Skip to main content
Topic: Movie & TV thread... (Read 12089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Movie thread...

Reply #105
I see shooting has started on the new Alex Baldwin movie.

Whats the US take on it? If only the camera crew had guns they could've defended the crew from the bullets?

Been a while since Brandon Lee died in a similar fashion but i remember watching something about how that supopsedly happened.

Apparantly when you shoot blanks, sometimes there is a bit left behind in the gun, so if you reload with another blank round, it fires what was left from the previous round and essentially makes it a bullet. In that case it was deemed an error from the stunt coordinator who failed to check properly.

Not sure if its the same with all guns/blanks but a relatively 'simple' mistake has ruined multiple lives.

Reply #106
Ask Dean Cain (ex Superman Character) who's now a real life cop.  He knows this stuff back to front.  You NEVER fire a gun of ANY type on a movie set.  Baldwin's career is now dead.  As is his wealth.  Great !!

Reply #107
Looking straight down the barrel camera shot!

https://youtu.be/Mjkt4UgcTmg?t=123

yep
That makes sense.

From the LA times...

"Actor Alec Baldwin was practicing removing a revolver from its holster and aiming toward the camera during rehearsal for the movie “Rust” when director Joel Souza heard “what sounded like a whip and then a loud pop,” according to a search warrant obtained by the Los Angeles Times on Sunday night that also provided grim new details about the final minutes of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins’ life."

Reply #108
Ask Dean Cain (ex Superman Character) who's now a real life cop.  He knows this stuff back to front.  You NEVER fire a gun of ANY type on a movie set.  Baldwin's career is now dead.  As is his wealth.  Great !!
Did some lighting hoist design/green screen work for a mate who was working at the Docklands studio's and the College of the Arts and watched a few movies being made and its a fairly rigorous process to get a gun on set.The Armourer is the one who will cop it as all the firearm safety stuff falls on their shoulders.
I believe the Armourer involved in the Baldwin film has gone into hiding and with good reason....seems she might have had a few dubious events previously. Even on the student films I watched being made they had the best professionals, its not an area where you take short cuts, all the Armourers I saw were senior gentleman with many years experience not sure this was the case on this film set.

Reply #109
Did some lighting hoist design/green screen work for a mate who was working at the Docklands studio's and the College of the Arts and watched a few movies being made and its a fairly rigorous process to get a gun on set.The Armourer is the one who will cop it as all the firearm safety stuff falls on their shoulders.
I believe the Armourer involved in the Baldwin film has gone into hiding and with good reason....seems she might have had a few dubious events previously. Even on the student films I watched being made they had the best professionals, its not an area where you take short cuts, all the Armourers I saw were senior gentleman with many years experience not sure this was the case on this film set.

Her father is apparently one of the best in the business and she learn't from him....but she had expressed doubts about her own ability with blanks.

Reply #110
Her father is apparently one of the best in the business and she learn't from him....but she had expressed doubts about her own ability with blanks.
Those doubts would have made me changing armourers...not really a career with much leeway for failure.
Many years ago My sister in laws ex did some pistol training for his security licence and was told the Experienced Instructor who was assigned to them had recently returned to work after accidently shooting himself in the head.

Reply #111
How on earth does a live round find its way on to a movie set and in to a firearm that has been checked by the armourer?  There is no way that anyone with very basic firearms training could mistake a live round for a blank.

There are protocols for firing weapons loaded with blanks in the direction of folk on or off movie sets.  We were permitted to aim rifles and machine guns loaded with blanks directly at the "enemy" provided they were 10m or more away.

That is a ridiculous statement.  Firearms are routinely discharged on the sets of many movies, and most Hollywood movies.

Baldwin must be devastated but the information released indicates that he was told the firearm was safe.  If anything affects his career, it will be the psychological impact of accidentally taking a life.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #112
Trump fans and the NRA going to town on him.

