Skip to main content
Topic: Prince Phillip Dies (Read 2563 times) previous topic - next topic

Prince Phillip Dies

Didn't quite make it to 100, but he got damned close!
RIP.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Prince Phillip Dies

Reply #1
Top bloke by all accounts.  Great sense of humour apparently .... 

Reply #3
I do some contracting for The Duke of Edinburgh's Award (and worked there for 11 years).  Great legacy program for youth development,  which he put his name and a lot of time and effort into.

Reply #4
He was a ripper, so politically incorrect, loved him.
RIP Ol Boy, that was a fair knock.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
RIP to Prince Philip but I'm no fan of Royal families in general and see them as over privledged side shows that are supported by
the taxes of the commoner.... and what a terrible description of working folk that word is.

Reply #6
RIP, but not really a fan.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
Just for once, I'll separate his service and standards to the office with the disgusting and lecturing behaviour of two of his idiot sons ....

Rest in peace mate and know you gave your best.

Reply #8
Condolences to his family but I have no time for the concept that one’s birth somehow makes you superior.

I was extremely p1ssed off that the ABC interrupted my Friday night TV with endless footage of 50 year old parades and meaningless platitudes from irrelevant monarchists.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
RIP to Prince Philip but I'm no fan of Royal families in general and see them as over privledged side shows that are supported by
the taxes of the commoner.... and what a terrible description of working folk that word is.

Are you complaining because you're a commoner? If you were offered a title would you turn it down?

Reply #10
Yes, they are privileged,  but I would hate their lifestyle.   They work hard.   When they tour,  they have multiple engagements each day,  with different audiences, make a speech at each one,  understand who the audience is,  why the audience is there and a lot of meet & greets.

At a table of twenty, they receive resumes of everyone,  have to speak to them all and will remember a talking point about everyone,  as they are the conversation starters.   In a VIP room,  a royal was told they were late,  but he recognised that he hadn't yet spoken to everyone and didn't leave until he had.

Weirdly, they are born into it and their life isn't really their choice.

I was like a few responses above, and still am in many regards,  but I certainly respect what they have to do.

Reply #11
If I was getting paid as much as they do, I would work hard too.  I don't mind the old Queen, she worked like a "commoner" in WW2.  Apart from her, the only one I have any time for is young Harry.  He put his life on the line in Afghanistan and his work with disabled veterans has been outstanding.  The rest of them are not much more than leeches on society.

The concept of royalty is anachronistic and the sooner it's consigned to the rubbish bin of history the better!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I think they all do bits of that.

They've all served in the armed forces.  They're all career royals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no royal family fan, but when you see kids getting paid loads of money to party and chase a pig skin filled with air, or wasting time on tik tok videos whilst these guys go visit people in poverty and generally don't live the life of an average young person you quickly see that society has gone to the dogs there isn't much hard work being done by anyone anymore, and most people are leeches on society through social media you start to think its just a sign of the times.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Are you complaining because you're a commoner? If you were offered a title would you turn it down?
I could be the Duke of Ikon Park but that wouldn't make me happy, I'd still sit with my commoner mates, over pay for my pie and coffee at the footy and then squeeze into the train on the Belgrave line and be a lot happier than some titled ponce who thinks that hunting foxes, waving to the those on Struggle Street makes me a better human than them.
The Royal family are nothing more than an over paid tourist attraction that detract and suck resources from other more important issues...

Reply #14
I think that's the point though....
I'm around Charles' vintage.
I'd take my life over his in a heartbeat.