Skip to main content
Topic: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks (Read 9613 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

Reply #60
I find myself in two minds over the whole Tayla episode.

1. Her career as a boxer and AFLW player will be short lived, maybe another 4-7 years, so she has every right to do all she can to secure her long term financial future. Perfectly understandably.

2. However, and as harsh as this may sound, our club must manage its finances intelligently. No one is bigger than the club.

As difficult as it may be to wave her good-bye, and be strongly compensated, if it is to be... so be it.

She is an inspiration for women in sport, generally. I wish her the very best and to keep up her inspiration/role model ways. No matter what, her time at PP will always be well regarded, as it should be.

I think that Tayla, and athletes generally, have an obligation to themselves and their family, to make the most out of their generally short careers and, as far as possible, set themselves up for life after sport.  However, it may be that Tayla and her manager have priced her out of the AFLW.

In terms of what Tayla offers on the football field, LP's observation that she may be umpired out of the game seems to have a solid foundation.  Then there's the matter of the first generation of AFLW players being outclassed by youngsters who have grown up playing Aussie football and, as a result, having a limited career window.  Tayla is an excellent mark and, prior to THE photograph, was an excellent kick.  Her positioning, reading of the play, second efforts and playing the ball below her knees are not strengths and have been exploited by younger, more complete footballers.

Best of luck to her, I enjoyed her time in navy blue and I will follow her boxing career - one that I hope is successful but short.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
4 goals from 8 very ordinary games, give the extra coin to Vescio who actually won the league goal kicking. Perspective Tayla.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
She would probably do the AFLW more good if they dont pay her and she leaves the sport. 

Would highlight the inequities more.  Call me a cynic.

Just bumping this one for anyone who thinks she or aflw loses if she's lost to the game.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
Harfs statement on RSN regarding Tayla Harris:

"Tayla's skill set in AFLW is unique, the challenge for Tayla was to be able to do that week in, week in. From a list management perspective you've got to put a monetary value on that. Clearly we've been unable to make that work"

For that kind of money she would need to perform more than week in and week out - she would need to impose herself several times each quarter.  Give the money to Prespakis who tries to carry the team on her back.

Reply #64
For that kind of money she would need to perform more than week in and week out - she would need to impose herself several times each quarter.  Give the money to Prespakis who tries to carry the team on her back.

Well said, Ye Rat O' the River.

As I mentioned earlier, I get that she has something special (exceptional marketability) and has a very short time frame to make some good loot to help, significantly, her personal financial situation. I also get that she represents something that is inspirational to girls, young women and women of all ages.

BUT, I love what Harf said - spot on.

AND, to be totally selfish and look at it entirely from a CFC point of view... I am wrapped the club took the stance it did. As a player she seems to me to be exceptional in one area (one dimensional), and one area alone. When it comes to team contribution and significant 4 qtr contribution, as you rightly point out Ye Rat O' the River, Maddy P brings that without pause. Purely from a club viewpoint I would choose Maddy P., Darcy V., and a few others well before Tayla. I apologize if that sounds harsh to some.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #65
re Tayla's form....
Don't write her off based on this years form.
She was playing injured a lot and output was down on previous years.

She is a 2-time AA
2x leading goalkicker.
She won the QAWFL B+F as a 15yo.
She is still only 24.

I've got no issue with the stance the club has taken.

But write Tayla off at your own risk.

Reply #66
Yes, Erin Phillips style output earns you the big bickies.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
I will be sorry to see Tayla go, but we couldn't match what she was asking for without AFL help.
The issue I now have is simple: if another team can match what she wants, can they do it without AFL help? I doubt that greatly. And, if the AFL does provided money and opportunities, then why not to us?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #68
Well said, Ye Rat O' the River.

As I mentioned earlier, I get that she has something special (exceptional marketability) and has a very short time frame to make some good loot to help, significantly, her personal financial situation. I also get that she represents something that is inspirational to girls, young women and women of all ages.

BUT, I love what Harf said - spot on.

AND, to be totally selfish and look at it entirely from a CFC point of view... I am wrapped the club took the stance it did. As a player she seems to me to be exceptional in one area (one dimensional), and one area alone. When it comes to team contribution and significant 4 qtr contribution, as you rightly point out Ye Rat O' the River, Maddy P brings that without pause. Purely from a club viewpoint I would choose Maddy P., Darcy V., and a few others well before Tayla. I apologize if that sounds harsh to some.
If not for "that photo" and the publicity around it, she'd be just an AFLW player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69
It's about the marketing, that photo made her the biggest name in the sport.

When asked my wife could only name 5 AFLW players.

Tayla Harris
Darcy Vescio
Erin Phillips
Daisy Pearce
Moana Hope
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #70
Her manager is now trying to claim if Tayla doesn't get the deal she wants she will step out of AFLW for a year, basically even if that is free will it is a threat!

Tayla needs to sack her manager, whoever the manager is seems to be the problem!

Years ago there was an VFL/AFL manager who behaved like this, I can't recall his name but he basically ended up on the scrap heap because no club would deal with him! Had quite a few Carlton players in the 80s and 90s.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Her manager is now trying to claim if Tayla doesn't get the deal she wants she will step out of AFLW for a year, basically even if that is free will it is a threat!

Tayla needs to sack her manager, whoever the manager is seems to be the problem!

Years ago there was an VFL/AFL manager who behaved like this, I can't recall his name but he basically ended up on the scrap heap because no club would deal with him! Had quite a few Carlton players in the 80s and 90s.

She will achieve more for the pay agreements and sport if she does exactly that though LP.

Dont view this in respect of the mens pay agreements and deals.

View this in a different way.  If AFLW want to keep their stars that are being lured by other codes they must pay them accordingly or suffer the consequences.

Harris is in a win win situation here.  She either gets her pay day playing footy, or gets her pay day doing something else.

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
Harris is in a win win situation here.  She either gets her pay day playing footy, or gets her pay day doing something else.
I agree.

But that if true that exposes a contradiction in the Manager's claim that it is not just about the money, it also exposes that Tayla is possibly motivated by pay rather than wins or sport!

I don't think my perspective is overly negative, and can easily be derived or associated with the statements from the manager.

Is it a tad ironic to feel baited by the manager's statements, given Tayla's strong social media stance?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
David Allison.

He is a case study for those who believe in Karma.....he is now a quadriplegic after a car accident years ago.

Reply #74
I agree.

But that if true that exposes a contradiction in the Manager's claim that it is not just about the money, it also exposes that Tayla is possibly motivated by pay rather than wins or sport!

I don't think my perspective is overly negative, and can easily be derived or associated with the statements from the manager.

Is it a tad ironic to feel baited by the manager's statements, given Tayla's strong social media stance?

Its not solely about her wages though.  Its about pushing the womens game up....  In the favour of giving her more money or she walks to boxing...

Paul Hewson