Skip to main content
Topic: Movie & TV thread... (Read 12105 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Movie thread...

Reply #60
While I also don't get the whole scientology thing with Tom he has made some exceptionally good movies over the years
Liked
American Made
Jerry Maguire (unlucky not to get the best actor academy award on this one and The English Patient beats it for best picture? Pffft)
A Few Good Men
Born On The Fourth Of July
The Firm

And for pure entertainment, All the Mission Impossible and Jack Reachers
All very watchable.

Reply #61
While I also don't get the whole scientology thing with Tom he has made some exceptionally good movies over the years
Liked
American Made
Jerry Maguire (unlucky not to get the best actor academy award on this one and The English Patient beats it for best picture? Pffft)
A Few Good Men
Born On The Fourth Of July

The Firm

And for pure entertainment, All the Mission Impossible and Jack Reachers
All very watchable.

Can't do it.
Seen the 3 in bold, thats it.
None of the MI's or JR's....

I'm largely turned off by your typical hollywood movies. Its all too predictable, over the top, unrealistic etc. Tom Cruise epitomises hollywood for mine.

How many little indie films has he made? Its always bigger, better, faster, stronger..... *yawn*

Reply #62
@Baggers
If you like your sci fi, more light hearted and sitcom-y, watch a couple episodes of Red Dwarf on Stan. Started in the 80's, had 8 seasons or so....then a decade+ long break, then came back....went away....came back. 12 seasons all up.

Despite all the levity in the show, the concepts would be very much at home in a Star Trek episode.
First season is a bit slow, but it picks up. Short seasons too.

Reply #63
Another movie that is on Stan for ya......Splice.

Bit different....might not be your cup of tea. But its well done and could be a Black Mirror episode the way it plays out.

Reply #64
@Baggers
If you like your sci fi, more light hearted and sitcom-y, watch a couple episodes of Red Dwarf on Stan. Started in the 80's, had 8 seasons or so....then a decade+ long break, then came back....went away....came back. 12 seasons all up.

Despite all the levity in the show, the concepts would be very much at home in a Star Trek episode.
First season is a bit slow, but it picks up. Short seasons too.

Long time fan of Red Dwarf. Love it.

Splice is now on the list. Thank you, K.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #65
Denzel Washington.  The Equalizers 1 and 2.  Brilliant.

V for Vendetta (Hugo Weaving) just unbelievable

Reply #66
Not a movie but a ripper Aussie series on Fox is Mr Inbetween. Very dark and funny at the same time, its the story of a Sydney based hitman. Main character is a no name guy, supported by many well known actors across many episodes. Very easy to watch as episodes are 25min long. Give it crack.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #67
Again not movies....
They won't be for everyone's taste but I'm quite partial to some of the Scandanavian TV series of recent times.
Ragnarok (fantasy about Norse Gods and giants in human form) and Occupied (threatened Russian invasion and influence of Norway combined with a strong environmental, energy theme).
The newest one Katla (about a volcano with a bit of a supernatural aspect) looks like it could be a good one too.

Reply #69
Any luck baggers?

Thank you, K. Great tip... loved it!!!

I'm going to give Tenet a watch tonight (after the game... or earlier if it's looking like a disaster!!). Have you seen it yet? Just released on Netflix.

Reply #70
I'm going to give Tenet a watch tonight (after the game... or earlier if it's looking like a disaster!!). Have you seen it yet? Just released on Netflix.
Watched this one this week. Boy, is it a mind-f$%k or what. Will need to give it another go at some stage. Would suggest watching it without any alcohol influence beforehand.

Reply #71
Thank you, K. Great tip... loved it!!!

Noticed it was on netflix. Haven't seen it yet.

Glad you enjoyed it.

It can be a bit divisive....as you probably realise.

If you can track it down, watch Cube. College film that is done really well with a somewhat simple plot. Has 2 sequels that are fair too.

Reply #72
Another movie that is on Stan for ya......Splice.

Bit different....might not be your cup of tea. But its well done and could be a Black Mirror episode the way it plays out.

To add a little more to why I liked Splice - DNA intervention movies, if well acted and even a little plausible, really get me in. And Splice was all of those. The journey that Dren took them on, morally and scientifically, was really well done. Great imagination from the creator/writer. I wrote a novel with a few vaguely similar concepts and all things being equal, it will come out next year... my editor recommended turning it into a screenplay... so I did a screenplay intensive course a few years back - such a different medium. Can't wait to get into it once finishing my present project.

Reply #73
To add a little more to why I liked Splice - DNA intervention movies, if well acted and even a little plausible, really get me in. And Splice was all of those. The journey that Dren took them on, morally and scientifically, was really well done. Great imagination from the creator/writer. I wrote a novel with a few vaguely similar concepts and all things being equal, it will come out next year... my editor recommended turning it into a screenplay... so I did a screenplay intensive course a few years back - such a different medium. Can't wait to get into it once finishing my present project.
Well done Baggers Ol Boy, hope its a winner for you.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #74
Well done Baggers Ol Boy, hope its a winner for you.

Thank you, GTC. A labour of love! Would have had the present project -- biblical supernatural thriller -- finished last year only good old PTSD floored me for a few months. Not complaining, just the way it is... on that, as an aside, helping out the RSL with the veterans suicide prevention task force - another passion.