Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs the Footscray (Read 2060 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs the Footscray

Reply #15
The coach's assessment on the CFC web site is quite different.

Reckons Willo did a great job etc....

Odd.
Whoever he is he's watched a very different game to me!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
What I do like about the coach's assessment is that he does accentuate a few things players need to work on (eg something like LOB runs round like a headless chook), which helps give us an idea as to why they aren't in the ones.

Reply #17
Whoever he is he's watched a very different game to me!
I thought Willo wasn't bad at all. His direct opponents barely touched it. His disposal, however, was not always great. I remember seeing him take the play on, get the pill and burst down the grown. It was excellent play, but the kick didn't hit the target, and went back straight over his head to Ugle-Hagan for his only kick and goal.
It was brilliant from him, but that single metre was the difference between us having a shot for goal and the Dogs getting one.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
I thought Willo wasn't bad at all. His direct opponents barely touched it. His disposal, however, was not always great. I remember seeing him take the play on, get the pill and burst down the grown. It was excellent play, but the kick didn't hit the target, and went back straight over his head to Ugle-Hagan for his only kick and goal.
It was brilliant from him, but that single metre was the difference between us having a shot for goal and the Dogs getting one.
We'd be accused of watching through rose coloured glasses, but perhaps it's the alternate and the other critic has crap in his eye!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Whats happened to Willo? Was a lethal left footer who could run all day, it seems after a few years in our system...well you know the story.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Whats happened to Willo? Was a lethal left footer who could run all day, it seems after a few years in our system...well you know the story.

Not so sure about lethal left foot. We didn't see too much of him initially, so perhaps the good kicks you remember to give him the title lethal were the exception not the rule.

I've been questioning him for a while and my comparisons to Paul Bower got laughed off.
Now, Bower had some very good attributes, he was CHB in U18 AA side, but he also had some questionable traits that made it hard to love him. This is what i see in Willo. Plenty of run, dash and athleticism, with dodgy decision making/disposal skills.....and neither of them can handball in a conventional manner.

As an 18yo, you love seeing some of those things. As a 20-whatever-yo, you can't put up with them week in week out.
I don't think Willo has gotten any worse, i just don't think he has improved. You need to improve on what you do as a n00b coming into the system....and i don't see that.

Reply #21
Williamson has come back from injury a changed player, poor decision making, foot skills have disappeared and his lack of a right side in his play is more apparent. The reality is he is a delist or rookie case at best and he has lost his position to Parks.
Any comparison with Bower is probably the final nail in Williamson's career with us, Bower was a lunatic with ball in hand, never have I seen a player who could find trouble so easily after being in clear space...

Reply #22
Not so sure about lethal left foot. We didn't see too much of him initially, so perhaps the good kicks you remember to give him the title lethal were the exception not the rule.

I've been questioning him for a while and my comparisons to Paul Bower got laughed off.
Now, Bower had some very good attributes, he was CHB in U18 AA side, but he also had some questionable traits that made it hard to love him. This is what i see in Willo. Plenty of run, dash and athleticism, with dodgy decision making/disposal skills.....and neither of them can handball in a conventional manner.

As an 18yo, you love seeing some of those things. As a 20-whatever-yo, you can't put up with them week in week out.
I don't think Willo has gotten any worse, i just don't think he has improved. You need to improve on what you do as a n00b coming into the system....and i don't see that.
As a junior the left was lethal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time