Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat (Read 10752 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat

Reply #15
Good to get the win, but the numbers are a worry. We just took our opportunities more than they did.

And that's all you have to do sometimes....

No question, there's a lot to improve, but we could have lost by 16 and another honourable loss....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
I like Parks does his job in the air and was deceptively fast with his tackle of tippa , it was right in front of me at the game and he read the play to create the opportunity to tackle and then  nailed it. More impressive than anything I’ve seen Williamson do lately.
Thought Parks showed some good signs but he had his problems with Harrison who outmarked and kicked goals on him.
Parks plays tall but we sold him a tough task playing on a 196cm player even if he is a kid.

Reply #17
The Hun (Acting as Flubbo's Proxy) is going to try and assert we played BiGH with COVID symptoms without getting a COVID test.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
The Hun (Acting as Flubbo's Proxy) is going to try and assert we played BiGH with COVID symptoms without getting a COVID test.

Teague addressed that in the post match - said he had the test and all clear.

Reply #19
That was a game we probably would have lost 2 years ago.

Progress.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
Thought all our (maligned at selection) ins (Dow , Owies, Parks) went OK.
I liked Dow's game until he was hurt (also liked SPS when he came on to replace him)

Owies' 3 goals justified his selection.

A significant moment in the game was Parks' tackle on Tippa.
I reckon that had a lifting effect on the side.

Walsh- Outstanding

Happy with the win.
One aspect I still think we're developing is the team -work and understanding.
Knowing where the team-mates are in the contest and backing up.
That will improve with a more settled line-up over a number of games....if we can achieve that.

Looking to next week.
Will that game take a physical toll?
McGovern looks likely to miss.
Dow is listed as an 'eye' rather than 'concussion' so may be OK to play.
The game may have been a little 'bruise free', except for some notable patches, which may leave a few pockets lighter.
But there was a fair bit of running so from that aspect it may have a physical effect next week.

Reply #21
Thought Parks showed some good signs but he had his problems with Harrison who outmarked and kicked goals on him.
Parks plays tall but we sold him a tough task playing on a 196cm player even if he is a kid.

Yeah Jones is going to be a very good player, but he is still very slight and shouldn't be able to fly for three marks inside 30 metres without any body contact.

Reply #22
I liked Dow's game until he was hurt (also liked SPS when he came on to replace him)

Owies' 3 goals justified his selection.

A significant moment in the game was Parks' tackle on Tippa.
I reckon that had a lifting effect on the side.

Walsh- Outstanding

Happy with the win.
One aspect I still think we're developing is the team -work and understanding.
Knowing where the team-mates are in the contest and backing up.
That will improve with a more settled line-up over a number of games....if we can achieve that.

Looking to next week.
Will that game take a physical toll?
McGovern looks likely to miss.
Dow is listed as an 'eye' rather than 'concussion' so may be OK to play.
The game may have been a little 'bruise free', except for some notable patches, which may leave a few pockets lighter.
But there was a fair bit of running so from that aspect it may have a physical effect next week.

Apparently no ice on the Guv left hammy post game.

We'll see...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
Yeah Jones is going to be a very good player, but he is still very slight and shouldn't be able to fly for three marks inside 30 metres without any body contact.

Parks too  ;D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
Apparently no ice on the Guv left hammy post game.

We'll see...

It happened so late, and he tried to run it off.  It may have simply been a cramp.

When your muscles cramp up and lock that can happen, and it may not necessarily be anything more than fatigue.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
Plowman is a worry, opposition playing through his man a lot and they're kicking a heap of goals on him. Panicking badly when caught one on one.
Please back it up Prof, or did you post this because it's harder to pot Murph when he's not in the side?
- how many times did they play through his man?
- how many goals were kicked by his man?

Reply #26
Dare I say that SPS coming onto the ground was when the game changed? His reading of the play on several occasions and clean hands with efficient disposal through the centre seemed to calm the team down.

Walsh was just tough, skilful and relentless. I wish he'd lower his eyes around goals though.

Owies was what we needed up forward, pressure and toughness from a small. Good return for a second gamer, who wasn't over awed by the big crowd.

Eddie was good, but played the same game as last week, he just kicked the goals this week.

McGovern was better and did present well, chased and competed. Loved the jumper punches, but now he's gone again.

Good to see Harry actually get some holding call for a change, happens every week, but I bet he doesn't get them against the Bulldogs. Another 5 to equal his year high tally and it's only round 7.

Cuningham was a difference maker in the middle, his movement and pace was something that Essendon did not handle well.

Saad and Docherty were very good, but there is little chemistry between them, unlike Simpson and Docherty who seemed to know where each other is at all times.

Jones lowered his colour for the first time this season and Weitering was guarding a decoy to closely. Plowman is always on a hiding to nothing. Tipper got two of his goals from running ahead of the play and hoping, Plowman was setting up in defence playing the percentages, they get a lucky win around the contest twice, the ball is kicked into space Tipper runs into an open goal. If Plowman stand right on him then the ball goes through the right space and we get opened up more often.

Parks, alright in the air, seems lost around a stoppage and very ordinary when the ball in on the ground. Poor kick as well, if we are thinking Parks is the answer, then we're in real trouble.

In fact we had; Parks, Owies, Gibbons, Cotteral, all playing this week, when our high draft picks are in the two's, yep sure these guys give effort, but they are just average players, add to the the other averages out there like Newnes and Casboult and this is why we are an average team.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room Cripps. He is a liability. He does not hunt the ball like he used to, Walsh now does that and what Cripps should be doing is blocking for Walsh and occasionally getting the ball. If we do not get the ball and the oppositin clear it we are playing one man down. As was happening a lot today, you wait til next week when the Dogs have their set up, with two quick handballs and then everyone scampers. Cripps cannot be played anywhere else, so that's why we don't have midfield rotations, that's why SPS and Stocker are playing down back, Setterfield and Kennedy are playing in the twos and other mids, like Ramsay will be lucky to get a look in. It's fortunate for Cuningham and Fogarty that Williams is injured or they wouldn't get much of a look either. For Carlton to blossom we have to get rid of Cripps.

Dow and McGovern out through injury, Newnes, Gibbons and Casboult should be out as well as they have been crap for weeks.

SPS for Dow, deKoning for Casboult, Philip for McGovern, Ramsay for Gibbons and Setterfield for Newnes. Start Setterfield/Cuningham at CHF and have him swap with Cripps after the centre bounce, that way Wood has to pick Cripps up rather than float as a spare against Harry. It won't happen but it should, David King has said it for a while now, we are being too nice at selection, a ruthless dropping of many may shock these under achievers into gear.

Reply #27
Apologies for messing his name up, was half right.. Jones it is..

Reply #28

Dow played 14 minutes, had 4 clearances (4th best for the side), 5 contested possession and 2 inside 50's.   You can probably cut that back to 10 minutes as he ran around with one eye for a bit.   It was a shame as he looked set for a good game.

Funny what happens when you play an inside mid as inside mid and not a half forward with bursts in the middle.  

Reply #29
That was a game we probably would have lost 2 years ago.

Progress.

And they were coming off a 'big' win.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!