Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 17770 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #315
Someone on FB went to listen to Robert Walls at a Sportsman's Night.

"I had the pleasure of listening to Robert Walls speak last night at a Sportsman’s Association evening. He’s a great presenter and spoke for roughly an hour (inc Q & A), a few take aways for me were;
1. He mentioned that he still follows Carlton, and that he met with Mark Maclure on Tuesday to speak about his comments. For what it’s worth he agrees with Maclure but won’t speak to the media about it as the Club always follows up with a please explain (in his words; “I don’t want to be beaten over the head with a baseball bat”)
2. As the current team sits he can see that there’s only 3 players that would die for the jumper each game. He named them in order of Cripps, Walsh & Ed Curnow. Jones & Weitering go close but just aren’t desperate enough every minute of every game. He said the rest were happy to get paid and be mediocre.
3. His son is the current list manager/TPP manager at Freo and he’s based in Melbourne as Freo has a focus on WA players as the go home factor is real. He never mentioned Cripps as being a target but did speak of Tim English, Aaron Naughton & Bailey Dale of the WB’s. Also mentioned that Fyfe is currently on 1.4mil a year. I read into this that he was trying to say they won’t be going for “big fish” but rather younger players on smaller contracts."

Reply #316
I don't agree with the whole "we're crap at development" theory. Not many of our players who have left have become good footballers elsewhere. JK is the exception but there were exceptional circumstances there.

It is much more the case that we recruit the wrong players to start with. SOS sort of put that right but then our other main problem struck... amateurish board & management.

Then you've got to consider fitness.

We seem to be permanently 10-15 players down. What the solution is there I don't know.

Take the equivalent or Charlie, TDK, Parks, Newman, JSOS, Kemp, Caroll, Martin, Fisher, Marchbank, McDonald off the Port list, give us all of those players fit and re-run last week's game and see who wins. It is hard to judge the list build when you never get to see the list play.

Reply #317
I don't agree with the whole "we're crap at development" theory. Not many of our players who have left have become good footballers elsewhere. JK is the exception but there were exceptional circumstances there.

Eddie Betts played better at Adelaide.
Mitch Robinson played better at Brisbane
Nick Holman clearly better at Gold Coast
Lachie Henderson played his best football with Geelong
Zach Tuohy played his best at Geelong
Shaun Grigg played his best at Richmond
Josh Kennedy at West Coast
Sam Jacobs at Adelaide
Shaun Hampson at Richmond

..and thats just off the top of my head.