Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs the Footscray (Read 2118 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs the Footscray

Backs:  Ryley Stoddart Stefan Radovanovic  Cody Hirst
Half-backs:  Nic Newman Tom Williamson Sam Petresvki-Seton
Centreline: Lochie O'Brien  Will Setterfield Sam Ramsay
Half-forwards: Jack Carroll  Toby Wooller  Josh Honey
Forwards:  Ben Caluzzi  Ben Crocker  Corey Durdin
Followers:  Tom De Koning   Paddy Dow   Matt Kennedy
Interchange:  James Parsons   Cooper Stephens   Ed Delaney  Matt Shannon       
Emergency:   Tom North   Lachlan Gawel

I look at this team and I think as I have for every game this season: where are out talls? Tom de Koning is the only ruck. Yet, Kennedy is named as a rover!
There are positives about this team, but the lack of taller options sticks out like a sore thumb.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs the Footscray

Reply #1
No Philp? injured?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
I look at this team and I think as I have for every game this season: where are out talls? Tom de Koning is the only ruck. Yet, Kennedy is named as a rover!
There are positives about this team, but the lack of taller options sticks out like a sore thumb.

Lack of options I guess although one of Gundry or Mirkov would make a difference.  Gundry in Under 23s match and Mirkov don't know about.  They have Delaney on the bench who is a KPU/Ruck and could perhaps be slotted in down back to give us at least one genuine tall down there.  He or Wooller can provide the chop out for TDK.  Pretty clear from that lineup TDK won't be the injury sub for the ones.  On that basis we lose one of the mids Setter/Dow/SPS to that role.

The Dogs have named both Scahche and Ugle-Hagan up forward and unlikely JUH will be the injury sub so expect we will never to cover 2 tall forwards with effectively zero tall defenders.  Delaney could take one, perhaps Wooller gets played back but then zero talls in the forward line.  Ben Silvagni did a job on JUH last week aided by double-teaming perhaps that is what we need to do.

Radovanovic  is as far as I am aware purely a defender but I wonder whether it would be worth seeing how he would go up forward if we had to play Wooller and Delaney back?  Might be a bust but one of the advantages of running our own VFL team is we can trial this sort of thing.

Notice that they have ex-Blue Jesse Glass-McCasker at FB.  He v Wooller would be an interesting athletic matchup.

Reply #3
FOOTSCRAY    2.2     5.6     7.10      11.11 (77)
CARLTON          0.4     1.6     2.10      8.11 (59)

GOALS
Carlton: Crocker 4, Honey 2, Kennedy, Parsons

BEST
Carlton: Radovanovic, Durdin, Honey, Willliamson, Newman, De Koning
No Wooller for the 2nd half, apparently. Radovanovic being best suggests that he gave Ugle Hagan a touch up. I'll look at the game later, before I scrub it. I only keep wins.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Ugle-Hagan subbed-out early due to head knock.

De Koning was pretty impressive.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Ugle-Hagan subbed-out early due to head knock.

De Koning was pretty impressive.
Tom de Koning must be back for next week. He offers too much to the team. Pitto tries his guts out week in, week out, but he is a limited player.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Tom de Koning must be back for next week. He offers too much to the team. Pitto tries his guts out week in, week out, but he is a limited player.
I'd let TDK take Casboults place, not Pittonets.

Good to see Crocker with another lazy 4 goals.

Reply #7
Good to see Crocker with another lazy 4 goals.
Yes, but he is a cat and I think he wasn't as impressive this week. Not sure if he could get away with it at AFL level.

Reply #8
I thought meat did OK around the ground, but I concede Pittonet is safe for now.

Not sure Pittonet or De Koning give us what Meat does though, Meat was OK on those exit D50 marking attempts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
First time I've been able to see the game on the TV.
[1] Western Oval, the only place where the little breeze becomes a gale. Very difficult to kick goals at that place.
[2] Footscray had SO much more experience than we did. So much so that we did very well.
[3] Their players appear to have a better attack on the ball than ours. We do not have the kamikaze attack on the ball that wins game. Something the seniors have issues with as well.
[4] Setters is just not desperate enough.
[5] O'Brien is toast. Doesn't get where the ball is.
[6] Our team really needs some height. The Dogs had a lot more talls than we did.
[7] We need a different midfield coach. Badly.
[8] Crocker probably needs to get promoted. Even though he couldn't get the goals early. Crocker had 3 points in the first quarter.
[9] I like Parsons, but is just that bit too slow! He had some very good pick-ups today, but got caught too much.
[10] Radovanovic was BOG? He had a shocker early. Everything he touched turned to crap.
[11] Tom de Koning is ready for next week. His work in the ruck and around the ground was very good.
[12] Willo was actually pretty good, but his disposal let him down.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
[1] Durdin didn't get a touch in the first quarter, but showed something afterwards.
[2] We had so many inside 50's for no reward. The first 10 of the 2nd quarter, for no goals. Why? Nobody down there to take a contested mark and wouldn't drop our eyes.
[3] Kennedy had a shocker. Just couldn't get the ball.
[4] Cooper Stephens reminds me of Nick Duigan the way he kicks and runs.
[5] Cody Weightman can't get a run for the Dogs: how? I've always been impressed.
[6] Honey is good when he gets near the pill. But he doesn't get it enough. His goals were very nice.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
[1] 1 goal 10 was match-losing football. Simple as that.
[2] Kennedy was better later, but he still disappointed me this game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Carlton Reserves v Western Bulldogs Review | By Paul Sebastiani

https://youtu.be/jkE8a3wfbHM

Reply #13
Thanks SPF.  It's good to get a decent review of our reserves current form.

Reply #14
Thanks SPF.  It's good to get a decent review of our reserves current form.

The coach's assessment on the CFC web site is quite different.

Reckons Willo did a great job etc....

Odd.
Finals, then 4 in a row!