Skip to main content
Topic: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks (Read 9483 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

Reply #75
I will be sorry to see Tayla go, but we couldn't match what she was asking for without AFL help.
The issue I now have is simple: if another team can match what she wants, can they do it without AFL help? I doubt that greatly. And, if the AFL does provided money and opportunities, then why not to us?

This is my biggest worry in the whole thing.

If the AFLW bow down and give her what they should re marketing the game, then i'd be spitting chips if i was in charge of our AFLW list.

I'd be seeking serious compensation.

Reply #76
This is my biggest worry in the whole thing.

If the AFLW bow down and give her what they should re marketing the game, then i'd be spitting chips if i was in charge of our AFLW list.

I'd be seeking serious compensation.

There's always the possibility that everyone will baulk at the asking price.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #77
There's always the possibility that everyone will baulk at the asking price.
As a club, funding that price off your own bat, yes they will.

That's where Eddie McGuire suggesting the afl step in has me worried, because if it gets to that, the afl probably will step in. At that stage she wouldve burned her bridge at Carlton so it benefits everyone else but us....and that's bs

Reply #78
That's where Eddie McGuire suggesting the afl step in has me worried, because if it gets to that, the afl probably will step in. At that stage she wouldve burned her bridge at Carlton so it benefits everyone else but us....and that's bs
It was going to be like this the moment Tayla's Manager opened their mouth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
It was going to be like this the moment Tayla's Manager opened their mouth!
No, the afl could've come out in support of her staying with us (privately) and ponied up the coin without it getting to this stage

Reply #80
No, the afl could've come out in support of her staying with us (privately) and ponied up the coin without it getting to this stage
That was never going to happen for us.

But the AFL will do it for an expansion club, which is why I suggest her manager has touted standing out for a season.

Dawks, Cheats, Port or Swans enter the comp in 2022 with Tayla as one of the star recruits, I suggest most likely the Swans! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
What like a back room deal?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
Well they have to get players from somewhere,  like the last round of expansion,  they pinched most of them for existing clubs.

This is a bone I'd like to pick with the likes of Daisy.... Where are the players going to come from Daisy?  The pool seems to have plateaued, certainly in my area, recruitment and numbers are a real issue.    What I believe is being covered up is how the AFLW is cannibalising other summer sports - I know that one U18 girl who will be drafted in the first couple is an absolutly elite cricketer, others are elite netballers and tennis players. Bet those sports are real happy about the AFLW summer season being expanded.  I just don't believe that the overall pool of girls playing sport is bigger now due to AFLW,  it's just shuffled the numbers around across different sports.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #83
What like a back room deal?
Not exactly.

When buddy was going to leave hawks to go to gws, the afl was going to throw plenty of money at him to do so.....like they did with izzy folau, and karmichel hunt.
Then buddy did the switchers at the last minute and on his 9 year deal the afl cracked it and said Swans must pay it all, even if he retires early.

The afl have the capacity to get players where they want them if they want them there at all.....remember how dusty was signed sealed and delivered at gws but then it somehow fell through and nobody knows why.....afl stepped in.

Reply #85
Have you heard some of the stuff in The Boy's Club by Michael Warner?
No I havent
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #86
I just read the Crows, Pies, and Bulldogs have confirmed they will not be pursuing Tayla. That phrase "the latest clubs" means others have already ruled themselves out. I wonder who.

https://womens.afl/news/72471

All eyes will be on the out-of-contract Tayla Harris, with Adelaide, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs the latest clubs to confirm to womens.afl they will not be pursuing the high-flying forward.

Reply #87
I just read the Crows, Pies, and Bulldogs have confirmed they will not be pursuing Tayla. That phrase "the latest clubs" means others have already ruled themselves out. I wonder who.

https://womens.afl/news/72471

All eyes will be on the out-of-contract Tayla Harris, with Adelaide, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs the latest clubs to confirm to womens.afl they will not be pursuing the high-flying forward.

Both the QLD clubs are included.

Also...Geelong, Fremantle, North Melbourne and Richmond

That leaves (as best as i can tell)
St. Kilda
Melbourne
West Coast
GWS

Reply #88
Both the QLD clubs are included.

Also...Geelong, Fremantle, North Melbourne and Richmond

That leaves (as best as i can tell)