Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game prosecution: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 5888 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game prosecution: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #30
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/929160/-it-was-pretty-much-done-jones-opens-up-on-renaissance

Straight from the horse's mouth - Jones doesn't know who exactly made the decision to move him back, but he gives credit to Josh Fraser for making it work, and Dale Amos to a lesser extent.
Teague also praised Fraser in his presser the other day for Jonesy's move down back.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
I'm sure a few years back it came out that it was Paul Brodie who made the suggestion, of course he didn't make it happen, that was Fraser and I'm very sad Fraser is no longer associated with Carlton because anyone who been to a VFL game will tell you he's a A-Grade coach.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/929160/-it-was-pretty-much-done-jones-opens-up-on-renaissance

Straight from the horse's mouth - Jones doesn't know who exactly made the decision to move him back, but he gives credit to Josh Fraser for making it work, and Dale Amos to a lesser extent.

He is always extremely articulate and personable when interviewed.

Reply #33
I'm sure a few years back it came out that it was Paul Brodie who made the suggestion, of course he didn't make it happen, that was Fraser and I'm very sad Fraser is no longer associated with Carlton because anyone who been to a VFL game will tell you he's a A-Grade coach.

it was Brodie

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5274016/liam-jones-unlikely-comeback-comes-full-circle/

Early in the 2017 VFL season Jones, out of desperation, was thrown into the backline for the Northern Blues at the suggestion of Carlton recruiter Paul Brodie.

Reply #34
When are they going to post the bloody sides,  it's getting beyond joke
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
I listened to the whole podcast, and Jones didn't mention Brodie's name once. It's not a major issue, but I do prefer having the right information.

I thought you said  Jones didn't know exactly who was responsible...
Tell him it was Brodie ;)

Reply #38
I thought you said  Jones didn't know exactly who was responsible...
Tell him it was Brodie ;)

I did say that, because that's exactly what Jones said.

I'll pass on the message.  ;D

Reply #39
I did say that, because that's exactly what Jones said.

I'll pass on the message.  ;D

Lots of the articles are behind a paywall Paul.... but Google "Liam Jones and Paul Brodie" and the summaries indicate it was Brodie who first suggested  the idea, and the coaches gave it a try.

Reply #40
In fairness to Brodie, Fraser and Jones, there is a hell of a difference between the suggestion and the implementation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Lots of the articles are behind a paywall Paul.... but Google "Liam Jones and Paul Brodie" and the summaries indicate it was Brodie who first suggested  the idea, and the coaches gave it a try.

I don't know what to tell you Lods. Jones mentions plenty of people in that interview : Matthew Scarlett, Rodney Eade, Josh Bruce, Josh Fraser, Kade Simpson, Bolts, his parents, siblings, former team mates............I can't remember them all. Given that the interview was ostensibly a casual chat about his journey to 150 games, it would, IMO, be a significant oversight and / or slap in the face if he left out the one person who came up with the idea. He says he was stuck on 80 odd games and well on track to being delisted, before being moved back.

Reply #42
In fairness to Brodie, Fraser and Jones, there is a hell of a difference between the suggestion and the implementation.

Yes, notwithstanding all of the above, moving a failed forward to the backline is not exactly an earth shatteringly original idea - it seems to happen every season. Making the move a successful one is another matter entirely.

Reply #43
I find the the omission of SPS hard to believe!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Doggies  No Martín or English, that hurts their structure big time!!  Silvagni, Williams IN  SPS, Dow, McGovern out

Medical sub from DeKoning, SPS, Dow, Setterfield