Skip to main content
Topic: The Defence (Read 5462 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Defence

Reply #30
I watched the replay last night and paused it after the very first bounce. I could not believe it. Pittonet taps fwd not down. SO if he wins the very first tap fwd you would expect we would set up to have at least 1 CFC player in that area. NO!! Bulldogs had 2 there! Alone! And one was Bont. Sorry don't care if its Barker or Teague setting that up. You wouldn't set up like that in under 12's. Pretty sure they killed us in first 10 minutes. And this was the first bounce. You have to see it to believe it.
My disappointment is in the thinking behind this. Pitt is against there 3rd ruck man. You should expect to win the tap. He hits fwd. Not back or sideways. Beggars Belief
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #31
Sometimes its as simple as you aren't as good as him and we don't need you to be.

Cripps game this season has been a bit more sacrificial and I'd wager him out and someone else in would result in negating the influence of walsh more to get a net go backwards.

Cripps has had a couple of ordinary weeks in what is his worst season yet so if he stuck to the basics and did those well he'd draw less ire and criticism for it.  Get the ball and give it.

He got the monkey off his back against the bombers and then put it straight back on against the bulldogs.  I still don't know why we don't use him like we did kouta through his struggle years.  Put him back not forward.  Its a place where he'll win more contests and build some confidence.

Yes, I’ve been wondering if there’s a way to engineer him behind the ball to use his height/marking strength to push us back into F50, god knows his strength isn’t kicking it between the big sticks…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #32
The end of the footy told the story better of why we lost to the bulldogs.  We had Judd once.  Would win games by himself against opposition frequently irrespective of how good they were.  The bont did it again to us.  His last quarter was kouta sequence from the 99 preliminary final.

Okay, sell Cripps and buy Bont.

Reply #34
Is Cripps to dominate every thread?

News of Cripps demise shows just how shallow many fans are!

The rock throwers are as weak minded, easily flipped and shallow as those CheatsFC recruiters that laughed at the fat kid!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Blues midfield the easiest apart from Nth to play against according to afl.com.
Zero manning up and accountability from our mids just means extra pressure on the defense. Its either a fail on the players or the coaching staff and we won't improve until we fix it and its hard then to criticise a overwhelmed defense.

Reply #36
Blues midfield the easiest apart from Nth to play against according to afl.com.
Zero manning up and accountability from our mids just means extra pressure on the defense. Its either a fail on the players or the coaching staff and we won't improve until we fix it and its hard then to criticise a overwhelmed defense.

Yep.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/612654/got-the-blues-the-numbers-behind-carlton-s-midfield-malaise

Reply #37
I watched the replay last night and paused it after the very first bounce. I could not believe it. Pittonet taps fwd not down. SO if he wins the very first tap fwd you would expect we would set up to have at least 1 CFC player in that area. NO!! Bulldogs had 2 there! Alone! And one was Bont. Sorry don't care if its Barker or Teague setting that up. You wouldn't set up like that in under 12's. Pretty sure they killed us in first 10 minutes. And this was the first bounce. You have to see it to believe it.
My disappointment is in the thinking behind this. Pitt is against there 3rd ruck man. You should expect to win the tap. He hits fwd. Not back or sideways. Beggars Belief

110% agree. When you watch the actual game like you and I obviously did there is no doubting we are crying out for a ruckman who actually knows how to ruck and not just tap it forward blindly. Even against as you say a third backup ruckman who played 2 games he still at times when he had a clear unopposed tap would just hit it forward. Numb nuts.

Only one more week to get frustrated about it then TDK gets his turn.  Watch Cripps form improve when he get some direct taps his way. Our midfield is undermanned as it is so having to fight and bash for every takeaway at every contest is bloody draining on even the best midfield groups.

Reply #38
@ Shawny

Cripps may benefit around the stoppages with better ruck service but he still will have the major problem of getting to contested ball situations to overcome. He is too often too far behind the play to be effective and just can't seem to make up the ground quickly enough.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
110% agree. When you watch the actual game like you and I obviously did there is no doubting we are crying out for a ruckman who actually knows how to ruck and not just tap it forward blindly. Even against as you say a third backup ruckman who played 2 games he still at times when he had a clear unopposed tap would just hit it forward. Numb nuts.
You imbicile.

Perhaps YOU should watch the game again. He is saying that Pittonets 'go-to' is to tap it forward.
At the very first bounce, we didn't have anyone forward to tap it too. That is a midfield set up problem.
So Pittonet attempted to tap it down to to his right side, where Cuningham and Cripps had the space between them covered. Despite getting his body taken out and falling flat on his back, Pittonet still got the hitout to the spot were it was the most benificial to the way our mids had set up.
However, Cripps failed to pick the ball up off the ground, and the bulldogs swooped in and got the clearance.

