Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 3: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats (Read 5630 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 3: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats

Reply #45
Would you describe Crocker as smart?

The one thing that we seem to lack is players with football intelligence.

We have guys that can play that do dumb things and we have guys that are so so in the playing stakes that do smart things.  Gibbons is one. 

If Crocker is one then if look hard at him for mid year.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
Can't wait to have Nic Newman back in the AFL team.

Reply #47

We have guys that can play that do dumb things and we have guys that are so so in the playing stakes that do smart things.  Gibbons is one. 

In my 20 mins of watching him play, yeah he’s got a bucketload of smarts.
BUT does he have the tricks to overcome our haphazard forward delivery AND the bigger, faster, stronger defender…?
That’s what will define him making it or not.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #49
Good to see Willo with a bit of dash, only blemish was a kick straight to an opponent.

Apart from seeing TDK back in action, the best thing I saw all match was Willo kicking with his right foot and not looking completely unco doing so.

Reply #50
Crocker is a very good VFL player. Not quite big enough to be a AFL player. Couldn't make it at Collingwood or Adelaide before us. Also I think we are more in need of another key defender rather than another key forward.
Newman was a big in for us. We have really missed him down back. The lesson for Willo is for him to back himself the next opportunity he gets in the AFL. Kennedy, Setterfield, TDK & O'Brien are all too good for VFL football. What they need to do is make the next step to AFL level. Honey and Ramsay are developing nicely and Durdin did some nice things. Considering we had eleven listed players not playing and Kennedy only played half a game, Essendon don't appear to have a lot of depth considering they got a goal before the match for a pretty soft free kick, and they got another after the ball had clearly gone out of bounds, so other than five minutes at the end of the first quarter and five minutes at the start of the third, there really wasn't a lot there. Carlton could have and should have won by a lot more but it was the same old problem we see at AFL level, poor disposal, poor decision making and poor finishing cost us a more sizeable victory.

Reply #51
If Owies can stay fit and in form that might keep Crocker out of our recruiting plans.

Reply #52
If Owies can stay fit and in form that might keep Crocker out of our recruiting plans.
It was interesting to hear O'Keefe a week or so back, he was talking on a footy radio show and basically alluding a good part of the success of Crocker, Wooler and Parson on the work ethic and running patterns of Owies, even though Owies himself wasn't having outstanding personal results.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Gibbons did lift in the 2nd half, very quiet in the 1st
Agreed, but like Pitto, against good teams that put a foot on your throat you don't get the luxury of making the second half hero comeback!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54

Top 3 attributes of crocker in no particular order.
Smart
Good disposal (including at goal)
Likes body contact

Those 3 alone are enough to give him a shot as it's 3 areas we lack.

Someone said owies could keep him out of the side, but that's a very short term view. Eddie will be gone and Fishers body keeps letting him down. Even still, I'd play all 3 up forward together. No team would have 3 small defenders capable of stopping them all at once.

Reply #55
Someone said owies could keep him out of the side, but that's a very short term view. Eddie will be gone and Fishers body keeps letting him down. Even still, I'd play all 3 up forward together. No team would have 3 small defenders capable of stopping them all at once.
I suspect the thing that will keep Crocker out is if we go with BigH, McGovern and Levi we'd be too slow if you add Crocker.

Could Crocker fill an undersized version of the McGovern role for a few weeks? Crocker does like a bit of argy-bargy, which is something we lack!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Is Crocker allowed to play in the AFL?

Reply #57
I suspect the thing that will keep Crocker out is if we go with BigH, McGovern and Levi we'd be too slow if you add Crocker.

Could Crocker fill an undersized version of the McGovern role for a few weeks? Crocker does like a bit of argy-bargy, which is something we lack!
Piss Levi off for starters. Tdk in.

Crocker doesn't need to be quick, he is smart. Kick it to him in a one on one contest, even along the ground, and you won't have to worry about him chasing his opponent because the ball will be going back to centre with the umpire.

Re slowness.....that was keeping Jack Silvagni out of the side for a while....then we realised Jack was smart enough to cover for lack of pace and we played him anyway. Same with Crocker.

That's our closest player to Crocker, Jack silvagni.

Reply #59
Nope.
We can draft him in the midseason draft though.
Then I would do it in a heartbeat and give him a game. Both games I've seen him play he was a cut above the rest