Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 86302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #390
We aren't tracking well either EB.   The new selection panel will probably be swayed by public opinion and pick that hack Khawaja to partner Warner.... Oh look,  2/13 off 4 again.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #391
We aren't tracking well either EB.   The new selection panel will probably be swayed by public opinion and pick that hack Khawaja to partner Warner.... Oh look,  2/13 off 4 again.
Ian Healy wants Khawaja back in.. I'm like you and think it's a mistake and not looking at the future..

Reply #393
Khawaja is not a bad accumulator, better suited to test cricket than ODI or T20, but it's a backwards move because there is plenty of youthful talent in the offerings and they are a level above Khawaja in the field.

Like AFL past players, the cricket old boys network has far too much say, and they always favour the incumbents unless the potential replacement is their son or nephew!

I feel sorry for Khawaja, not for now but historically, it takes far too long to deliver guys like him an opportunity, and if you play for the wrong state you might not get an opportunity at all!

Meanwhile, the usual welded on underperformers persist, even in T20!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #394
Will Pucovski is the young man to open with Warner but with his concussion issues its going to be problematic for him to overcome given every quick he faces will be serving him up short stuff every over and it only takes one to land on the helmet and he will be missing games. Lucky England dont have Archer and only have the pacy Wood who himself cant stay on the park, the rest of their attack are seam and swing bowlers who wont present the same problems.
Not a real fan of Harris either, he is ok vs the B grade bowlers but vs the decent quicks isnt going to last long at the wicket.
Paine has the keeping job for this series but after that we may need a new keeper bat, been some love for Carey and the Josh's Inglis and Phillipe but I think the smokey for the job is Jimmy Peirson. My preference is Inglis.....better bat IMO but I reckon if Inglis makes runs this summer he may be get a test call up as a batsman only player even as an opener.

Reply #395
Will Pucovski is the young man to open with Warner but with his concussion issues its going to be problematic for him to overcome given every quick he faces will be serving him up short stuff every over and it only takes one to land on the helmet and he will be missing games. Lucky England dont have Archer and only have the pacy Wood who himself cant stay on the park, the rest of their attack are seam and swing bowlers who wont present the same problems.
Not a real fan of Harris either, he is ok vs the B grade bowlers but vs the decent quicks isnt going to last long at the wicket.
Paine has the keeping job for this series but after that we may need a new keeper bat, been some love for Carey and the Josh's Inglis and Phillipe but I think the smokey for the job is Jimmy Peirson. My preference is Inglis.....better bat IMO but I reckon if Inglis makes runs this summer he may be get a test call up as a batsman only player even as an opener.
Agree with most of that.

I find it quite hard to get a bearing on many players now, they play so much short form cricket it screws up their technique be it batting or bowling, too much T20 and ODI rubbish.

Personally, I'd be happy if the ICC made a rule that for International T20 or ODI the team had to come from players named or previously named in Test Squads. I realise it would kybosh some of the teenage sensations, but to me it's more about what is good for the sport and discouraging players just chasing the dollars no matter how remote the chance! Cricket is not Baseball, I've never been a fan of Tait types or even at times Starc or , I don't want guys who play 75% rubbish cricket for 25% highlights! Imagine how well placed Australia would be if guys like Maxwell had got the long form right, I mean he could have been Australia's version of Viv Richards!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #396
I will not watch anything other than Test Cricket ... you can jam the rest.  5 Cent entertainment for the masses

Reply #397
Can't believe you didn't watch Oman v PNG the other night,  Cap!

Reply #398
South African cricket still stuck in the past with regards white v black and the present team seem as divided as ever from the pictures I saw. Star Keeper/batsman DeKock withdraw from the Windies game after refusing to drop to one knee as part of the fight against racism initiative which I think was started by Michael Holding. Several of his teammates who did play also didnt do the knee and either stood there or raised a fist and its clear the Saffies are not a united team.
I know the quota system hasnt worked and SA have dropped down the rankings as a cricket power but DeKock's stance is a big negative on turning things around and even if he doesnt agree on the principles he needs to do it for the team.
Cant see how they can select him for any future tours or games.....