"Guns don't kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people"

Pretty stupid when the incident does highlight that guns kill people by accident.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #113
That is a ridiculous statement.  Firearms are routinely discharged on the sets of many movies, and most Hollywood movies.

Then talk to Cain about it, not me !!

Reply #114
How on earth does a live round find its way on to a movie set and in to a firearm that has been checked by the armourer?  There is no way that anyone with very basic firearms training could mistake a live round for a blank.

There are protocols for firing weapons loaded with blanks in the direction of folk on or off movie sets.  We were permitted to aim rifles and machine guns loaded with blanks directly at the "enemy" provided they were 10m or more away.

Baldwin must be devastated but the information released indicates that he was told the firearm was safe.  If anything affects his career, it will be the psychological impact of accidentally taking a life.

Well said, David. Naturally as part of my military training (RAN) we were tirelessly drilled on firearms safety - it was a major part of our training. A 'live' round looks very different to a 'blank' round. Totally different. Only Mr Magoo couldn't tell the difference. My very first question when hearing of this tragedy was 'how the hell did a live round get onto a movie set?'

It was drilled into us even when using blanks, as you rightly pointed out, that the only safe distance was at least 10 yards (in those days)... preferably much further. AND, every firearm after use MUST be cleaned to ensure to ensure a pristine barrel (the infamous 'pull through'). The 3 weapons I personally became pretty proficient with were the Browning 9mm pistol, SLR17 long barrell and even the 50 cal machine gun (a beast of a weapon)... love how Sly Stallone could carry and fire one of those on his own - pure fantasy.

Naturally we all feel for Halyna's loved ones, colleagues and friends... but also Alec Baldwin. He trusted the professionals around him and was tragically let down. The fact he has spent time with Halyna's loved ones shows class and deep remorse.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #115
My very first question when hearing of this tragedy was 'how the hell did a live round get onto a movie set?'
It doesn't need live rounds on set to kill someone, it can be a Brandon Lee type scenario.

In Lee's case they used dummy shells c/w projectile but no charge for a close up filming of the handgun being loaded, but when they swapped out the dummy rounds for blanks nobody noticed one of the projectiles had come off the shell and was lodged in the barrel. When they fired the blanks at the actor the round left lodged in the barrel killed him!

I believe people have also been killed by the wadding used in some blanks, but this can't be the case given the round went right through the victim and hit the director standing behind.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
It doesn't need live rounds on set to kill someone, it can be a Brandon Lee type scenario.

In Lee's case they used dummy shells c/w projectile but no charge for a close up filming of the handgun being loaded, but when they swapped out the dummy rounds for blanks nobody noticed one of the projectiles had come off the shell and was lodged in the barrel. When they fired the blanks at the actor the round left lodged in the barrel killed him!

I believe people have also been killed by the wadding used in some blanks, but this can't be the case given the round went right through the victim and hit the director standing behind.

re Lee
I basically said the same thing in the 1st post on top of this page.

Reply #117

If the regime of cleaning a barrel after every use had been adhered to, and is adhered to, then no remaining part from any previous use could still be present in the barrel.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #118

Even the hot gases produced by the firing of a blank cartridge can cause harm, as can solid parts of the blank.  Any such parts are quite small and decelerate quickly, hence the 10 metre rule in the military.

The Brandon Lee scenario may have been slightly more difficult to detect but should have been picked up by a competent armourer.  If anything, the Brandon Lee tragedy should have resulted in more rigorous firearms safety checks. 

Aurangzeb junior is flogging T-shirts mocking Alec Baldwin's part in this tragic loss of life.  I can't help thinking that the world would be a better place if Aurangzeb had been drowned at birth.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #119
There was another actor who died from a blank, although not a big name like Brandon Lee. Unfortunately, the guy with the gun was frustrated by delays in filming the scene and joked he was so bored he was going to kill himself. He then pointed the gun at the side of his head and pulled the trigger. The blast sent a piece of his skull through his brain.