Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game passion: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 10750 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game passion: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #165
My gripe is non chasing, spectating and leaving the teammates hung out dry.
I don't want them guarding grass like what happened with Bolton... You still have to chase and pressure even with little hope of success sometimes.. See Hooker vs Buddy..
Our blokes don't see it that way, often they just slow up and give it away..
I don't have a problem with that want, but it doesn't fit with Kings analysis which is what I commented on.

King's lambasting guys Plowman and sMurph(or whoever) for following players into a contest, in other words he's lambasting them for chasing.

It lets those players I highlighted above off the hook, three or four from our midfield, that are almost unaccountable to any opposition.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #166
King and Montagna actually blamed the coach and our defensive system or lack of one. Montagna actually said we will win games because we're a good football team.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #167
King and Montagna actually blamed the coach and our defensive system or lack of one. Montagna actually said we will win games because we're a good football team.
I agree that the problem is tactical / coach / MC related, but that doesn't stop King's opinion being offered like a weathervane. If King coached he'd kill a team with mixed messages and backflips.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168
So he says we should flood back, rather than making rich play accountable footy by hanging forward?

I had this argument many years ago when fev wouldn't leave full forward.  My argument was, why would you want him to?

To allow your opponent to make the ground smaller and flood forward?  Nope.  You need to open space on the rebound and you don't do that by sacking back.

Im no master tactician but in team sports you need to open the play and make the ground bigger when attacking, and you need to close the space and make the ground smaller when defending.  That doesn't mean pull your forwards back though.  In soccer they have to because of the offside rule.  You can't pass to them anyway and it brings defenders up the ground rather than flooding back.

In footy when defending, you should have a get out kick on each wing and flank, and one at true Chf.  This should make your opposition spread their defenders and cause some chaos.  We seem to allow them to hunt in packs.

Why?  We move the ball poorly.  Its not a coaching or system issue.  It's a lack of understanding among teammates.  I think we need some consistency in selection and coaching more than anything else.  Injuries are hurting this as much as anything else.

Stick with the system.  It will work eventually.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #169
The problem with all of the above can be solved, again, by having blokes who find a teammate when they have the ball.

You dont need to defend if you have the ball.

Reply #170
But this year, since last year, even my friends who are MCC members are not going to many games if any, yet we've been to several suburban games.

MCC have to pre-book tickets, which is not something they are used to.  I am sure this has dropped a few off.   It takes away the, I'll wait until the last minute and decide if I'll go, crowd

R1 v Tigs, they changed the capacity from 50% to 75% 2 days before the match, and then wondered why the ground was less than half full!!

Reply #171
I agree that the problem is tactical / coach / MC related, but that doesn't stop King's opinion being offered like a weathervane. If King coached he'd kill a team with mixed messages and backflips.

Correct.  I am sure you could find a single piece of footage, from any club, from any game, to prove any point.  King, grabs one piece of footage and then acts like that proves he is 100% correct on any opinion...  Then rinse and repeat the next week

Reply #172
Correct.  I am sure you could find a single piece of footage, from any club, from any game, to prove any point.  King, grabs one piece of footage and then acts like that proves he is 100% correct on any opinion...  Then rinse and repeat the next week
We are an easy target, there is so much footage to work with over a long period, he doesnt have to think too much its just there
waiting to be edited into his next rant. We often get beaten the same way with the same opposition players doing the damage and its very easy for him to prove his points and they are repetitive because so is the way we lose..

Reply #173
On another note, is it just me, or are the commentators getting even worse??
- Eddie - calling Levi "Levi Greenwood" twice!!
- Dwayne - "there is 5 minutes left in this last quarter, but based on how the last 2 quarters went, it could go for a lot longer".... umm, not sure thats how it works, Dwayne....
- Reiwolt - "Carlton were really good, there, at taking ground, though the use of legs"..... umm, do you mean, "running", Nick??

Reply #174
Milhanna.....there's a few cliches that have crept into the commentary vocabulary in recent years that absolutely sh#t me to tears:

1. "running on top of the ground"......as opposed to what?....underneath it.
2. "lower the eyes"

Reply #177
I was level 2 as well behind the goals and didn't hear anything like that.
If we had a Whatsapp group, I could send you a video of at least one said horrid supporter
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #178
Great post Fly....pretty much sums up what most of us have been saying collectively for a while now.