Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game passion: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 10674 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game passion: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
Yet to see why we paid 800 K for five years for Williams. 

I am hopeful that Z.Williams improves as he has had a couple of niggles pre-season (calf) and recently an ankle.   But yes we are yet to see 800k worth in action

Reply #46
What do you think Cripps is worth on 2020/2021 form?

I’ll take Freo’s 1st a top 5 pick (2021 strong draft for quality midfielders) and very soild B  youngish player that can give us immediate impact.
Free cap space too, so chase another quality Free Agent Midfielder.

Reply #47
I am hopwful that Z.Williams improves as he has had a couple of niggles pre-season (calf) and recently an ankle.   But yes we are yet to see 800k worth in action

Agree underwhelming, however first year after recruitment is usual like that all three 2020 additions will be fine next year.

Reply #48
Next year is too late.   Liddle said "the time for development is over".  Something is going to give.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
More fancied teams than us lost by 97 points and 40 points. 

Yes, but they don't do it week in, week out, month in month out, year in, year out.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
5 years ago we and Brisbane were bottom three.   Five years later they're top three (have been for two years)  and we're still bottom three.  And people tell me to be patient!?! Enough!

Reply #51
Yes, but they don't do it week in, week out, month in month out, year in, year out.
decade in decade out
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
5 years ago we and Brisbane were bottom three.   Five years later they're top three (have been for two years)  and we're still bottom three.  And people tell me to be patient!?! Enough!
Brisbane were rubbish further back than we were.

They self destructed earlier and started picking up youngsters earlier with the end result of what we see today.

We both might have been bottom 3 but they still have a player from the Chris yarran draft in their team and we don't. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
Fair Point...

Reply #54
Brisbane were rubbish further back than we were.

They self destructed earlier and started picking up youngsters earlier with the end result of what we see today.

We both might have been bottom 3 but they still have a player from the Chris yarran draft in their team and we don't. 
One we fail to plan for every year who of late has been a real nuisance...

Reply #55
When is DeKoning back? 

Just watched reply of 2nd quarter and my gosh Pittonet got creamed - their mids received it on a platter every single time centre bounce and it lead to their first 4 goals of the quarter. I like pit as he is a hard worker who gives his all but he was totally dominated.

Reply #56
Skills include converting and creating opportunities when you are on top...You have seen plenty of football, how many of us knew after the 1st quarter we were in trouble?. We had all the play and couldnt put enough score on the board, they were always going to have their run with the ball as all teams do and they punished us in the 2nd,  game over, bit of a rally in the 3rd but once they steadied that was the game.
Intent was good in the first but we softened up in the second, stopped manning up and they kicked easy goals.....its all Walsh and Cripps onball and nothing else. They had 5 mids plus Rich in their best players, we spent all our gas and apart from Walsh who goes all day its spasmodic returns from the other mids
Williams was ordinary and like last week started well but faded and only had 20 possies again, thats not going to win games for us vs quality like Brisbane have onball...

Agree. Think of their forward line players when kicking for goal.  i can remember four goals kicked with set shots from about the fifty metre line.  Their forwards had the confidence in their kicking ability to take the shot and bang it through the goals.

Except for Walsh's goal on the run I can't think of any Carlton forward kicking a goal from that distance.

What I did see was the usual hesitancy near the fifty metre line, plenty of attempts to handball which put the receiver in trouble, many kicks of about thirty metres or less to forwards already covered, kicking in error to the opposition backs, kicking over the heads of our forwards - you know, attempt anything rather than take the responsibility of kicking a goal.  So we fall into the same pattern with the usual skill errors we see every week made by players who are just not up to standard.

Reply #57
Yarran, perceived to be the best player in the draft,  is in jail.   The player we could have drafted,  but regarded as too vanilla,  gets three brownlow votes against us every time.  For more than a decade now.

Reply #58

The Carlton Is Slow, but The Pauly is Patient.

Sorry lads and lasses, but I don't see the doom and gloom. Sometimes, as the Dees have showed, all it takes is some tweaking and adjustments. The numbers make it clear that we're in the ballpark.

I asked Daniel Hoyne what the stats say our biggest problem is, and he said, "Getting hurt from ball use." Our biggest problem is turnovers and decision making. When (and if) we get that sorted, we'll be a good team.

Now, back to our regular scheduled broadcasting.....................

Reply #59
Yarran, perceived to be the best player in the draft,  is in jail.   The player we could have drafted,  but regarded as too vanilla,  gets three brownlow votes against us every time.  For more than a decade now.
Walsh is boring Vanilla, Yarran was a flair player with greater talent but when you are a battling club with recruiting problems loading up on some boring Vanilla can be the safe way to go as Walsh has shown.
The lack of accountability with Rich is mind boggling .....you look at the Lions and their are five players who stand out as threats and they are Neale, McCluggage , Zorko, Cameron and Rich. You dont need to be a a coach or assistant with coaching certifications to figure it out especially when Rich has burnt us several times...