Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87341 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #405
We have the same the same issue with our NSW quotas.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #406
We have the same the same issue with our NSW quotas.

I had to think about that for a minute ... subtle but hard-hitting  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #407
Typing it on my phone and getting a call during that didn't help.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #408
Hazelwood, Starc, Cummins, Lyon , Warner and Smith plus Sean Abbott likely as the Pattinson replacement.
Michael Neser could be the permanent 12th man, never to play a test match.
Marnus, Green, Head and probably one of Khawaja or Pucovski to fill in the other opening spot.

Reply #409
"quota" is just another firm of racism EB,  what happened to primotion/selection based on merit?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #410
"quota" is just another firm of racism EB,  what happened to primotion/selection based on merit?
Prof, George Orwell would have made a good selector, he knew when the farmer was gone the animals would have problems working together as a team...

Reply #411
Vale Alan Davidson and Ashley Mallet, two fine Test players for Australia.
Alan Davidson's exploits were before my time but his record at test level is imposing and one of the best left arm quicks ever.
Mallet was an off spinner who excelled in the Chappell era when I was growing up as a young kid and in a non spin friendly
era where pace dominated he was the perfect foil to Dennis Lillee and company.
Great gully field too even though he wore thickish glasses and was a tad unco looking he was a brilliant catcher and was part of a slip cordon that caught everything. Worked as a journo later on,worked as a commentator on radio, wrote several books and was an intelligent individual who complimented the extroverts in the team. 
Great contributors to the game the both of them..RIP.

Reply #412
Vale Alan Davidson and Ashley Mallet, two fine Test players for Australia.
Alan Davidson's exploits were before my time but his record at test level is imposing and one of the best left arm quicks ever.
Mallet was an off spinner who excelled in the Chappell era when I was growing up as a young kid and in a non spin friendly
era where pace dominated he was the perfect foil to Dennis Lillee and company.
Great gully field too even though he wore thickish glasses and was a tad unco looking he was a brilliant catcher and was part of a slip cordon that caught everything. Worked as a journo later on,worked as a commentator on radio, wrote several books and was an intelligent individual who complimented the extroverts in the team. 
Great contributors to the game the both of them..RIP.

Didn’t mallet have to bowl to Kerry packer to gain a WSC spot?

Reply #413
Didn’t mallet have to bowl to Kerry packer to gain a WSC spot?
Did read that was a true story, KP said Mallet was a straight breaker and didn't want to sign him. The rumour was Mallet had to get him out within one over to get in the WSC team..

Reply #414
Did read that was a true story, KP said Mallet was a straight breaker and didn't want to sign him. The rumour was Mallet had to get him out within one over to get in the WSC team..

Surprised Mallett didn’t bounce him…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #415
When is Stoinis going to contribute something, and don't get me started on the great white hope from WA.  

Reply #416
Stoinis won't contribute - certainly not consistently.  While there is no doubt he can hit the ball hard, he has no idea about rotating the strike, getting the singles and taking pressure off.

Reply #417
Agreed, clueless when it comes to "finesse", it's just slogging.   Vastly overrated cricketer.

Reply #418
Ian Chappell has slammed Khawaja as a good player vs ordinary bowling and reckons the English will be all over him if he gets picked in the test series.. Tend to agree.
Pucovski has to play and learn how to deal with the short stuff..