Skip to main content
Topic: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks (Read 9266 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

Reply #92
Unfortunately for Tayla the earlier rumor regarding a pay cut seem to have turned out correct, down as much as 40% is being reported.

Hard to believe her management still have a job!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Pretty simple stuff... Don't perform,  don't appear committed.... Don't expect a good result.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #94
Pretty simple stuff... Don't perform,  don't appear committed.... Don't expect a good result.
Ditto for mens team
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
So i watched a doco on Tayla Harris - Kick Like A Girl. Its on Amazon.

An hour long doco that somehow seems to have more Brisbane and more Melbourne stuff than Carlton stuff, despite the fact she spent twice as long here as everywhere else combined, but so be it.

They certainly do talk about her time moving from Carlton though....but it is just her side of the story of course.

Important points....
1. The 150k rumour was complete BS.
2. Carlton didn't offer her a contract and when she found out, she broke down in tears.
3. She said she played her first season at Melbourne on the minimum, so she could earn the respect of her teammates.
4. She admitted her head and performance was not up to scratch in her last year with us, which was down to many things, but COVID and not being able to see her family, on the back of all the photo backlash was the main reasons. Which she fully owns up to.

Some things not mentioned...
- Rumour(s) of relationship issues with (former) coaches
- Any kind of backlash from the club in terms of her instagram / training session walkout
- Any feelings at all (good or bad) towards Half.

All in all, she admits it was a business decision and her performances were not up to scratch and she was shipped off as a result.
It cut her deep, especially around the 'reasons' for it (ie money) being completely inaccurate.

From a Carlton point of view, i wonder if it was a matter of...
1. Her performance was simply not good enough
2. We couldn't be bothered trying to get her right
3. She was a bad influence on the playing group or came across as not as committed to Football as she should've been
4. There were personal issues between her and coach(s) that could not be resolved.

or a combination of any/all of the above.

The only comments from Carlton were from Half, and Maddie P. Both relatively glowing.

Reply #96
Considering how many players we have had leave I don't think it's all her fault.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #97
Considering how many players we have had leave I don't think it's all her fault.

One of the discussions i've had on the topic is this, if players are not 100% committed to the cause, send them packing. I don't care if its Tayla Harris, Mitch Robinson or Brendan Fevola, no player is bigger than the jumper. I've been fans of all 3, but have also been in favour of sending them out the door.

Sure, there have been many others that have left. Is Half too harsh on them? If Half just trying to get a list together that is as committed as the girl beside them?!

I once got the opportunity to pose a question to half about his 'non-negotiables' from players. He gave 2, commitment and effort. "If you can't give me both of those, i've got no time for you."

Based on players leaving, it appears that quite a few of them failed that simple test. Clearly Harris was one.
Should/could the club do more to ensure players are in a better position to give proper commitment and effort.....possibly.

Reply #98
Harris had a good season with Melbourne, she was strong at the Lions. Her form slump was with us.

Prespakis, Davey all more than happy to leave.

If that was the mens side and McKay, Cripps and Walsh all wanted out, the coach gets the bullet.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #99
Harris had a good season with Melbourne, she was strong at the Lions. Her form slump was with us.

Prespakis, Davey all more than happy to leave.

If that was the mens side and McKay, Cripps and Walsh all wanted out, the coach gets the bullet.

She had 1 bad year with us and that was covered in the doco.

Reply #100
I'd really like to hear our side of the story.

The fact that most clubs passed on Tayla suggests there's substance to the many stories about how much she and her manager wanted. 

Tayla's manager, Alex Saundry, said at the time;

"Tayla is a three-time All-Australian and was Carlton’s leading goalkicker in three out of her four seasons at the club. She was forthcoming with the club about her disappointing season and was proactive in providing solutions to help her return to top form."

"While we are disappointed we haven’t reached a resolution with the club, Tayla’s future remains our priority and we will work through the appropriate next steps with consideration to her upcoming boxing bout in July."

Harf's comments are also revealing:

"It’s been a bit of a difficult negotiation clearly for this one for us and for Tay, because you’ve got to put it all together and make sure you’ve got your reward for all your players who deserve it through the journey and Tay’s had certainly some reward for her efforts through her campaign so far."

"I think the gap was too big. We haven’t been able to find common ground for the contract for Tay at the moment. So it’s in the interest of both parties to just see what you can get outside."

I think the reporting at the time was correct.  Tayla and her manager wanted more than the club thought she was worth.  She wasn't offered a contract because the asking price was too high.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #101
I'd really like to hear our side of the story.

The fact that most clubs passed on Tayla suggests there's substance to the many stories about how much she and her manager wanted. 

Tayla's manager, Alex Saundry, said at the time;

"Tayla is a three-time All-Australian and was Carlton’s leading goalkicker in three out of her four seasons at the club. She was forthcoming with the club about her disappointing season and was proactive in providing solutions to help her return to top form."

"While we are disappointed we haven’t reached a resolution with the club, Tayla’s future remains our priority and we will work through the appropriate next steps with consideration to her upcoming boxing bout in July."

Harf's comments are also revealing:

"It’s been a bit of a difficult negotiation clearly for this one for us and for Tay, because you’ve got to put it all together and make sure you’ve got your reward for all your players who deserve it through the journey and Tay’s had certainly some reward for her efforts through her campaign so far."

"I think the gap was too big. We haven’t been able to find common ground for the contract for Tay at the moment. So it’s in the interest of both parties to just see what you can get outside."

I think the reporting at the time was correct.  Tayla and her manager wanted more than the club thought she was worth.  She wasn't offered a contract because the asking price was too high.
Tayla tells it like she wanted to stay at carlton, but they never offered her a contract. Carlton were unhappy with her form and had been telling her throughout the year (and possibly her commitment or lack of).
She chose to touch base with Melbourne who were under the impression that she wouldn't leave, but would monitor the situation as she is too good to ignore. When it fell through, they made it happen. She played for minimum.

Reading between the lines, we didn't offer her a contract because we thought she was too much hard work/divisive and not worth the money she was already on. Probably didn't think it was even worth offering her minimum and chose to part ways.

Where the money comes into it it could come form a throwaway line like 'she is worth 150k' rather than she wants/deserves 150k. I said at the time that there was simply no scope for her to be paid that much, basically there is a maximum amount that is possibly which is less than half that....so that number was never accurate.

When half talks about gap, I don't think it's money, but rather commitment to the club  and her training.

When her manager talks about Tayla, it includes talk about her boxing, which backs up half worried about her commitment.

Tayla had issues with covid life and it affected her playing output. She is not alone in that and Eddie betts has said similar....and the club saw fit to part ways with him too.

Reply #102
I should say the doco is called - Kick like Tayla
Not kick like a girl, that was her foundation.

Reply #103
Glad to see the back of her.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #104
I thought at the time and still do that Harf was very diplomatic and also appeared very disappointed when the events occurred, he could have and would have been within his rights to expose the shenanigans but he didn't, he basically looked after her by being very reserved and respectful in his comments. Which seems to fit with the idea she was suffering through the COVID lockdown. Just after that interview I heard some interviews with Harrington, Vescio and a couple of others, and they chose the higher ground and said very little, that also suggests a duty of care.

It might be a bit silly for Tayla and / or her manager to rewrite history now, it could easily come back to bite her, it exhibits a bit of immaturity.

Personally, and I think I have mentioned this at least once before, I think from a management perspective she has been very poorly advised.
The Force Awakens!