Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 trade and draft period - DRAFT NIGHT (Read 7250 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2021 trade and draft period - DRAFT NIGHT

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-trade-news-2021-afl-womens-trade-wrap-contracts-tayla-harris-darcy-vescio-chloe-molloy-olivia-purcell-news/news-story/625aee24f569218b34d3fc9e00ae152f
GWS on-baller Jess Dal Pos received interest from Geelong but is more likely to end up at Carlton. Her reasons for leaving the Giants are more to do with the fact she’s about to finish at paramedics course than anything football related.
Yes please.

Blues forward Vescio was courted by St Kilda and Geelong but has agreed to terms on a deal that will keep her at Ikon Park for another two years, her agent Alex Saundry confirmed to Foxfooty.com.au on Thursday.
Thank f*** for that!

The same applies to Jess Hosking and Carlton, who are both keen to remain together but are yet to come to a financial agreement.
This will get worked out soon enough.

Carlton’s Tayla Harris looms as the big news story of the trade period. The Blues won’t say it publicly, but they would entertain offers from other clubs for the 24-year-old. It’s understood Harris would prefer to stay at Carlton but there is little doubt the relationship between her and the club has deteriorated after Foxfooty.com.au revealed she left training early to post an Instagram photo one night.

Sources say it’s not irreconcilable, but will take some serious work for Harris to remain at Ikon Park in 2022.
Either get to work signing her, or get to work trying to pry out the biggest fish you can find from another club ASAP.

Re: AFLW 2021 trade and draft period

Reply #1

Reply #2
Still looks like Jess Dal Pos will come to us from GWS.

Loynes will get another gig at GWS.

Downie a potential option for the pies.

No word on Edwards yet, and TBH i'm not expecting anything.

Reply #3
Still looks like Jess Dal Pos will come to us from GWS.

Loynes will get another gig at GWS.

Downie a potential option for the pies.

No word on Edwards yet, and TBH i'm not expecting anything.
I am surprised that Downie and Loynes are wanting to go around again, but ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
I am surprised that Downie and Loynes are wanting to go around again, but ...

They were both in good form and are durable athletes.  Why not give it another crack?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
They were both in good form and are durable athletes.  Why not give it another crack?

Good form is questionable.

They were definitely down on previous years output and both had shockers early on....did play better at the tail end but the time was definitely right for them to go....well....not be offered contracts.

Reply #6
So the trade period opened at midday today, with not much happening.

I heard an interesting thought at the weekend, maybe we are leaving Tayla hanging to see what shakes loose, a bit like staying quiet on Cripps contract to see who opposition offered up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
So the trade period opened at midday today, with not much happening.

I heard an interesting thought at the weekend, maybe we are leaving Tayla hanging to see what shakes loose, a bit like staying quiet on Cripps contract to see who opposition offered up!

I doubt it.

Tayla appears to have burned her bridges.

The options appear to be that
1. Another club ponies up the money she wants (keep in mind that 9 clubs have already said they are out, leaving only 4 left)
2. She sits out the year.
3. She comes crawling back tail between her legs.

My money is on #2.....then #1.......then daylight before #3.

Reply #8

My money is on #2.....then #1.......then daylight before #3.
I've heard two other clubs are now out as of today.

A friend's son was a AFL recruiting / list manager before COVID, but was made redundant and returned to teaching. However, he now runs a women's comp for the local league and is getting side gigs from AFL clubs asking for reports of potential AFLW recruits. His old man told me they think it's highly likely Tayla will re-join the competition, either now or later, on less than she was getting before. For two reasons, her manager has done her no favours, and secondly post COVID the club's just don't have the money to throw about!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I like Tayla. I think she has been good for Carlton and good for the AFLW. My initial thoughts about this whole saga were more benevolent, but as time has gone on, I can't help but feel that Tayla's position in this space is a misstep.

Fans, marketers and sponsors have short memories and can be very fickle. If she sits out the next 12 months to focus on boxing, she may find her AFLW marketability to be significantly diminished or gone altogether when she returns. There may be a new Tayla, she may get injured in boxing etc.

Reply #10
I've heard two other clubs are now out as of today.

A friend's son was a AFL recruiting / list manager before COVID, but was made redundant and returned to teaching. However, he now runs a women's comp for the local league and is getting side gigs from AFL clubs asking for reports of potential AFLW recruits. His old man told me they think it's highly likely Tayla will re-join the competition, either now or later, on less than she was getting before. For two reasons, her manager has done her no favours, and secondly post COVID the club's just don't have the money to throw about!

2 other clubs are out as of today? Which clubs??

9 clubs had ALREADY ruled out chasing Tayla. There was only the following 4 clubs left....
St. Kilda
Melbourne
West Coast
GWS

So which ones did you hear?

Reply #11
I like Tayla. I think she has been good for Carlton and good for the AFLW. My initial thoughts about this whole saga were more benevolent, but as time has gone on, I can't help but feel that Tayla's position in this space is a misstep.

Fans, marketers and sponsors have short memories and can be very fickle. If she sits out the next 12 months to focus on boxing, she may find her AFLW marketability to be significantly diminished or gone altogether when she returns. There may be a new Tayla, she may get injured in boxing etc.

I agree but she will do more for the wage parity argument and the overall competition by "falling on her sword" so to speak.

In the scheme of things, she really is asking for what appears to be fair value for a premier player in that competition.

Where it falls over, is that she is asking for Buddy type money for not buddy like performance on game day.

Contrast this with Cripps.  He was and should likely receive a Mozza for the type of player he is capable of being, but look what just 1 season of so-so form has done to him.  Last season he wasnt great, but he was still up there in terms of the games best mids.  This season the wheels have fallen off thus far, limiting his contract price. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
2 other clubs are out as of today? Which clubs??

9 clubs had ALREADY ruled out chasing Tayla. There was only the following 4 clubs left....
St. Kilda
Melbourne
West Coast
GWS

So which ones did you hear?
I'd heard GWS and West Coast were already out, and the Dockers ruled themselves out formerly today, but this afternoon there are rumours the Crows want back in if the price is right! Apparently that leaves 10 out with 3 clubs (one the Crows, I presume Melb and Aints are the others) plus Carlton remaining.

Either way, it sounds like she'll have to settle to keep playing in AFLW, so her manager has done wrong by her she needs a new one!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
I'd heard GWS and West Coast were already out, and the Dockers ruled themselves out formerly today, but this afternoon there are rumours the Crows want back in if the price is right! Apparently that leaves 10 out with 3 clubs (one the Crows, I presume Melb and Aints are the others) plus Carlton remaining.

Either way, it sounds like she'll have to settle to keep playing in AFLW, so her manager has done wrong by her she needs a new one!
There was talk that Freo were out today, but that was reported last week.

Carlton are pretty much out of the running too.

There is more chance of Harris not being in the AFLW next year, than being in a Blues jumper.

Reply #14
There was talk that Freo were out today, but that was reported last week.

Carlton are pretty much out of the running too.

There is more chance of Harris not being in the AFLW next year, than being in a Blues jumper.
 Tell her to sack her manager and come back to the fold, it's the face saving way out of this mess!
The Force Awakens!