Skip to main content
Topic: The Defence (Read 5632 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Defence

Reply #45
Let's cut out the personal abuse guys. Thanks.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Good rucks do not tap blindly or predictably to a predetermined space, they take not of what is happening around them and adjust accordingly.

But even so, regardless of Pittonet's shortcomings it might not be 100% his fault, who is the stoppage coach?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Pittonet started ok today but just got worn down as he tired vs a very good and tall opponent in Gawn whose ruckwork after half time was a factor IMO. Doesnt mean Pittonet was bad, its just hard vs a very good opponent when you dont have any decent backup and the conditions make it harder again.

Reply #48
Pittonet started ok today but just got worn down as he tired vs a very good and tall opponent in Gawn whose ruckwork after half time was a factor IMO. Doesnt mean Pittonet was bad, its just hard vs a very good opponent when you dont have any decent backup and the conditions make it harder again.
We, the MC, basically left Gawn roving half the contests even when he didn't compete, Pittonet and Levi couldn't keep up with him. Pittonet was caught in no-mans land a dozen times when his team-mates depended on him having an influence in the marking contest.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Good rucks do not tap blindly or predictably to a predetermined space, they take not of what is happening around them and adjust accordingly.

But even so, regardless of Pittonet's shortcomings it might not be 100% his fault, who is the stoppage coach?

Sheedy must be paying Barker's salary, to deliberately keep us near the bottom lol. You know LIddle can't resist a freebie.  8)

Reply #50
Sheedy must be paying Barker's salary, to deliberately keep us near the bottom lol. You know LIddle can't resist a freebie.  8)
Maybe the resident Pavlov's Dog (Trained to lose) is Barker?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Maybe the resident Pavlov's Dog (Trained to lose) is Barker?

Maybe. Stanton might be a Sheedy plant as well.  8)

I'm sure we could find upgrades on both Barker and Stanton. But I think, in all honesty, what we need more than anything is stability and unity over the short to medium term.

Reply #52
Maybe. Stanton might be a Sheedy plant as well.  8)

I'm sure we could find upgrades on both Barker and Stanton. But I think, in all honesty, what we need more than anything is stability and unity over the short to medium term.
Barker has been there through 3 senior coaches, one might be bad luck!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Barker has been there through 3 senior coaches, one might be bad luck!

Not the stability of one assistant coach - stability of the entire club, and most certainly stability and continuity of the football department.

Reply #54
@PaulP‍ Some of our MC must have shares in Cluedo!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
So all we need to do is get Bolts back as an assistant coach to fix the defence and Bob's you're uncle.

AFL: Carlton coach David Teague says Blues’ defence is team’s biggest issue
Carlton faces another year of missed finals and the fans are well and truly fed up. But what has really brought the club down this year?
Jay Clark

Carlton coach David Teague has pinpointed his team’s defensive let-downs as its greatest failing as another finals series looks to go begging.

Carlton has slipped to 13th on the ladder with a 4-7 record after, on Sunday, conceding 100 points to the opposition for the sixth time this season in the 22-point loss to Sydney Swans.

The Blues meet West Coast in Sydney this round and have already been told they will be able to return home to Victoria immediately after the game to spend their bye break in Melbourne.

Carlton needs a dramatic turnaround in form over the next month or its finals drought will continue into an eighth year (2013).

Teague has repeatedly made clear he wants the Blues to be an offensively potent team since he took over from Brendon Bolton. But it is their inability to restrict the opposition at the other end which has cruelled their ambitions in 2021.

“Particularly from an offensive point of view, we are scoring more than average, but defensively we are allowing too many scores,” Teague said on Fox Footy.

“And some of those scores are just too easy.

“Some efforts we have addressed over the past few weeks haven’t been good enough, particularly when you are wearing the navy blue jumper.”

The Blues were open about their desire to climb back into the eight this season, especially after loading up at the trade table on Essendon’s Adam Saad, Giant Zac Williams and Geelong small forward Lachie Fogarty.

It came after splashing big money on key forward Mitch McGovern from Adelaide but it is a deal that is yet to pay dividends for the Blues, amid a frustrating run of injuries.

Teague said the club’s current predicament was hurting the players as they weren’t able to play their way for long enough in games.

“There is a level of frustration, particularly from the playing group, that we are probably showing for periods of games that we can be competitive, but we are not doing it for four quarters,” Teague said.

“We are not doing it for 120 minutes and when we don’t we are getting hurt on the scoreboard.

“It’s the ‘how’ that is probably the bit (we need to fix), we have got to go on to it.”

There is pressure on Teague to deliver the club to a finals campaign with speculation Carlton is targeting Fremantle midfielder Adam Cerra to round out the midfield brigade.

Carlton continues to remain optimistic Charlie Curnow will return from a horrible run of knee injuries in Round 16 or 17 but Teague said a firm time frame had not been set.

Blues’ great Marc Murphy was made the injury substitute on Sunday but had little impact, gathering five possessions.

“We also want to bring players in that are performing well and add to the team and understand and can execute their role,” he said.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
So all we need to do is get Bolts back as an assistant coach to fix the defence and Bob's you're uncle.

You know the funny thing about all that, i remember a press conference where Bolton basically said he was at a loss on how to fix the disconnect between mids and forwards. He said he'd lock the assistant coaches in a room to sort it out.

The next week we won.

Teague was the forwards coach at the time.

Teague solved Boltons problem.......for a week at least.

Reply #57
We have a lot of deja vu games where the same opposition player cuts us up and we seem to be slow learners.
The Heeney matchup was vital and went a long way to costing us the game.....3  Brownlow votes last game and it will be ditto this season.
Have a plan A and a plan B......do something different when its not working, work out before the game that Heeney and Hayward are very strong in the air and get the matchups right. You pick a backline to suit the opposition and that might change each week and you need a group of defenders not just a set six to be able to handle different opposition setups. Jones and Weitering cant be everywhere saving the day......

Reply #58
You know the funny thing about all that, i remember a press conference where Bolton basically said he was at a loss on how to fix the disconnect between mids and forwards. He said he'd lock the assistant coaches in a room to sort it out.

The next week we won.

Teague was the forwards coach at the time.

Teague solved Boltons problem.......for a week at least.
I thought similar but different at the time of his sacking, our fwd line at the time was shambolic, who was the fwd line coach? None other than Mr D Teague. I think I wrote at the time that IMO, some assistants are at clubs just waiting for the opportunity to sit in the big chair. One in that position could almost manufacture such an opportunity for himself. I mean what does it say about you when your line is the worst performing?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
I thought similar but different at the time of his sacking, our fwd line at the time was shambolic, who was the fwd line coach? None other than Mr D Teague. I think I wrote at the time that IMO, some assistants are at clubs just waiting for the opportunity to sit in the big chair. One in that position could almost manufacture such an opportunity for himself. I mean what does it say about you when your line is the worst performing?
Same scenario, different thought process.

Bolton, IMO, was NOT listening to his assistants enough.
When he left it to them, we won.
When one of them took over, we won.
We instantly became a better side, and continue to be a better side.
So to me, thats on Bolton, not Teague tanking.
Pretty sure Bolton was struggling before Teague came on board too IIRC.