Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues starting to look and feel like a better fit for us (Read 10992 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues starting to look and feel like a better fit for us

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/news/213-nbfc-gianfagna-saulted-for-trademark-award.html

Gianfagna says some interesting stuff in this write up. Makes you wonder about what was happening previously as well as whether or not this model can worl for us but im buoyed by his comments. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: Northern Blues starting to look and feel like a better fit for us

Reply #1
Well for starters we had a bloke who was given the arse as coach, mid-season or something in 2012 IIRC. Heart wasn't in it I reckon and needed to go. But why hire someone of the like in the first place? Club and feeder club need to be on the same page. 

Hyde wasn't it?

Reply #2
That's the kind of speech you want to hear from your captain, let's hope all the boys buy in to it !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #3
There is a good chance 2014 will be a tough year for them, they will have almost half a new team that they have to deal with. Good luck to them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
if Northern can keep the majority of the Bullant boys, maybe pickup a couple of talented mature players, get a couple of Knights' boys and have a bit of Carlton talent, things could be pretty good. But the issue with them has always been money. The Preston side of things have struggled for money for 20+ years. I am sure we will invest more money in that side of things over time, but we aren't exactly rolling in it yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
I was on my phone last night so couldnt do this bit properly and elected to wait till today, but these comments are brilliant.

This is what I hoped the Malthouse effect would have not only on the seniors but the entire setup.  Fingers crossed this starts to spread.  Its funny, culture takes buy in, and all it requires is for everyone to start thinking like this:

After thanking Webster, Gianfagna launched into dialogue on what 2014 holds for the Northern Blues.

“I think we can look back on the season and say it was successful, but I still think there’s a lot we can improve on,” Gianfagna said.

“Overall, I don’t think we can walk away from this year happy. The Development boys possibly being an exception, because they showed the spirit throughout the year that the senior team…lacked.”

Gianfagna touched on comeback losses against Port Melbourne, Collingwood, Sandringham and Frankston as performances that “lacked spirit”.

“We showed it for quarters, we showed it for halves. But if we want to win a flag – and I’m pretty sure everyone in this room wants to win a flag – we don’t lose those games.

“That’s the step we have to take next year. We have to be ruthless, we have to be hard on our teammates, we have to work harder on the track and we have to demand more from ourselves.

“If we walk away from this year happy, then we’re not going to proceed next year.

Gianfagna said the demanding of more from teammates was one thing he wanted to get out of a club “that I’ve been at for seven years, and love more than anything in the world”.

“If you walk away from this year happy and if you think this club is not your home club; that it will be a club you’ll be at for just two or three years, then we’re not going to get far as a team.

“People like Paul Dirago, Eamon Jenkins, Myles Dorman, Nick Meese, Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert; they’ve been here for three years, they call this their home club.

“This is our home club. From day one next year, anyone who walks in for pre-season calls this their home club, and we’re going to win a premiership together.”

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Mick Meese is an old fella but heputs in week after week and he takes the heavy work and would give the best a hard time.
Might be worth giving him a rookie spot as we spool in some young talent.
I respect the bloke!

Reply #7
I was on my phone last night so couldnt do this bit properly and elected to wait till today, but these comments are brilliant.

This is what I hoped the Malthouse effect would have not only on the seniors but the entire setup.  Fingers crossed this starts to spread.  Its funny, culture takes buy in, and all it requires is for everyone to start thinking like this:

After thanking Webster, Gianfagna launched into dialogue on what 2014 holds for the Northern Blues.

“I think we can look back on the season and say it was successful, but I still think there’s a lot we can improve on,” Gianfagna said.

“Overall, I don’t think we can walk away from this year happy. The Development boys possibly being an exception, because they showed the spirit throughout the year that the senior team…lacked.”

Gianfagna touched on comeback losses against Port Melbourne, Collingwood, Sandringham and Frankston as performances that “lacked spirit”.

“We showed it for quarters, we showed it for halves. But if we want to win a flag – and I’m pretty sure everyone in this room wants to win a flag – we don’t lose those games.

“That’s the step we have to take next year. We have to be ruthless, we have to be hard on our teammates, we have to work harder on the track and we have to demand more from ourselves.

“If we walk away from this year happy, then we’re not going to proceed next year.

Gianfagna said the demanding of more from teammates was one thing he wanted to get out of a club “that I’ve been at for seven years, and love more than anything in the world”.

“If you walk away from this year happy and if you think this club is not your home club; that it will be a club you’ll be at for just two or three years, then we’re not going to get far as a team.

“People like Paul Dirago, Eamon Jenkins, Myles Dorman, Nick Meese, Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert; they’ve been here for three years, they call this their home club.

“This is our home club. From day one next year, anyone who walks in for pre-season calls this their home club, and we’re going to win a premiership together.”

Impressive.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
Yes Baggers that is an impressive statement!

I only saw the one live NB game - the one you piked out on ;) - and they were pretty impressive in accounting for the eventual premiers. 

There's a core of talent there, but there's something missing, not to mention a disconnect with the Carlton team.

I often have a look at the Box Hill Hawks training sessions and I can see the Hawthorn style permeating everything they do.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Wasn't sure where else to put this or if it has already been posted...

From Tim Mitchell - "@WilliamstownFC pull off major coup, signing Adam Marcon from Northern Blues: http://t.co/6l8U6CLzQP"

https://twitter.com/tim_michell/status/393677132355743744

Reply #10
Not a good outcome for the Baby Blues, with Marcon poached and Lambert almost certain to be drafted or rookied this year, they might need to go out and do a bit of poaching themselves.

Reply #11
Not a good outcome for the Baby Blues, with Marcon poached and Lambert almost certain to be drafted or rookied this year, they might need to go out and do a bit of poaching themselves.

No Hampson, Collins, O'Keeffe, Davies, Mitchell, McCarthy, Joseph, Dale or Laidler either, but they might gain McInnes and Armfield/Robinson/Bell.

Reply #12
I guess we'll see (probably next March) if the Preston people can attract some talent. There will be some around this year. But losing Marcon and probably losing Lambert is really going to hurt.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
"The AFL today announced that Northern Blues (VFL) co-captain Andre Gianfagna would take up a position in the AFL’s ‘Player to Umpire Pathway Academy’, in a bid to win a position as a senior AFL list umpire." - http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-11-11/gianfagna-wants-to-umpire

How will this affect his role at the Northern Blues? The VAFA play Saturday arvos mostly.

Reply #14
http://northernbluesfc.com.au/news/223-nbfc-ins-and-outs-at-northern-blues.html

Meanwhile, the Blues are excited by the prospect of former Collingwood and Fremantle sharp-shooter, Jack Anthony, possibly committing to the club in season 2014.

Anthony had his first training session at Visy Park yesterday as the entire Northern Blues squad officially commenced pre-season.

This is one way to make the message sink in at VFL level.  How successful a game plan is, is dictated by player "buy in".  Anthony can only help in this regard due to his previous working relationship with Mick.

This can only help our AFL team, even if he is not in contention accordingly.  They will once again have a good target to hit up in the forwardline (something that has not always been true of our VFL side).

Paul Hewson