Skip to main content
Topic: Jumpers 1-10 Snapshot for 2014. (Read 5131 times) previous topic - next topic

Jumpers 1-10 Snapshot for 2014.

1 – Andrew Walker – 165 games. Turning 28.
Likely to play at half back and use his running to break lines. The difference between Malthouse and Ratten getting AW down back is that now he is not asked to hold down a key position.

Things to improve – Last season was very good, could tighten up a bit on his direct opponent but if we got the same return then you wouldn’t complain. End of contract year which does spur professional sportsmen on so I’m expecting a better return for 2014.
2015 – Hopefully still on the list as he’s a free agent couldn’t see Carlton doing anything but trying to resign him.

2 – Troy Menzel – 7 games. Turning 20 in September.
With Betts gone there is a spot open on the forward line for a bigger body. Troy has some of Eddies goal sense, likes to tackle and is a natural forward. The only thing holding him back is fitness, and unfortunately we may have to wait another season or two for a true AFL fitness base. With that being said I’m hoping for 10-15 games and 30 goals.

Things to Improve – Fitness and Strength. Like all young boys coming into the game this will take time unless you play in red and black.
2015 – Expecting a full season and 40-50 goals.

3 – Marc Murphy – 165 games. Turning 27.
Started to grow into the captaincy as the season drew to an end leading by the front in a couple of come from behind victories, which coincided with Judd being out, so a question must be asked if he hides in Judd’s shadow too much.

Things to improve – Protecting himself when going into a contest, grabbing the games by the short and curlys and telling the boys to follow.
2015 – Captain (Premiership Captain?)

4 – Bryce Gibbs – 155 games. Turns 25 in March.
Looked much better when released into the midfield and with the inclusion of a couple of good ball users down back with Simpson and Walker plus the trade for Docherty hope Gibbs can stay there pushing forward and kicking around 20 goals this season.

Things to improve – Putting his stamp onto the game. Great thinking player, good size and keeps his feet, the tools are all there now for a dominant year and being in a contract and free agent year this could be a Gibbs year.
2015 – Hopefully still in Navy Blue, expect both Hawthorn and Collingwood to offer everything but the kitchen sink to him.

5 – Chris Judd – Games 259 – Turns 31 in September.
Maybe a year (or two) at half forward for Judd and the occasional midfield blast, just to give him a chop out. Can we expect the Judd of old? No, but the occasional cameo of brilliance is expected.

Things to improve – Goal Kicking, especially if 2014 sees him forward a bit more.
2015 – Hopefully still playing?

6 – Kade Simpson – Games 200. Turning 30
Took a few games to become accustomed to his new role down back, but when Kade found his feet, WOW! For a man as slight as Simmo to throw his body into so many contests just shows his courage, not on a weekly basis, but a play by play basis.

Things to improve – Now he knows what’s going on a little tighter on his man.
2015 – More of the same, this man needs a shot at the premiership (Like 1AW and Waite) as they were all here through the really BAD times and time is running out.

7 – Dylan Buckley – Games 1. Turns 21 in March.
This young man will come under scrutiny like no other this season, came to Carlton as a bargain father and son, great pace, Hard at it and good kick. While this is true there hasn’t been enough at VFL level to demand a game.

Things to improve – Strength and game sense. Dylan has some above average AFL skills, he just needs to impose himself at VFL and put his hand up or.......
2015 – Probably the biggest 50/50 and the ball is pretty much in Dylans court. He should take a leaf out of McLeans book, kept putting in performances for the Northern Blues  even after his papers appeared stamped but when an opportunity came he grabbed it.

8 – Matthew Kreuzer – Games 105. Turns 25
When can we get an injury free Kruez? Remembering back to his first year, his forward play was good and his set shots on goal were almost perfect, fast forward to now and we have a walking injury. The only people getting better when Matty’s around are the doctors who constantly have to work on him.

