Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat (Read 10758 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat

Reply #165
Just on the above....
We were hit harder because we finished last....and we had no way of getting better.
Couldn't use our early draft picks, stripped off us, including a priority pick which wasn't even part of the 'deal'.
Couldn't trade into the first round, so even if we had talented players other teams wanted, we couldn't trade them unless it was for unders.
At the time, the money was a big deal. It nearly broke us. We were broke. We had to sell our soul for 1mil to move away from PP.
Alternatively, Bombers had a war chest saved up and wrote a cheque and moved on.

Reply #166
I don't rate Heppell in that area

Never understood heppell.  He did exactly zip against us.  Even earlier in his career when he was in the guts, he’d get a little bit of it, but was never damaging.  A lot of nothing handballs and sideways kicks.  I don’t see him as overly skilful and not overly tough

Reply #167
Never understood heppell.  He did exactly zip against us.  Even earlier in his career when he was in the guts, he’d get a little bit of it, but was never damaging.  A lot of nothing handballs and sideways kicks.  I don’t see him as overly skilful and not overly tough
I think he has had some some serious injuries which have sapped him of his confidence, much like Doc.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #168
So the CheatsFC penalty was drafting three of the list that Ling now says are better than ours! ;)

Everything at CheatsFC going back to the start of the Sheedy era is smoke and mirrors, fans should realise that, because I'd assert in that history is the ultimate source of the crook CheatsFC culture, and guess who's back! :o

Sheedy was a master of smoke and mirrors.   There is a lot of discussion on here about the club selling hope (our kids are great, we are ready to launch, the coach is revolutionary),  sheedy was doing all this in the mid 80s, probably 20 years before other clubs were doing it.  I actually admire it.

He could spin any situation Essendons way and make anything into either a possitve Essendon story or create a rivalry, which would increase crowds.  He used the media to skew biases essendons way.

I remember in the late 80s, after the back to back, in a down time, he had the media bluffed that they had a new set of champions coming thru (look at our kids with 50games under their belt, 50 games is the key when they blossom), the media swallowed it, talked them up, and kept the heat off him and the club, didn’t mater that the kids in question were terrible (ed considine, come on down), he spun the media his way and they wrote what he wanted

Reply #169
Sheedy was a master of smoke and mirrors.  There is a lot of discussion on here about the club selling hope (our kids are great, we are ready to launch, the coach is revolutionary),  sheedy was doing all this in the mid 80s, probably 20 years before other clubs were doing it.  I actually admire it.
I too, it's why I argue for Carlton to have a stronger media presence, staying mum leaves you a victim of opportunity for a Sheedy or a McGuire.

What I don't like was when he loudly and publicly pointed the finger at Carlton, all the while CheatsFC behaved equally badly behind the scenes. In biblical terms Sheedy would have been the one unhesitant in casting the first stone, in Asian terms he has no face!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #170
Agree, thought he was a strange choice for captain too, not really a follow me into battle type leader...

Reply #171
Agree, thought he was a strange choice for captain too, not really a follow me into battle type leader...

He was injured for a protracted period and is still struggling to get back to his best.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #172
He was injured for a protracted period and is still struggling to get back to his best.
 Doubt he'll ever get those roid legs back, they made him unstoppable!
The Force Awakens!