Skip to main content
Topic: The Defence (Read 5464 times) previous topic - next topic

The Defence

Some damning vision on Fox the other night, Doc and Jonesy not doing the basics. It's good to play high scoring footy but the defensive structures need to be able to support that and the defenders need to be switched on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btbqn7l2v6U&t=544s

Premierships are built of rock solid defences, we need to address this pronto.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: The Defence

Reply #1
They like potting us, today they are potting Teague for denying the Cripps injury.

I've said before, the more they pot us the closer we are, most in the media seriously hate us because they blame the lack of success during their own playing career on our TPP violations!

btw., I think the problem is still more about our mids not defending, the Melbourne example they show proved that, the Dees had 9 in D50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
We just need to put Liam Jones' head on a swivel, and we'll be right lol.

Reply #3
We just need to put Liam Jones' head on a swivel, and we'll be right lol.
What Jones did was wrong, whether that is through ignorance or design, but that is clearly not the issue, we have less numbers in D50 than the opposition. The lack of urgency in particular from both Doc and Jones.

But you could argue that Jones may been instructed not to be dragged back to the square eliminating his intercept marking, so are the comments from Lyon and Healy deliberately naivé just to stir the pot?

I fear this is again Barker's mates helping him dodge a bullet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Ive just watched the footage. 

Jones 100% gets "sucked into" the contest.  Its not design, we don't want him doing that.  Had it been a small id say we wanted that to occur to stop the easy out.  Still Jones saw something that made him head that way and a backline general should be directing traffic and telling him to stay on his man (which might be the problem as he didn't have his opponent he had a small).  The fact Lipinski is the loose one actually means he has cheated, because Jones is probably searching for his direct opponent.

The docherty footage is different.  I think this is design.  Sure make him charge back, but I think the idea is to try and make someone accountable for him with the only problem being we didn't get our hands on the footy.  Maybe he misread the situation and could have done more to fix it, but I heard a spot on the radio regarding a stoppage and how Geelong beat Richmond on Friday and it discussed Mitch Duncan's positioning at a defensive contest and how he chose to line up attacking side of it because the Tigers want you to defend and this is a weak spot if you make them do it.  The bulldogs aren't dissimilar.  Make them defend and they'll struggle a bit. 

For the plowman bashers keep an eye on how these plays both unfold.  You'll notice he's stuck covering two men by himself in both circumstances.   It happens a lot and thats why the opposition score through his man frequently.   Its not because he's crap, its because he's covering too many. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
The end of the footy told the story better of why we lost to the bulldogs.  We had Judd once.  Would win games by himself against opposition frequently irrespective of how good they were.  The bont did it again to us.  His last quarter was kouta sequence from the 99 preliminary final.

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
It's a bit of a Catch22 with Jones.

Yep they highlighted his mistakes.
He backed himself and got caught out.
How many times does he back himself and it pays off with a spoil or an intercept mark?

There's 'stuff' he could do better...but we don't want to eradicate a strength.

Reply #7
What Jones did was wrong, whether that is through ignorance or design, but that is clearly not the issue, we have less numbers in D50 than the opposition. The lack of urgency in particular from both Doc and Jones.

But you could argue that Jones may been instructed not to be dragged back to the square eliminating his intercept marking, so are the comments from Lyon and Healy deliberately naivé just to stir the pot?

I fear this is again Barker's mates helping him dodge a bullet!

As I said elsewhere, we simply don't know if he stuffed up or if he's playing to instruction, because we don't have access to behind the scenes information. I like Jones, and him getting to 150 games is Lazarus-like IMO. But I think he's the type of player that really needs a simple task, and he will stick to it diligently and do a good job. I'm not convinced that he has a high footy IQ, or that he's good at thinking on his feet.

I think we can say after the first 8 rounds that Teague simply believing he can outscore the opposition, how matter how many goals they kick, is flawed, at least with the personnel we have available. The concentration of goals among too few players is a big concern of mine. If Harry has an off day, or Betts is injured / rested, then we're stuffed IMO.

Reply #8
It's a bit of a Catch22 with Jones.

Yep they highlighted his mistakes.
He backed himself and got caught out.
How many times does he back himself and it pays off with a spoil or an intercept mark?

There's 'stuff' he could do better...but we don't want to eradicate a strength.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about Fox Footy. Their stock in trade is to sensationalise and exaggerate the negatives.

Reply #9
Jones leaks goals.... If a forward kicks three on you he has done his job imo.
Weitering aside our defense doesn't get the basics right often enough and that is stop your man getting the ball and scoring.
I never mark defenders on possessions it's who they played on and what their opponent did during the game.

Reply #10
The end of the footy told the story better of why we lost to the bulldogs.  We had Judd once.  Would win games by himself against opposition frequently irrespective of how good they were.  The bont did it again to us.  His last quarter was kouta sequence from the 99 preliminary final.

That's exactly what Cripps has been trying to do - go up a gear, inspire his team mates and lead his team to victory. Except Bont is labelled a hero and Cripps is labelled selfish.

Reply #11
That's exactly what Cripps has been trying to do - go up a gear, inspire his team mates and lead his team to victory. Except Bont is labelled a hero and Cripps is labelled selfish.

As Dirty Harry once said "A man has to know his limitations ".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12

Sometimes its as simple as you aren't as good as him and we don't need you to be.

Cripps game this season has been a bit more sacrificial and I'd wager him out and someone else in would result in negating the influence of walsh more to get a net go backwards.

Cripps has had a couple of ordinary weeks in what is his worst season yet so if he stuck to the basics and did those well he'd draw less ire and criticism for it.  Get the ball and give it.

He got the monkey off his back against the bombers and then put it straight back on against the bulldogs.  I still don't know why we don't use him like we did kouta through his struggle years.  Put him back not forward.  Its a place where he'll win more contests and build some confidence.

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Cripps role is to get the ball to the players who can be the match winners.. Bont can do both roles and be the provider and the finisher.