Reply #399
Very contentious decision, but not understanding the principles behind it, hard to make a call.  On balance, I think maybe he should have.  Equally, I can see why not.

Reply #400
Very contentious decision, but not understanding the principles behind it, hard to make a call.  On balance, I think maybe he should have.  Equally, I can see why not.

I have issues with the quota system and its prevented SA from fielding their best teams and they have lost players to the English county system, the IPL and even NZ with players like Conway now getting picked in all forms.
DeKock doesnt have to like it or those running the game behind the scenes but publically needs to do the right thing as their marquee player IMHO. Things will only change if there is a bit common sense and compromise from both sides, you want to see the best cricketers playing but there is the political game that needs to be played first and a system setup in SA that allows the best talent to rise to the top not dependent on what colour you skin is and you have to set up the structures that provide equality to all.

Reply #401
I have issues with the quota system and its prevented SA from fielding their best teams and they have lost players to the English county system, the IPL and even NZ with players like Conway now getting picked in all forms.
DeKock doesnt have to like it or those running the game behind the scenes but publically needs to do the right thing as their marquee player IMHO. Things will only change if there is a bit common sense and compromise from both sides, you want to see the best cricketers playing but there is the political game that needs to be played first and a system setup in SA that allows the best talent to rise to the top not dependent on what colour you skin is and you have to set up the structures that provide equality to all.

Great comment @ElwoodBlues1

Reply #402
Things will only change if there is a bit common sense and compromise from both sides, you want to see the best cricketers playing but there is the political game that needs to be played first and a system setup in SA that allows the best talent to rise to the top not dependent on what colour you skin is and you have to set up the structures that provide equality to all.
Any of us with relatives in SA, Zimbabwe, Tanzania or similar have heard the stories and how Apartheid still exists but just inverted. The new 'quota' laws infiltrating Africa are used by the corrupt to basically sequester farm land and commercial properties without compensation, often with no intent to continue the enterprise.

I know people who held significant farm land, housing, servicing and employing about 50 locals on the property to manage and work the farm. In total with families that was about 300 people living and working within the farm boundary. Corrupt bureaucrats / officials basically used government channels to assert the workers were 'slave labour', kicked the owners off the land, sacked and evicted all the staff leaving them jobless and homeless, then broke up the homes and village amenities to sell off the chattels, hardware and furniture pilfering any commercial stock the traders held in the process, it just disappeared and nobody knows. Then as a final and even bigger insult, the property titles of 'some worthless land' were on-sold for a pittance to what was assumed to be a political insider. All with no compensation offered to any of the title owners. The farm is left to degrade, the land is no longer worked, the services have collapsed. Basic grain and feed which came off the farm, have now been replaced with imports, you guessed it from a company owned by another politician. This is a business that had operated for almost 50 years and employed several generations of locals while providing free lease land to the employee families which they had developed into family homes, small trading shops like a bakery and butcher, and village amenities like a medical clinic and pre-school. All gone and now they all get zero welfare!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #403
I have heard the above scenario, twice,    essentially verbatim, from two sources.  It's another form of "racism",  just the skin colour of the crooks in charge has changed.  The sooner people understand that "racism" is a built in, inherent feature of humanity the sooner we can do something realistic about it. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #404
I have heard the above scenario, twice,    essentially verbatim, from two sources.  It's another form of "racism",  just the skin colour of the crooks in charge has changed.  The sooner people understand that "racism" is a built in, inherent feature of humanity the sooner we can do something realistic about it. 
Prof,DeKock has apologised since and said he will take the knee and suggested that he was making a stance and wanted more done to fix the problems and wasn't racist.
But I think it's more along the lines of what you are saying and things have gone 180 degrees in terms of how SA cricket is now being administered. I watch a bit of the one day domestic SA cricket on Kayo every now and then and there are some very good players not getting a game at international level and it's because quotas are preventing their selection.
If they could pick their best team on talent alone they would be a dominant force in world cricket but they need to fix all their political problems first before that happens and they can't get the balance right it seems.