Skip to main content
Topic: AO 2021 (Read 6112 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AO 2021

Reply #15
People complain.

For example, you guys are complaining about people complaining, and wondering why they have the right to complain.

They have the right to complain, because they are human beings, and if you say nothing about what is currently impacting you, then you are advocating people stay silent, STFU, and hit their ball around and leave us alone.

Its amazing.

I had a conversation the other day, and it was regarding mental health, and why people don't speak up.  Yet, here we are wondering why a pro player, is complaining about something that they in our opinion shouldn't be complaining about.

Do we want people to speak up or are we going to label them whingers??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
I think we see a difference between complaining and blaming, at least I do.

I suppose in discussing this I should be more careful of the terms used, but I just take it that others discussing this are also referring to the blame game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
All I am saying is, be careful what you wish for.

Once upon a time, colorful characters were in sport.  They were real people, with real opinions, they lived real lives and now we are advocating that they act more like robots and less like people to satisfy ourselves.

John Mcnroe forged a career on it.  There were always plenty of fiery characters.  Instead, now when we see people who behave "appallingly" we look down our nose at them rather than exercise a modicum of respect.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18

John Mcnroe forged a career on it.  There were always plenty of fiery characters.  Instead, now when we see people who behave "appallingly" we look down our nose at them rather than exercise a modicum of respect.
I'm not sure I understand this perspective, people behaving appallingly deserve our respect!

I recall McEnroe being a knob on the court, I don't really recall him being precious or appalling off court, actually off court I have memories of him being quite charitable but maybe they aren't reliable memories given the distance. I don't count occasions when he was baited by media types, in that circumstance he has my permission to bite back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
People complain.

For example, you guys are complaining about people complaining, and wondering why they have the right to complain.

They have the right to complain, because they are human beings, and if you say nothing about what is currently impacting you, then you are advocating people stay silent, STFU, and hit their ball around and leave us alone.

Its amazing.

I had a conversation the other day, and it was regarding mental health, and why people don't speak up.  Yet, here we are wondering why a pro player, is complaining about something that they in our opinion shouldn't be complaining about.

Perhaps there are parallels, I just don't see them. I just see privileged, prat, guests in our country, having a whinge about a government, trying to keep our citizens safe in the midst of a global pandemic, of making it hard for them to hit a ball around and make money. If you don't like the rules here, go hit your little tennis ball around in some other covid infested country and leave the rule making in Australia to the adults.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
I'm not sure I understand this perspective, people behaving appallingly deserve our respect!

I recall McEnroe being a knob on the court, I don't really recall him being precious or appalling off court, actually off court I have memories of him being quite charitable but maybe they aren't reliable memories given the distance. I don't count occasions when he was baited by media types, in that circumstance he has my permission to bite back.

You need a villain or two in any sport to drag the punters through the door, Jmac played his role to perfection, of course he had great ability too but seems to be remembered more for his flair ups and slanging matches with umpires.
End of the day though he made a great career out of being a knob on court but knew how to get it done off the court too and thats a skill on its own.
You look at Anna Kournikova now retired and Genie Bouchard, they just have to look good carrying a racket and wearing the designer tennis gear and its game set and match. You would be able to count the number of tournaments won from each on one hand and have fingers to spare at careers end but they will leave the game as winners, this is just how pro sport and in particular tennis rolls.
They wont go down in history as great players but having an angle to make money out of is all that counts.....but with all that comes this attitude and treat me as special behavior and in these CoVid times copping complaints from very privileged individuals like well to do Tennis players is very hard to handle . Leave the theatrics, and prima-donna stuff for the court and take a hit for the public who make your life so good and follow the rules like we all have to do is all the community wants from them in return for their special lifestyles.

Reply #21
Tennis to me now is just another component of today's bullcrap world, right up there with social media and "reality tv". Never watch  these days.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
I saw some irony last night in a tennis report.

Apparently someone having a phone conversation at the back row of the stand is an intolerable distraction, but squealing like a pig as you serve is all OK!

In fairness I thought the players had moderate this a bit recently, I'm not sure if that is the officials clamping down or the player's embarrassment of the unbridled squeal in an empty stadium. But as soon as there is a big point, it seems to resurface.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
The medical timeout strikes again!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24

But Ash is a class act!  Hopefully, she will learn from this.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I heard about this on the news, blaming a swing in the game on a medical time out. A bigger load of horse crape I have never heard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Muchado's medical timeout is just something for everyone who is on the AO teat to get upset about/ talk about/ express outrage over.   Non- story.

I have watched more matches this year than other years and picked some good ones - I have also just walked away from several that are tripe.  Won't watch Djokovic as a rule.

Reply #27
I heard about this on the news, blaming a swing in the game on a medical time out. A bigger load of horse crape I have never heard.
They are coached about when to take them, sports psychologists are part of the entourage, it's a tactic like grunting!

If Ash missed a trick it was taking her own medical time out when momentum swung!

One day the event will degrade into a medical intervention tit-for-tat, the tennis version of a soccer swan dive, I'm predicting this to happen between some European players and the match will be declared a nil all draw!

These are professional athletes, being paid hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars by tax payers, and they secure victory by very very questionable tactics.

Start billing/fining them for medical timeouts, maybe 10% of prize money per incident, don't bill/fine them if they retire hurt from a match. I'll predict the frequency of timeout incidents greatly diminishes because most are disingenuous.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
As much as I love seeing our Ash Barty in the contest and ranked No.1, I have to say I think Naomi Osaka is the world's best at the moment by some margin.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
All I saw was that Osaka was 2-0 down in the first set.  The score suggests a great win.  She's an excellent player.  Williams is another that I don't watch (although I would watch Osaka, which makes this match quite conflicting!)