Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat (Read 10751 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat

Reply #30
Dare I say that SPS coming onto the ground was when the game changed? His reading of the play on several occasions and clean hands with efficient disposal through the centre seemed to calm the team down.

Walsh was just tough, skilful and relentless. I wish he'd lower his eyes around goals though.

Owies was what we needed up forward, pressure and toughness from a small. Good return for a second gamer, who wasn't over awed by the big crowd.

Eddie was good, but played the same game as last week, he just kicked the goals this week.

McGovern was better and did present well, chased and competed. Loved the jumper punches, but now he's gone again.

Good to see Harry actually get some holding call for a change, happens every week, but I bet he doesn't get them against the Bulldogs. Another 5 to equal his year high tally and it's only round 7.

Cuningham was a difference maker in the middle, his movement and pace was something that Essendon did not handle well.

Saad and Docherty were very good, but there is little chemistry between them, unlike Simpson and Docherty who seemed to know where each other is at all times.

Jones lowered his colour for the first time this season and Weitering was guarding a decoy to closely. Plowman is always on a hiding to nothing. Tipper got two of his goals from running ahead of the play and hoping, Plowman was setting up in defence playing the percentages, they get a lucky win around the contest twice, the ball is kicked into space Tipper runs into an open goal. If Plowman stand right on him then the ball goes through the right space and we get opened up more often.

Parks, alright in the air, seems lost around a stoppage and very ordinary when the ball in on the ground. Poor kick as well, if we are thinking Parks is the answer, then we're in real trouble.

In fact we had; Parks, Owies, Gibbons, Cotteral, all playing this week, when our high draft picks are in the two's, yep sure these guys give effort, but they are just average players, add to the the other averages out there like Newnes and Casboult and this is why we are an average team.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room Cripps. He is a liability. He does not hunt the ball like he used to, Walsh now does that and what Cripps should be doing is blocking for Walsh and occasionally getting the ball. If we do not get the ball and the oppositin clear it we are playing one man down. As was happening a lot today, you wait til next week when the Dogs have their set up, with two quick handballs and then everyone scampers. Cripps cannot be played anywhere else, so that's why we don't have midfield rotations, that's why SPS and Stocker are playing down back, Setterfield and Kennedy are playing in the twos and other mids, like Ramsay will be lucky to get a look in. It's fortunate for Cuningham and Fogarty that Williams is injured or they wouldn't get much of a look either. For Carlton to blossom we have to get rid of Cripps.

Dow and McGovern out through injury, Newnes, Gibbons and Casboult should be out as well as they have been crap for weeks.

SPS for Dow, deKoning for Casboult, Philip for McGovern, Ramsay for Gibbons and Setterfield for Newnes. Start Setterfield/Cuningham at CHF and have him swap with Cripps after the centre bounce, that way Wood has to pick Cripps up rather than float as a spare against Harry. It won't happen but it should, David King has said it for a while now, we are being too nice at selection, a ruthless dropping of many may shock these under achievers into gear.

No Williams?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
I thought Jones was kept deeper today, probably to restrict his intercept marking and forward drive from the wing, hardly had a touch before 1/2 time.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #33
I thought that the melee fired Cripps up and although he shanked one kick,  was a lot better  from then on

Reply #35
Rumour is he has an achillies injury..
He had general soreness but regularly has issues with his Achilles. Missed all of 2019 with it.

Reply #36
Thought Parks showed some good signs but he had his problems with Harrison who outmarked and kicked goals on him.
Parks plays tall but we sold him a tough task playing on a 196cm player even if he is a kid.
I thought two of those times Parks had him covered only for Jones to come from nowhere trying to spoil and only succeed in knocking Parks out of the way or off balance.  Jones has a way of doing that to all our defenders!🙄

Reply #37
Raydan made the observation regarding SPS.  He was for the better part clean but still riled about the all too brief cameos and the lazy stuff, even today.

At least we kept the friggin' pill in our fwd half reasonably well

Reply #38
I will take that win. What I liked was the lesser lights had some impact and kept us in the game when we were struggling.

Still have a lot of outs and McGovern injury is the only low light imo. Can Walsh get any better. He is an out and out star who must be AA to this point.

Everyone knows I rate Cunningham highly and I hope supporters can now see why.  He is calm in traffic, smart user and a reliable around goal and has outside run we lacked. He will be one of our starting midfielders imo for the next 10 years and I just hope he had string a solid season without injuries.
Was very good today, no doubt he has talent. Its what he brings next week, the week after, the week after that, and so on  that counts. You dont get the nickname Cameo Cunners for no reason. Mind you, he has a few mates in that dept, no 5 for example who I will say was also very good today. Must have got the rocket he needed being dropped.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
Great win against a side in top form with 5-6 of our best 22 out

Walsh, Weitering, Saad, McKay, Owies (fantastic debut & what a saving tackle), Fogarty and even old Eddie Betts (I didn’t see that coming) were great

Our much maligned  recruits also didn’t look too bad! Dow started very well,  SPS showed why he should he played through the middle, Cunningham was electric and Stocker battled hard out of position.