Things to improve – Time on ground, marking and kicking for goal. If MK’s going to play that forward/ruck role then he needs to be a 20-30 goal kicker and the majority of that will come from marks and set shots.
2015 – Starting to hit his “golden patch” age when ruckmen really blossom. He’s a loyal man so I don’t expect him to go anywhere.

9 – Kane Lucas – Games 35. Turns 23.
Hoping that Kane has a huge pre season for Carlton’s sake as well as his own. Has talent and does some things well, started to show a bit more mid season but faded away and ended in the Northern Blues, which is not good enough for someone with Lucas’ skillset. Everyone is not going to be a Robbo when it comes to attack on the ball and player, but when it’s your turn to go then you have to compete and this is where Kane lets himself and the team down. Campo would be a good comparison to Kane, outside runner who likes space and likes the goals but when it was his time to do the hard stuff Campo went.

Things to improve – Hardness over the ball, hands to be that one touch player and strength. Looking at a few photos he looks to be the same body shape, but that doesn’t mean too much, it’s his core strength that will help him stand up.
2015 – Another year like 2013 and the number 9 jumper may be up for our first rounder to take next season. Kane needs to be playing in 20+ games this year, if not then see ya.

10 – Matthew Watson - Games 16. Turns 22
Matty needs to play seniors, when he can string a few games together then he plays well. He has good size and we all know he can kick like a mule on his left, but a bit slow on the lead and doesn’t have that good of a reach. I actually think he could become a CHF the two games he played there in patches he did well, lead to the right spots, marked strongly and can kick from outside 50.

Things to improve – Speed. Probably the hardest skill to get better at but it can be done, and I’m not talking about sustained speed, what I’m saying is his first five steps to cover a lead or if playing forward getting a step on his opponent.
2015 – Hopefully we will see Matt get to 50 games. This will mean he’s played a big chunk in 2014. For Carlton to get better as a team we need another big body controlling one end of the ground and Watson must become that player.

For the first 10 we still have some potential improvement, not from the juniors like Buckley, Lucas, Menzel and Watson but even some from Murph, Gibbs and Kruezer. If all of them step up then this season could be anything. We know what we’ll get from Walker and Simpson, hopefully more of the same and Juddy, well just a dash of brilliance every now and then.

This is the pointy end of our list, if these 10 play well then top 4 is not out of the question.

Re: Jumpers 1-10 Snapshot for 2014.

Reply #1
Raydan Old Son... what's with the 2015? Getting a year ahead of yourself there, Knackers. Might want to edit the reports!

Good read. :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Re Watson, nous is more important than speed at CHF - see Lance 'the Lunchbox' Whitnall and even old Earl S.

Personally, keep Hendo down back and build a bloody solid defence.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
Re Watson, nous is more important than speed at CHF - see Lance 'the Lunchbox' Whitnall and even old Earl S.

I disagree. At present, Hendo is the only tall forward we have who can play inside our 50 without making a fool of himself. Can take a contested mark and can kick straight.

Reply #4

I disagree. At present, Hendo is the only tall forward we have who can play inside our 50 without making a fool of himself. Can take a contested mark and can kick straight.

I think the point is Watson has the 'potential' to play as a KPP - nothing more, nothing less...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5

I think the point is Watson has the 'potential' to play as a KPP - nothing more, nothing less...

In an ideal world Jammo and Watson would be the key tall defenders with Everitt the 3rd tall. Our forward line looked at its most lethal with both Hendo and Waite as the two talls up forward with a resting ruckman providing another headache for opposition coaches.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
Baggers that would be the ideal situation. Hendo down back for me is playing not to lose, with the current shape of the list he is a must up forward if we are any chance of going anywhere. For mine you need two genuine tall forwards not including the resting ruck, otherwise the better teams just have a field day against your one genuine key forward.

Reply #7

In an ideal world Jammo and Watson would be the key tall defenders with Everitt the 3rd tall. Our forward line looked at its most lethal with both Hendo and Waite as the two talls up forward with a resting ruckman providing another headache for opposition coaches.

From what Brock said on cfc.com yesterday, maybe Levi can be added to the mix too?
Reality always wins in the end.