Skip to main content
Topic: Captains. (Read 1848 times) previous topic - next topic

Captains.

When Cripps is 'on' he can be an inspirational leader.
I actually preferred Docherty when the last lot of discussions for Captain came up, but injury has had a big impact.

And there is the issue.
Cripps appears to struggle through seasons these days and I suspect (more often than we may realise)..... plays injured.
Docherty may never return to the consistent effectiveness he displayed pre-injury.
The longevity of both is uncertain.

We have two young players who are almost guaranteed 8-10 year+ starting 22 certainties.
I believe they've shown enough in on-field leadership through their playing efforts that they'd fit comfortably into the role.
But I guess those closer to the club would have a better idea as to the  all round suitability.
If they do get the tick....
At the end of this year should we make the change to a Weitering/Walsh dynasty to take us forward with a bit of stability for an extended period.
No Co-Captains....a traditional Captain/Vice Captain (in whatever combination)

Re: Captains.

Reply #1
Docherty should do the right thing and stand down tomorrow.  He's not up to the task and hardly ordained to it.  Too long on the sidelines

Reply #2
Docherty is brave on and off the field and didn't have a great night but the bloke will take a hit for the team and kudos to him.
Not many on our list will show his commitment.
Think both him and Cripps would be better players without being Co captains.
Weitering is the obvious choice...

Reply #3
Docherty is brave on and off the field and didn't have a great night but the bloke will take a hit for the team and kudos to him.
Not many will on our list will show his commitment.

Agree. He seems to be made of the right stuff for the job.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
Not many will on our list will show his commitment.

Agree.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #5
When Cripps is 'on' he can be an inspirational leader player.
This isn't news to anyone who visits this forum.

I don't know what deal the club has done that requires this guy to be captain, but it's cruelling his career!

Making your best player the captain by default is dead set dumb, you'll never see Dusty captain of Nthmond.

The trouble is to keep Cripps in the fold he has to be the one making the call, if we kibosh him he'll be done with the club!

People are puzzled by Doc, but it's pretty simple, he's got one good eye and under the current rules he's got next to no time to get a good look around him. Opposition clubs are now focussing on his bad side, it is AFL and being nice leaves you as road kill, it's tough but it is what they do, yet somehow I feel it's not what we would do and that in itself is a problem! We play nice, we've been doing that since the AFL whacked us in the early 2000s.

Weitering wasn't ready until now, but he clearly is ready now and last night is proof of that. I know quite a few on here doubt him, but not me, most of our D50 problems stem from our midfield and forwards. We've too many guys who go flat stick towards the goals and half-rat pace the other way! If there is to be a bias in the system, it has to be the exact opposite of what we do!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
The trouble is to keep Cripps in the fold he has to be the one making the call, if we kibosh him he'll be done with the club!

Do we know this though?

One of the big criticisms of Cripps at the moment seems to be that "He tries to do too much. He tries to do it all"

How much of that is the responsibility he feels in being Captain?
Is it different to the way he played before he assumed the captaincy?
Would not being Captain have a positive effect on the way he plays?
Is he that type of personality that "he has to be 'the man' or he walks"?...if that's the case it's maybe a reason why he shouldn't be boss.

Absolutely agree that it's not necessarily your best player who should be captain.
It's an easy option to choose that player.
But having said that there have been quite a few who fitted both roles, so it becomes more about the person than their ability.

Reply #7
A true leader has nous but does not feel the need to do everything himself and to hog all the glory.  He instead makes sure everyone knows their role and encourages and supports/assists each player to play their role to the absolute best of their ability. He also plays his own role with maturity and avoids costly and team deflating mistakes. I believe we are seriously lacking this kind of leadership. Love him or hate him, Hodge was that type of leader.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Do we know this though?

One of the big criticisms of Cripps at the moment seems to be that "He tries to do too much. He tries to do it all"

How much of that is the responsibility he feels in being Captain?
Is it different to the way he played before he assumed the captaincy?
Would not being Captain have a positive effect on the way he plays?
Is he that type of personality that "he has to be 'the man' or he walks"?...if that's the case it's maybe a reason why he shouldn't be boss.

Absolutely agree that it's not necessarily your best player who should be captain.
It's an easy option to choose that player.
But having said that there have been quite a few who fitted both roles, so it becomes more about the person than their ability.
Either way I see the captaincy is the problem, it either contributes to the problems or prevents us and him correcting them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I like the idea of a floating captaincy based on reward for effort. Or perhaps one constant captain, and one floating co captain. Whoever is the BOG this week, gets to captain next week. It would boost morale, it would spread the load and stress, it would help to cover injury and loss of form, and it would be a bit of a carrot for the players IMO. Imagine if someone like Cottrell was captain / co captain for a week. Of course, the players would need to be briefed and educated in the off season, but you never know..............

Reply #10
The Carlton captaincy is a poisoned chalice ATM.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
Yep I wouldn't make weitering captain.

It seems to draw a massive x on this player for opposition to target.

Cripps can be a fine captain.

His issue is that he's worrying too much about his own game and everyone seems to be hitting him up accordingly too (I noticed we kicked to him when we shouldn't have many times last night).

This won't be a popular choice, but I think plowman will be a better choice for captain.  I think he's one that might take a few by surprise.

Still, cripps just needs to ease up a bit and docherty will be fine.  Last night he wrecked his shoulder so badly that two regulation marks led to him conceding goals because it was a fresh hit.  The fact he got up and went over and over again was extremely sacrificial and inspirational.

I think we should tinker as minimally as possible.  The club lacks consistency on field because our approach off field has been anything but consistent and its time to build it slowly.

We have a raft of young talent we don't see much if or hear about which is cause for a bit of excitement.  Guys like Philp, honey, kemp, Carroll, stocker etc are going to be the layer of player we uncover over the next few years and people are going to be surprised as they've been developing on slow heat without the continuous pressure from being thrown to the wolves.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Can;t make Plowman captain, does give away the odd free when people get in his face.....which would happen more.

Give it to Walsh.

Kid hasn't put a foot wrong since being called with the #1 pick, despite the entire world around him crashing and burning more often than not.
Rising star in his first year.
Best yound player in his second (best player in their first or second year in the AFL)
This year he is taking his game to another level. Batman and Robin? More like Robin and Batman. He is outperforming Cripps!

Is unflappable. Well liked and respected. TEAM ORIENTED. A guy that players will want to do the right thing for.
Weiters for VC.

Reply #13
My personal view is that we put someone in the position who-
1) Is (barring a serious injury) a long term proposition (i.e still relatively young)
2) Is an almost certain starting 22 player for the duration of his career.

At the start of next season Cripps will be 27, Docherty 28...both have had injuries, issues that suggest they won't play deep into their thirties. Cripps is especially suspect given the physical way he plays the game.
If we're building a side for the long term we need long term leadership.

Walsh or Weitering seem to be the obvious choices.

Reply #14
My personal view is that we put someone in the position who-
1) Is (barring a serious injury) a long term proposition (i.e still relatively young)
2) Is an almost certain starting 22 player for the duration of his career.

At the start of next season Cripps will be 27, Docherty 28...both have had injuries issues that suggest they won't play deep into their thirties. Cripps is especially suspect given the physical way he plays the game.
If we're building a side for the long term we need long term leadership.

Walsh or Weitering seem to be the obvious choices.
Either Walsh or Weitering would make excellent Captains. Jack Silvagni is made of the right stuff also, whether he is long term or not only the Richmond bloke can answer that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time