Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 11663 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #180
Spot on Thry....had a discussion with a Carlton mate a couple of years ago and he was suggesting we trade Casboult out....my point was he's worth way more to us that what we'd actually get in a trade anyway so keep him. I remember he played back a few years ago when Jones went down and missed games and did a serviceable job.
I would have played Levi as the third tall last week. Melbourne have 3 tall forwards and we only thrashed 2 of them. Playing Levi on Weidemann would have been an invitation for Levi to take 20 marks and really hurt Melbourne.

It would also have forces us NOT to bomb the ball into the forward line, which would have given our small forwards more of a chance. But we don't open pathways for people to lead into. We usually ignore the leading forward unless he is 80 m from goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #181
Watched the tape this morning.   There's been a bit of discussion recently about our lack of physicality and it was really noticeable,  especially around marking contests.   We're clearly too clean around the contest and dont push the boundaries.
  For example, towards the end of the second quarter Hunt took a mark from a short pass (and subsequently drilled a critical goal) which Murphy didn't exactly extend himself to intercept.  One of those moments whereby a bit more was clearly required.  Setterfield is another who gets out marked across half back bit too easily for my taste and not a defender's A-hole .... Nice footballer but that attitude won't win one on one contests, which is a defender's job description.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #182
Setterfield is another who gets out marked across half back bit too easily for my taste and not a defender's A-hole .... Nice footballer but that attitude won't win one on one contests, which is a defender's job description.
Isn't this what many of us are writing about, the use of players away from their best position?

It's like we forgotten for all other players what getting Jones into his right position did!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #183
Isn't this what many of us are writing about, the use of players away from their best position?

It's like we forgotten for all other players what getting Jones into his right position did!

We've been doing it for years, slow learners.
Reality always wins in the end.