Carried Cripps for most of the day, but it was nice too see him kick one on the run at the end.

On the negatives, Newnes, Casboult continue to struggle, McGovern’s journey has gone from bad to worse, but hopefully the cavalry is arriving with TDK, Silvagni, Martin & Williams expected to resume soon.

Nice to beat the bombers, go blues!

Word is Williams has a bad achilles and may miss more.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
He had general soreness but regularly has issues with his Achilles. Missed all of 2019 with it.
He seems to start games ok  but then tends to fade out, I'm no expert on achillies injuries but is fading out a symptom or maybe a pain killing jab wearing off with more running? Has been getting run down and tackled and lacking that zip to get away later in games too...

Reply #41
Harry equal leader of the Coleman.
One behind Tex
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Raydan made the observation regarding SPS.  He was for the better part clean but still riled about the all too brief cameos and the lazy stuff, even today.

At least we kept the friggin' pill in our fwd half reasonably well

SPS took a nice mark down back at an important time, thought that was a crucial time late  in the game so I gave him points for that.
Maybe he can be a professional medical sub if he can keep that up... :-X

Reply #43
Nice to have a win but not convinced yet, still making too many errors for my taste. Walsh an absolute star! Let’s see what happens next week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
Dare I say that SPS coming onto the ground was when the game changed? His reading of the play on several occasions and clean hands with efficient disposal through the centre seemed to calm the team down.

Walsh was just tough, skilful and relentless. I wish he'd lower his eyes around goals though.

Owies was what we needed up forward, pressure and toughness from a small. Good return for a second gamer, who wasn't over awed by the big crowd.

Eddie was good, but played the same game as last week, he just kicked the goals this week.

McGovern was better and did present well, chased and competed. Loved the jumper punches, but now he's gone again.

Good to see Harry actually get some holding call for a change, happens every week, but I bet he doesn't get them against the Bulldogs. Another 5 to equal his year high tally and it's only round 7.

Cuningham was a difference maker in the middle, his movement and pace was something that Essendon did not handle well.

Saad and Docherty were very good, but there is little chemistry between them, unlike Simpson and Docherty who seemed to know where each other is at all times.

Jones lowered his colour for the first time this season and Weitering was guarding a decoy to closely. Plowman is always on a hiding to nothing. Tipper got two of his goals from running ahead of the play and hoping, Plowman was setting up in defence playing the percentages, they get a lucky win around the contest twice, the ball is kicked into space Tipper runs into an open goal. If Plowman stand right on him then the ball goes through the right space and we get opened up more often.

Parks, alright in the air, seems lost around a stoppage and very ordinary when the ball in on the ground. Poor kick as well, if we are thinking Parks is the answer, then we're in real trouble.

In fact we had; Parks, Owies, Gibbons, Cotteral, all playing this week, when our high draft picks are in the two's, yep sure these guys give effort, but they are just average players, add to the the other averages out there like Newnes and Casboult and this is why we are an average team.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room Cripps. He is a liability. He does not hunt the ball like he used to, Walsh now does that and what Cripps should be doing is blocking for Walsh and occasionally getting the ball. If we do not get the ball and the oppositin clear it we are playing one man down. As was happening a lot today, you wait til next week when the Dogs have their set up, with two quick handballs and then everyone scampers. Cripps cannot be played anywhere else, so that's why we don't have midfield rotations, that's why SPS and Stocker are playing down back, Setterfield and Kennedy are playing in the twos and other mids, like Ramsay will be lucky to get a look in. It's fortunate for Cuningham and Fogarty that Williams is injured or they wouldn't get much of a look either. For Carlton to blossom we have to get rid of Cripps.

Dow and McGovern out through injury, Newnes, Gibbons and Casboult should be out as well as they have been crap for weeks.

SPS for Dow, deKoning for Casboult, Philip for McGovern, Ramsay for Gibbons and Setterfield for Newnes. Start Setterfield/Cuningham at CHF and have him swap with Cripps after the centre bounce, that way Wood has to pick Cripps up rather than float as a spare against Harry. It won't happen but it should, David King has said it for a while now, we are being too nice at selection, a ruthless dropping of many may shock these under achievers into gear.
Like all that except I reckon you're harsh of Parks, Owies, Gibbo and Cotts (although I thought Gibbo was ordinary today). I reckon there is plenty to work with with Parks and Cotts. Both are animals who love it tough and hard and they give as much as they get. I can't remember the last time I saw a Carlton player give it to a bloke who he pinged HTB, Parks did today and I loved it. Thats what intent looks like to me. Owies did very well in his first game of the year (kicked straight). So if these blokes keep others out of the side and we win, Im happy with that. What I won't be happy about is if they get dropped for names like Murph, ZW etc and we lose.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th