Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Celebration: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 22769 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Celebration: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #150
How good were his runs down the commentary side boundary and delivery I50 on the left peg no less?

Agreed - who would have thought - a mid who can kick both sides!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #151
How many matches has weitering been beaten this year? The poor bloke sees a lot of the high pressure balls playing in this team, as well as losing some key defenders , yet this kid has grow into the general of our defence.

He is more then just an incepting defender now. He can be relied upon to spoil consistently, he can chase down a forward like a small defender, is reliable by foot and has the smarts and poise in what can be a very hectic part of the ground. 

Cripps is amazing we all know that but let’s not forget what sort of player young weitering has become.  Will be our key defender for the next 10 years.

Very proud of this kid.

Top 3 in the b+f for me this far.

Liam Jones not far behind too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #152
Top 3 in the b+f for me this far.

Liam Jones not far behind too.

Jones was actually looking at AA before his collision.

Who would've thought 4 years ago that Jones and Casboult would have been our leading defenders. Going to be a tough defence to select soon. Weitering is starring, Marchbank played a good one last week inercepting well, and Goddard is killing it in the VFL.

Reply #153
Jones was actually looking at AA before his collision.

Who would've thought 4 years ago that Jones and Casboult would have been our leading defenders. Going to be a tough defence to select soon. Weitering is starring, Marchbank played a good one last week inercepting well, and Goddard is killing it in the VFL.
Really?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #154
Really?

Intercept marking was pretty good. Didn't start so well but few did. Certainly a lot better as the game went.

Reply #155
Marchbank and Plowman really get a bad rap on here, but both are pretty good defenders. They've been under immense pressure this year and some of their errors are as much about lack of movement from up the ground as it is anything they've done wrong.

Reply #156
Marchbank and Plowman really get a bad rap on here, but both are pretty good defenders. They've been under immense pressure this year and some of their errors are as much about lack of movement from up the ground as it is anything they've done wrong.

I would tend to agree. Teague gave Marchbank a big rap in his presser.

Reply #157

They have also been on the wrong end of some appalling umpiring decisions!

I reckon our backline has been a strength all season even though we haven’t had a settled line up.  All of the defenders have been guilty of telling errors - not just Marchbank and Plowman - but, as you suggest, many of those errors were the product of poor play/execution up the ground.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #158
FWIW, our best back 6 would be something like...

Plowman Weitering Newman
Simpson Jones Marchbank

....and everyone there has missed games this year except for Weitering.
Obviously Docherty has missed the whole year as well.

So far from settled.

We've been able to field those 6 players on only 4 occassions this year, rounds 3-6. Perhaps not so coincidently, its been some of our best performances this year.
Sydney - Gold Coast - Hawthorn - Bulldogs

Just saying.

Reply #159
One of the coaches rated Gibbons

CARLTON v BRISBANE
10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
6 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
6 Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 Ed Curnow (CARL)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Michael Gibbons (CARL)

Reply #161
I gave Gibbons a vote, hasnt really been that bad all season and is one of the few that can hit a target with his non preferred foot...

Reply #162
I gave Gibbons a vote, hasnt really been that bad all season and is one of the few that can hit a target with his non preferred foot...
... But sack sos for not getting state players?

Reply #163
... But sack sos for not getting state players?

He got one as an after thought after other clubs showed super recruiter how its done, could have had a real good one in Tim Kelly but I guess LOB was just too good to refuse....

Reply #164
He got one as an after thought after other clubs showed super recruiter how its done, could have had a real good one in Tim Kelly but I guess LOB was just too good to refuse....

Maybe SOS knew Tim Kelly would go home!

Even the Handbaggers seem resigned to the fact he's going to leave, a club we are supposed to model ourselves on can't hold onto the WA kid, what chance us?

On a separate issue, this is all hindsight, should haves and could haves, draft picks are not certainties, and sometimes how they pan out depends on who they play next to!
The Force Awakens!