Skip to main content
Topic: Reserves Scratch Match V Geelong (Read 3042 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reserves Scratch Match V Geelong

Reply #15
The highlights on the club site are interesting.   I know it's only a sixteen a side scratch game,  but the flowing, fast down the guts ball movement and skill level from the next batch of running mids is encouraging.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
The highlights on the club site are interesting.  I know it's only a sixteen a side scratch game,  but the flowing, fast down the guts ball movement and skill level from the next batch of running mids is encouraging.
Like the old days of wingless VFA! ;D

What's the chance this 16 a side stuff is no accident? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Cunningham is a real tease.   Good size,  kicks the ball fluently, is a goal kicker and has pace... But only plays five minutes here and there.   What he does is good but he needs to do a lot more and contribute more consistently

The Cameo King. In a side trying to put 4 qtrs together a bloke with obvious concentration/focus issues can be more of a hindrance than help. I saw one episode against the Pussycats where he did well to gain possession but with so little awareness/comprehension of what was around him, ran straight into trouble when he had time, if he had the awareness, to lay off the aggott to a team mate.

Fisher seems like a proper replacement for Cuningham until he gets his concentration issues, sorted.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
The Cameo King. In a side trying to put 4 qtrs together a bloke with obvious concentration/focus issues can be more of a hindrance than help. I saw one episode against the Pussycats where he did well to gain possession but with so little awareness/comprehension of what was around him, ran straight into trouble when he had time, if he had the awareness, to lay off the aggott to a team mate.

Fisher seems like a proper replacement for Cuningham until he gets his concentration issues, sorted.

Josh Honey seems to be the one for moi. Along with Philp.

Great to read that Kennedy had a great game and used his physicality.

Encouraging to read that once Stocker got into the game he did well and also used his physicality.

Some proper pressure being applied to senior blokes... we like that.

Reply #22
Either we are building some significant depth, or this is all lip service.  Hard to tell if you can't observe for yourself!!

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/726492/reserves-player-by-player-review-v-geelong

It's pretty difficult to make any kind of assessment based on that. 16 a side, slower pace, scratch match...... and then there's the opposition - were they any good ?

Still not happy about not having a proper VFL team.

Reply #23
Josh Honey seems to be the one for moi. Along with Philp.

Great to read that Kennedy had a great game and used his physicality.

Encouraging to read that once Stocker got into the game he did well and also used his physicality.

Some proper pressure being applied to senior blokes... we like that.

Honey's U18 form is like Cuningham, played a great quarter then nothing for the rest of the game, kick a couple of goals, setup another then would take it easy for a half, its the reason he wasnt taken in the ND.
Loads of ability but very laid back in terms of temperament and intensity, when he is on he is dynamite but at other times just happy to spectate.

Reply #24
Honey's U18 form is like Cuningham, played a great quarter then nothing for the rest of the game, kick a couple of goals, setup another then would take it easy for a half, its the reason he wasnt taken in the ND.
Loads of ability but very laid back in terms of temperament and intensity, when he is on he is dynamite but at other times just happy to spectate.

Oh dear... though Honey does seem to at least have a bit more agro about him which might be something to work with, but we sure don't need another bloke in the seniors who loses concentration and focus.

Reply #25

I reckon that was the take on Dusty early on.  Sporadically explosive.  Not saying Honey is the next Dusty but in the right environment and with the right attitude, things can change.

Reply #26
The highlights - and they are just highlights - are very promising.  We should have some very good youngsters pressing for selection as this season progresses and into next year.

I wouldn't be rushing to replace any of the blokes from the first 22, and particularly not Setterfield who is doing his job very well.

The only bloke I'd think about dropping is Newnes but getting games into the youngsters isn't a priority now ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
The highlights - and they are just highlights - are very promising.  We should have some very good youngsters pressing for selection as this season progresses and into next year.

I wouldn't be rushing to replace any of the blokes from the first 22, and particularly not Setterfield who is doing his job very well.

The only bloke I'd think about dropping is Newnes but getting games into the youngsters isn't a priority now ...

I reckon Setters is only just keeping his spot at the minute. If we decide we need more pace he's an obvious one to drop.

Newnes would be in the same bucket but he did finish up with the ball near then end there and held his composure to hit Betts on the chest. Amongst all the nervousness that was our last qtr it's clear we need more settled / composed players.

Reply #28
I reckon that was the take on Dusty early on.  Sporadically explosive.  Not saying Honey is the next Dusty but in the right environment and with the right attitude, things can change.

Fair point, Honey might fire up for the right coach who can find his trigger and lift his work rate. I like him as a player because he doesnt mind it tough and can lift players around him by doing stuff other players cant at important times.
Has the swagger of a confident player and their isnt  much he cant do well.....can tackle great and one of those players who really kicks the ball hard with a nice laconic style. Reckon the fans will enjoy watching him, just got to make sure you dont fall asleep for a quarter else you might miss him doing his best work.