Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108854 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #435
Look at how it went down when shorten pushed for it.

Reply #436
Shorten's version was badly thought out and marketed.  If you are going to change people's financial planning at the drop of a hat, there needs to be provision for grandfathering/tapering of the change - it has been part of planning for 15-20 years, can't just undo it.

Reply #437
Shorten's version was badly thought out and marketed.  If you are going to change people's financial planning at the drop of a hat, there needs to be provision for grandfathering/tapering of the change - it has been part of planning for 15-20 years, can't just undo it.
Cost Labor a lot of retirees and their families votes, Wilson Asset Management boss Geoff Wilson campaigned hard against it and and won a lot of support. Going to be hard to win those votes back for Labor and the Libs are going to use it every election like how work choices became an anchor around their necks.

Reply #438
He is brainless and unelectable.  A tool.  Then again, so is turnbull.

Reply #439
That's the problem, Capcom.  Most of them are unelectable, but we do it to spite ourselves anyway.

Reply #440
We have a lot of forum members here who'd have relatives over in Greece that under threat from the fires.

I hope they are all safe and well and remain that way!

Check out the scenes from the ferry leaving Evia in this Guardian video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOTetUBVCk
The Force Awakens!

Reply #441
I can tell you some stories.

My cousin is a fire fighter in the Peleponese.  Its a proper horror show, and they are seeing a 46 degree heat wave at the moment. 

The saddest part is that this has been happening every year for years, and most of the time, they are arsonists.

The worst part, is that the government has failed to increase its workload, rendering the folk on evia largely fighting for themselves as they have no fire fighting presence.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #442
I can tell you some stories.

My cousin is a fire fighter in the Peleponese.  Its a proper horror show, and they are seeing a 46 degree heat wave at the moment. 

The saddest part is that this has been happening every year for years, and most of the time, they are arsonists.

The worst part, is that the government has failed to increase its workload, rendering the folk on evia largely fighting for themselves as they have no fire fighting presence.

That’s disturbing reading Thry. For a country that’s a member of the EU I would have expected plenty of assistance to have been forthcoming.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #443
We all know what 46C feels like.  Looks much like it was in Orbost early last year.  Effin' terrifying.

Reply #444
That’s disturbing reading Thry. For a country that’s a member of the EU I would have expected plenty of assistance to have been forthcoming.
fair play to some of the neighbours.  Greece has received some help from 22 odd nations as far and wide as USA, Russia and Egypt.

Some more than others, but beggars cannot be choosers. 

The public sentiment is very annoyed at the Greek government who seem to be forever not acting in the public interest. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #445
Nuclear Subs, ............... now there is a tell about what the politicians are really thinking! :o

The difference between what they say and what they think!

Is nuclear power next, should it be?

Personally, I see it as a natural direction / evolution, almost a no brainer, you end up with skilled military trained technicians retiring into the energy sector and Joe Average Australia gets cheap low carbon energy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #446
Nuclear Subs, ............... now there is a tell about what the politicians are really thinking! :o

The difference between what they say and what they think!

Is nuclear power next, should it be?

Personally, I see it as a natural direction / evolution, almost a no brainer, you end up with skilled military trained technicians retiring into the energy sector and Joe Average Australia gets cheap low carbon energy.

Already China has made their feelings known.  So has that child PM who has said she won't allow our nuclear powered subs to dock in NZ waters ...

Reply #447
But she's more than happy for half her population to work in Australia and everyone to go there for holidays
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #448
Already China has made their feelings known.  So has that child PM who has said she won't allow our nuclear powered subs to dock in NZ waters ...
They don't need to, that is the whole point of them!

But the NZ Military will happily allow them to patrol and protect Antarctic whales or NZ waters from illegal Chinese fishing, such is the hypocrisy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #449
Already China has made their feelings known.
China want to slip in the backdoor unobserved and give your missus or daughter a good rogering while you are distracted out the front watching the feuding Korean neighbours go head to head.

They could just wait out conventional resources, and then move at their convenience, nuclear resources that have long term persistence in the critical zones put an end to that!

NZ might well regret pretending to be the French, it won't save them as China do not care about them, China doesn't even care much about it's own!
The Force Awakens!