Skip to main content
Topic: Sam Kerr (Read 1424 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sam Kerr

Reply #30
Kerr is entitled to her day in court (or out of it, if they can get the charges dismissed.)
We’ll let that play out.
She’s denying the charge.
There seems to be a general feeling that it’s all a bit trivial.
It’s certainly not worth gaol time.

If proven, is it that big a deal?
In some respects it is, for Sam’s reputation and position.
If the captain of an AFL side went out, got drunk and called an indigenous arresting officer a "stupid ‘black’ bastard" would they still be the captain.
I’m pretty sure the answer would be ‘no’.
There would be a contrite apology and a ‘stepping down’.

These discussions are always a bit tricky because we all approach them with our own experiences and prejudices.
I like to think I had pretty good relationships with the indigenous kids I taught. Over the 40 years I was teaching in Juvenile Justice/ Welfare I taught hundreds, if not thousands. There were times when my classes were 100% indigenous.
But I’ve probably been called a white c**t more times than I’ve had hot breakfasts.
Was I offended?
Maybe the first couple of times I heard it, but as the years went on, I don’t recall it ever hitting much of a nerve for two reasons.

-I was in the position of power and control. (Contrast that with being the only black student in a class of white peers+ a white teacher.)
-I knew it came from a moment of anger. I’d probably refused what the kid saw as a reasonable request-(The student wanting to do Art first thing in the morning rather than Maths or English…I was a bit of a c**t in that respect)

While I may not have been offended, there was probably a feeling of ‘sadness’ when a student I may have considered I had a pretty good relationship with expressed this ‘point of black/white difference’.
Because that attitude, expressed in a moment of anger, was real.
There was a difference between us based on colour.

Kids aren’t born with these prejudices.
It mostly comes from entrenched family and friend influences, and then experiences growing up. And that applies for both black and white families.
Admittedly my students usually came from a more depressed and oppressed background than most, where poverty, domestic violence and problems with the law and authorities were features of their family background, so I can only talk from that perspective.

Reply #31
She vomitted in a cab, then abused a cop.

EOA.  Racially or not, thats not on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
People will read the vomit word and assume "pissed n broke", but it might not be the case.

My understand the dispute started not because of the spew, but because of a refusal to pay the clean up fee, which is somewhat bizarre for somebody with a high public profile who is also making million$! Maybe extortion was involved, it's possible.

But I don't get why so many think abusing the law or other emergency services people is OK, I think that should be at least a fine.

In the meantime, the leftist media solely focus on the words, and completely ignore the hypocrisy of the action!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
People will read the vomit word and assume "pissed n broke", but it might not be the case.

My understand the dispute started not because of the spew, but because of a refusal to pay the clean up fee, which is somewhat bizarre for somebody with a high public profile who is also making million$! Maybe extortion was involved, it's possible.

But I don't get why so many think abusing the law or other emergency services people is OK, I think that should be at least a fine.

In the meantime, the leftist media solely focus on the words, and completely ignore the hypocrisy of the action!
Lets put the spewing up in the cab to the side for a minute, these high profile people (whether they like it or not) should know better about how to conduct themselves in public given the higher level of scrutiny and "surveillance" they have on them. In the end, she chose to FAAFO. You found out Sam, now you pay (like like the rest of us would).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Lets put the spewing up in the cab to the side for a minute, these high profile people (whether they like it or not) should know better about how to conduct themselves in public given the higher level of scrutiny and "surveillance" they have on them. In the end, she chose to FAAFO. You found out Sam, now you pay (like like the rest of us would).
Agree....Just own it and pay for the cab cleanup, apologise personally to the Policeman, make a donation to the benevolent fund for old coppers doing it tough and get yourself some PR points in the process.
She will probably get a mild fine and a good behaviour bond for 12 months and all the negative media which will probably cost her more could have been avoided with some smarts from Ms Kerr and her management.

Reply #35
Finally, if you think I'm off the mark, have a look at The Rage today publishing an article about GOATs in female sport. Who is missing from the graphic already, and do you think that is an accident?

Not an accident but a product of timing and the writer’s objectives

Surely you know that the Age article was written well before the Kerr story broke?

All of the girls featured are members of elite teams but none are athletes of Kerr’s stature in terms of leadership roles and public recognition.  That was one of the points of the article.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
Surely you know that the Age article was written well before the Kerr story broke?
In matters like this the content is irrelevant, in the print we knew years ago that the public mostly just read headlines and graphics, even back in the 80s when I was there and it took hours to create a graphic we would pause stories the next edition to get it just right.

Nothing you see is an accident or coincidence, probably a dozen people have ticked off that graphic and headline before it was published, and now they can change it in seconds.
The Force Awakens!