Skip to main content
Topic: Daisy in strife (Read 20339 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Daisy in strife

Reply #120
The shame in the public domain is a deterrent.

It's not like he threatened someone with a chopstick.

FWIW the timing is impeccable.   We are dropping a very important player for a winnable game for no good reason,  AND it's a punishment that doesn't fit the crime which we don't see dished out too often.

You know when we sacked Robinson I backed the club.  This time, I'm not sure.  Daisy has enough credits in the bank where this seems very overeactive.

One of the few elder statesmen and influential mentors we have got on the sauce in public a couple of days before a game. That's setting a terrible example for the youngsters who clearly look up to Daisy.

The easy option would be to fine him.  The best and harder option is to hit him where it hurts and stop him playing the game he loves.  That sends a message to the entire list that we're serious about driving change and striving to be our best at all times.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
Damien Barrett

If   
anyone can produce the clause in a player's contract where it says you can't do something legal and have a few drinks at a charity function ...

then   
please forward it. Yep, get that it's bad image. But that's all it is. If the Blues were 9-1 and not 1-9, they would’ve made this go away, and Daisy would be playing. Don't ever forget - Hawthorn, chasing a history-making third consecutive flag in 2015, allowed Hodge to play in a qualifying final a week after he was done for drink-driving.  
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #122
I haven't heard this mentioned to much (apart from Terry Wallace) which seems a lot worse and he played finals

"Hawthorn  Luke Hodge being busted for drink driving a week out from the AFL finals after "a couple of drinks" at a social function"

Reply #123
Whether we think the punishment was fair or not...

Peers sitting in judgement are often harsher and hold each other to higher standards.
Once the players had control of the punishment the club couldn't intervene and overrule them without undermining them.

Reply #124
Whether we think the punishment was fair or not...

Peers sitting in judgement are often harsher and hold each other to higher standards.
Once the players had control of the punishment the club couldn't intervene and overrule them without undermining them.

As much as I respect that idea, I don't think it's that black and white Lods!

In the spectrum of participation, analogously AFL leadership groups sit somewhere between primary school and VCE, there will still be a guiding hand involved to some extent! So it's neither Lord of the Flies or Vladimir Putin!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Bolton says Daisy is not a certainty to return due to multiple reasons, form being one of them.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #127
Bolton says Daisy is not a certainty to return due to multiple reasons, form being one of them.

I'm going out on a limb and saying the form thing is rubbish.
He's been one of only around 3 or 4 guys that has been consistently good this season.

Reply #128
I'm going out on a limb and saying the form thing is rubbish.
He's been one of only around 3 or 4 guys that has been consistently good this season.

I think what Bolton meant was that Daisy's good form does not guarantee a return to the seniors next week - that they will be taking into account a few things when making their decision. 

Reply #129
I think what Bolton meant was that Daisy's good form does not guarantee a return to the seniors next week - that they will be taking into account a few things when making their decision.

I think "form" in that context refers to the blokes in the 22.  If those playing Daisy-type roles do well, he stays in the NBs.  If they play poorly, he comes back in.  No disrespect to Daisy, but I'd prefer to see him languishing in the NBs for a while ... but I don't think that's going to happen.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130
One of the few elder statesmen and influential mentors we have got on the sauce in public a couple of days before a game. That's setting a terrible example for the youngsters who clearly look up to Daisy.

The easy option would be to fine him.  The best and harder option is to hit him where it hurts and stop him playing the game he loves.  That sends a message to the entire list that we're serious about driving change and striving to be our best at all times.
"Kill one save many"
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #131
I think "form" in that context refers to the blokes in the 22.  If those playing Daisy-type roles do well, he stays in the NBs.  If they play poorly, he comes back in.  No disrespect to Daisy, but I'd prefer to see him languishing in the NBs for a while ... but I don't think that's going to happen.

I suspect you are right, I don't think Daisy has got any worries at all, half the kids in the team at the moment do not deserve their spot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
I think the Club's stance is a tad hypocritical and misguided. I much prefer the stance taken by the Hawks wrt Hodge. The message I get is every man for themselves. If someone like Mummy takes you out, you're on your own. And if you commit a minor misdemeanor, we'll hang you out to dry. That's not how you build unity, and it's far too literal an application of standards and values. What if there was no "optics"? What if it didn't come to the public's attention ? Would he still be dropped ?

Reply #133
I think the Club's stance is a tad hypocritical and misguided. I much prefer the stance taken by the Hawks wrt Hodge. The message I get is every man for themselves. If someone like Mummy takes you out, you're on your own. And if you commit a minor misdemeanor, we'll hang you out to dry. That's not how you build unity, and it's far too literal an application of standards and values. What if there was no "optics"? What if it didn't come to the public's attention ? Would he still be dropped ?

I agree with this 100%.

Privately we can do the discipline stuff but publicly we must be seen to "stick fat", and we are doing the opposite of "Stick Fat" whatever that is!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
As much as I respect that idea, I don't think it's that black and white Lods!

In the spectrum of participation, analogously AFL leadership groups sit somewhere between primary school and VCE, there will still be a guiding hand involved to some extent! So it's neither Lord of the Flies or Vladimir Putin!

We'll never know the extent of club involvement so we believe what we want to.

When Judd was asked what would happen to him on Monday night he said that it was "for the players to decide."

There may indeed have been some club 'suggestions' but in a week where the Captains took it upon themselves to have a player meeting I find it difficult to imagine that Cripps and Docherty would not have been quite comfortable with the penalty.