What hitman is saying, and its what i was saying, Pittonet was NOT the problem, but our midfield was the problem. We set up in a way that took away one of Pittonets strengths, that is hitting it forward.

You have been on his back peddling BS like the above, the facts are there for all to see.

Go watch the first bounce again, and reread Hitmans post.

Reply #40

Just on this, and i explained it to numbnuts (his word), I've just had a scan of centre bounce hitouts and the bulldogs clearly won the 'setup' battle at them. Funnily enough, when Sweet got hands on the ball first (usually at bounces that should've been recalled mind you) we got the clearance. When Pittonet got it, our players were slow to react and/or fumbled.

There was a couple of times where Pittonet grabbed it out of the ruck himself. Usually because the way the ball was bounced meant he couldn't hit it to where our players was, so he took it upon himself to get the clearance.
On a couple of other occassions he belted the ball forward.
 - One almost reached the corner of the centre square before the dogs flankers/wings got to the loose ball first.
 - One was headed towards the wing/hff where cottrell just followed his man to the ball (Cottrell looked stuffed) and they got the clearance as a result.

What i saw was a frustrated ruck who was winning the hitouts but his teammates were being beaten in the centre bounce setups, and the players on the square were too slow to react. Cripps not being able to bend down properly resulted in at least 3 dogs clearances.....and he was off the ground for the first 5 minutes of game time in the 3rd. Casboult took a lot of ruckwork during this time too.

Reply #41
You imbicile.

Perhaps YOU should watch the game again. He is saying that Pittonets 'go-to' is to tap it forward.
At the very first bounce, we didn't have anyone forward to tap it too. That is a midfield set up problem.
So Pittonet attempted to tap it down to to his right side, where Cuningham and Cripps had the space between them covered. Despite getting his body taken out and falling flat on his back, Pittonet still got the hitout to the spot were it was the most benificial to the way our mids had set up.
However, Cripps failed to pick the ball up off the ground, and the bulldogs swooped in and got the clearance.

What hitman is saying, and its what i was saying, Pittonet was NOT the problem, but our midfield was the problem. We set up in a way that took away one of Pittonets strengths, that is hitting it forward.

You have been on his back peddling BS like the above, the facts are there for all to see.

Go watch the first bounce again, and reread Hitmans post.

Imbecile? Aren’t you a moderator?

Are personal comments now acceptable or are you just one of those typical keyboard warrior ‘tough guy’ hiding behind your computer screen?

Tosser.

Reply #42
Just on this, and i explained it to numbnuts (his word), I've just had a scan of centre bounce hitouts and the bulldogs clearly won the 'setup' battle at them. Funnily enough, when Sweet got hands on the ball first (usually at bounces that should've been recalled mind you) we got the clearance. When Pittonet got it, our players were slow to react and/or fumbled.

There was a couple of times where Pittonet grabbed it out of the ruck himself. Usually because the way the ball was bounced meant he couldn't hit it to where our players was, so he took it upon himself to get the clearance.
On a couple of other occassions he belted the ball forward.
 - One almost reached the corner of the centre square before the dogs flankers/wings got to the loose ball first.
 - One was headed towards the wing/hff where cottrell just followed his man to the ball (Cottrell looked stuffed) and they got the clearance as a result.

What i saw was a frustrated ruck who was winning the hitouts but his teammates were being beaten in the centre bounce setups, and the players on the square were too slow to react. Cripps not being able to bend down properly resulted in at least 3 dogs clearances.....and he was off the ground for the first 5 minutes of game time in the 3rd. Casboult took a lot of ruckwork during this time too.

Omg you’re such a wanker 😂😂

Reply #43

Imbecile? Aren’t you a moderator?

Are personal comments now acceptable or are you just one of those typical keyboard warrior ‘tough guy’ hiding behind your computer screen?

Tosser.

No. I look after the ladies lounge and thats it.

Notice how your replies have moved away from all things football because you have been proven wrong.....again....and you have no other alternative to go the personal attack.
I've been there done that and i'd prefer to be able to call out BS when i see it.....and i do.

Reply #44
No. I look after the ladies lounge and thats it.

Notice how your replies have moved away from all things football because you have been proven wrong.....again....and you have no other alternative to go the personal attack.
I've been there done that and i'd prefer to be able to call out BS when i see it.....and i do.

Another diversion. And more dribble.

Goodbye.