reply #39
Bolton's pressers like his coaching lack imagination and are full of well worn cliches that frankly most off us are sick of hearing.
Working hard on Tuesday and Thursday is what I expect after any game not just a loss....
Even the questions posed to Bolton are just Dorothy Dix nuffy stuff that most of us could answer......are we that bad that even journo's cant be bothered asking anything that
might get a negative reaction?....
Give the fans something, some hope...not we are working hard on the track, not we are challenging ourselves etc etc.......

Are you basing this on the latest presser, after the Swans game ? If so, what I heard was very different to what you write.

Reply #40

When you've won 3 from 35, 15 from 69, you don't leave things the same. Unless of course, you like losing.

We were in the finals 2 years after sacking Pagan, after being close the first year. Hinkley turned Port around immediately after Primus, miserably failed, Beveridge won a flag 2 years after McCartney struggled badly.

Reply #41

Give me a whinger who wins.

Reply #42
Wonder what Wallsy's report card on BB is saying? If Wallsy is the authority he is supposed to be, I would expect some real insights to be fed to both BB and upwards to the  board.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
Townsend...agree his post-match press conferences are better than Hardwick's and not looking for excuses...but the fact remains that 90% of the them are after a loss and most of us are a bit over hearing the same stuff with just different cliches. I'm concerned at what looks like the stalled development of our kids. Is it the coaching...impossible to say from the outside? But we simply have far too many top end draft pick players to NOT be showing much in the way of improvements. There's glimpses but yesterday was just a repeat of the first two rounds....one or maybe two competitive quarters and then we go missing for big periods and simple skill errors absolutely kill us time and again. Opposition teams just kill us when we haven't got the ball and when we do get it, it's heart in the mouth stuff with the lack of elite ball users in our squad.

All we've heard for the last season and a bit is the need to take the pressure of Patrick Cripps....if not for him in the first three rounds this year, the losing margins would've been double, if not more. He simply cannot do any more on his own and unless someone in the midfield steps up, it's impossible to see where a win comes from.

Reply #44
Walls is a dinosaur and has no business  being there. We as sacked him 30 years ago FFS.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!