Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87331 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1350
While Smith did OK getting a start, before we crumbled, I remain convinced that Smith as opener does more for Smith's own career than it does for Australian cricket.

He is basically extending his own career at the expense of developing the next pair of openers. We've let these blokes go on too long, they won't go because they earn too much money, they have to be pushed!

i reckon its down to there not being a perfect alternative -  bancroft hasnt looked the goods for aus, and for his great overall fc record, does make a lot of low scores;   they want renshaw, but he just cant string scores together for qld;  harris is p00.  

the smoky may be madinson - like for like for warner (left hand, quick scorer), if he can keep is recent run going since returning from injury

Reply #1351
New Zealand's attack is very pedestrian yet we struggled, Southee is cooked, Henry a plodder and two newbies in Kuggeleijn and ORourke who have no experience at this level.
Smith isnt an opener and is more interested now in becoming a better short format player so he can play the world franchise circuit after his international career is over. Green was due and did well to get to his century but apart from Marsh playing bazball style its slim pickings from the rest all the way down to Carey.
Dont know whats happened to Marnus but he is devoid of confidence and must be close to losing his place in the team....

Reply #1352
Smith and Marnus out cheaply again..

I guess Marnus has got a way to go before he’s in a Mark Taylor “I’m batting well in the nets” form slump.

I’ve always thought that Smith is vulnerable early in his innings and that seems to be more the case when he’s opening.

I wonder if the pitch will get a bad report 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1353
Smith experiment fail, flogged by a kiwi, you can never live that down!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1354
You'd be excused for thinking Cummins has stolen Carey's ton in a vein attempt to prevent a discussion about Smith's future. Is it coincidence the NSW Cricket Mafia is discussing that Carey's spot is at risk while Smith remains secure as opener and Labuschagne a lock? Carey gets a ton and they can't possibly drop him as the NSW Cricket Mafia is discussing.

How our test captain couldn't farm the strike to give Carey his well deserved ton is bizarre if not shocking!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1355
Gutsy win in the end by Australia. Really hard fought win, great to see. Real question marks over the top order.

Reply #1356
You'd be excused for thinking Cummins has stolen Carey's ton in a vein attempt to prevent a discussion about Smith's future. Is it coincidence the NSW Cricket Mafia is discussing that Carey's spot is at risk while Smith remains secure as opener and Labuschagne a lock? Carey gets a ton and they can't possibly drop him as the NSW Cricket Mafia is discussing.

How our test captain couldn't farm the strike to give Carey his well deserved ton is bizarre if not shocking!

Cummins did try to get Carey back on strike but, at the end of the day, winning the Test is far more important than a century.  Carey may well have won the Test with a single and ended up on 99 anyway.

Carey isn't going to be dropped after winning man of the match.

Gutsy win in the end by Australia. Really hard fought win, great to see. Real question marks over the top order.

It was a hard fought win after Marsh and Carey seemed to be cruising towards victory.  I'd say the batting in general is fragile, not just the top order.  It's good when the tail can put together partnerships but that can't be relied on.  We were probably lucky that Sears was playing his first Test and lacked experience.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1357
It was a hard fought win after Marsh and Carey seemed to be cruising towards victory.  I'd say the batting in general is fragile, not just the top order.
I had to laugh today listening to the defence of Smith, because less than 24 hrs ago as the team crumbled it would have been Carey's head on the block.

On Smith we seem to have failed to learn from the way the Poms deconstructed Root. I'm sure they basically did the same thing that we are now repeating with Smith, and it took several seasons for Root to recover but starting as a much younger man.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1358
Head has been woeful this summer and Starc has been underwhelming as well.  None of the top six have had good summers, consistency is the mark of good players and none of the top six can currently be regarded as dependable.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?