Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat (Read 10864 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat

Reply #75
I'm a fan of Newnes EB....but his last couple of weeks haven't been as good as some of his earlier games. They might see Setterfield as the replacement for him this week?
Having watched the VFL, I'd rather hold off and see how Newman goes 2nd week back before pulling that trigger!

For me Newman can push forward, but he's also a foundation defender, and can cover guys like Plowman or Parks without sacrificing somebody like SPS in D50. I'm not going to say he's match fit and ready, but he looked lean which will help.

Plus Newman brings a little bit of mongrel.
PS: Loved seeing Owies get in the oppositions face, not something I've pegged him for! Good to see McGovern getting some mongrel as well, pity about the hammy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
We have scope for improvement obviously. I'd roll the dice and play TDK and get rid of Levi who has been next to useless for some time. Gibbons has had plenty of chances also and although he dragged himself up from being just as useless as Levi I'd take another punt on someone from the two's like we did with Owies. Watched the reserves and there were a couple in there who could be considered. Maybe Honey? Kennedy was also playing well in the early game but they seemed to take him off for some time after the main break. Not sure he got back on. Very strange.
Think the next level down players like Newnes and Cottrell get to stay. Happy for Cunningham, I just hope he can follow up this week.
I'm guessing Murphy comes back in this week which is a shame.
Impressed with Parks and Stocker who just go at it hard.
Walsh, clearly best on ground. Ed was his usual reliable self. Backs did OK but a few times they just messed themselves up with indecision or competing against each other.
McKay I thought played really well. Not so much for his goal kicking but he actually bought the ball to the ground more than a couple of times when he had no chance of marking. Good progress by him I feel.
Eddie keeps doing enough to vindicate his selection. Maybe one more week and then a rest?
Cripps was diabolical for 3 quarters. Frustrating at times to watch, but here's some advice. When he FINALLY kicks a team lifting goal on the run from 50, DONT take him off FFS. Just stupid, stupid strategy. Hate it.
Kept waiting for a collapse in the last and got a bit anxious towards the end but we managed to keep going so kudos.

Reply #77
They wont drop Newnes, playing group love him...Kruds man is a bit of a fixture IMO.

Newnes is often overlooked because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. He often outperforms similar players (Kennedy, Setterfield) but gets no kudos.

That being said, his own output has been down slightly of late and we are getting some players back from injury.

Who would you pick? Cottrell, Newnes, Setterfield, Gibbons.

3 in the side currently. Probably lose 1 or 2 more from that group when we have a fit Newman, Martin, fisher, Williams, murphy....

Reply #78
Newnes is often overlooked because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. He often outperforms similar players (Kennedy, Setterfield) but gets no kudos.

That being said, his own output has been down slightly of late and we are getting some players back from injury.

Who would you pick? Cottrell, Newnes, Setterfield, Gibbons.

3 in the side currently. Probably lose 1 or 2 more from that group when we have a fit Newman, Martin, fisher, Williams, murphy....
sMurph is no guarantee to get a gig if Owies keeps hitting the scoreboard, but sMurph could be an in this week from Betts being a tad sore.

I think despite his better 2nd half, Gibbons has a bit of trouble coming. He needs to get back to his old winning the football ways, because he isn't a outside runner!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
I thought a lot of fans are being a bit tough on Plowman, they love to whip him. But he along with Parks had a tough gig at the weekend, they were the stay at home guarding 2 or 3 opponents while Jones and Weitering got up the field and intercept marked the footy. Fans have to learn that applauding Weltering or Jones for doing that role comes at a cost to other defenders who get sacrificed. Of course the opposition play through Plowman's or Park's man, because they have 2 or 3 to guard!

But one tell, that Owies tackle in the last, how long since we've seen a SF get to the FB to assist a defender, and what a difference it makes!
As Kenny once sang: You gotta know went to hold em, know when to fold em..."
Its fine for Jones and JW to push up for the intercept but if they mess it up, they leave their mates high and dry. The key to the modern game is how quick you react to what's going on at any point in time. I reckon sometimes, not all the time, the defenders are better off staying home and maintaining shape to defend and force a turnover rather than to attack for the intercept. Fwds and mids need to fold back to guard the middle plus space to then be ready when the turnover comes from defence. I think we are getting that balance wrong at times and are too aggressive. We wont die wondering that's for sure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Having watched the VFL, I'd rather hold off and see how Newman goes 2nd week back before pulling that trigger!

For me Newman can push forward, but he's also a foundation defender, and can cover guys like Plowman or Parks without sacrificing somebody like SPS in D50. I'm not going to say he's match fit and ready, but he looked lean which will help.

Plus Newman brings a little bit of mongrel.
PS: Loved seeing Owies get in the oppositions face, not something I've pegged him for! Good to see McGovern getting some mongrel as well, pity about the hammy.

And Parks, doesn't take a backward step the lad.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #81
Stocker to become a newer, shinier and slicker version of Joel Selwood in time.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82
Stocker to become a newer, shinier and slicker version of Joel Selwood in time.....
Talk about setting the kid up for failure!

Reply #83
And Parks, doesn't take a backward step the lad.
Yep, this is perhaps a not so obvious benefit of older recruits, ones who have spent a season or two in WAFL, SANFL and VFL. 
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84
We have to take the punt IMHO and play guys like SPS, Stocker, Cunningham through the middle....they are the future if they're up for it. Dickheads like Cornes are happy to write Ed Curnow off because "he won't be in the next premiership" but for mine, one of the first picked every week. Has always been able to play that run with tagger type, like he did yesterday, but can still find plenty of it himself. It was farcial trying to turn him into a small/mid sized forward a few years back.

Fingers crossed Williams isn't another long term injury.

Reply #85
Like the way Pittonet plays to instructions, hitting it to ground; just wish he'd make them more accurate to our guys as he missed two easy ones yesterday, and not just by inches.

Reply #86
I'm a fan of Newnes EB....but his last couple of weeks haven't been as good as some of his earlier games. They might see Setterfield as the replacement for him this week?
Surfie, I see Newnes as a value player, you get what you expect and he usually delivers a reasonable but unspectacular game(goal after the siren game excepted). 16 possies@75% DE, 3 tackles vs Essendon.
He often gets put on problem opposition players during games and has to sacrifice his own game so his stats suffer ie last week he was thrown back and was on Charlie Cameron at one stage. If I had Lachie Whitfield and Shai Bolton in the twos on the wing then he wouldnt be playing but at the moment he is better value than the players vying for his position.
The playing group also rate him for his physicality and willingness to support his teammates, co skipper Cripps is a big fan.
I see Cottrell, Gibbons, SPS and Dow as more vulnerable...

Reply #87
How good is it to have a small forward who has  the confidence and ability to kick accurately inside the 50 metre arc.  When Owies kicked his goals you could see the immediate positive effect it had on our other forwards.

What can be said about Levi? Well past his use by date and giving us nothing.

To me our major area of concern is still the poor delivery into the forward line.  In the second quarter in particular we spent so much energy for so little reward.  Until we improve we will be punished on the rebound by the top sides.

Reply #88

What can be said about Levi? Well past his use by date and giving us nothing.

To me our major area of concern is still the poor delivery into the forward line.  In the second quarter in particular we spent so much energy for so little reward.  Until we improve we will be punished on the rebound by the top sides.
Levi is just so horribly out of form its hard to not feel sorry for him, a loyal servant but...

I have tried to find an analogy to best describe what our fwd play looks like at times compared to the other mob when we play. I have come up with this, to me, it often looks like world class ballet choreography in the oppo fwd line and an ugly all in brawl in ours.

It was ok for enough times for us to score and win yesterday, but at times looked like the above.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
Levi is just so horribly out of form its hard to not feel sorry for him, a loyal servant but...

I have tried to find an analogy to best describe what our fwd play looks like at times compared to the other mob when we play. I have come up with this, to me, it often looks like world class ballet choreography in the oppo fwd line and an ugly all in brawl in ours.

It was ok for enough times for us to score and win yesterday, but at times looked like the above.
We often look like a Peter Garrett dance move down forward.....lot of arms and legs going in different ways but no clear pattern or method... :P